Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

37 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'd be supportive of a safe standing bit at Fir Park - but, spending a six figure sum on it will, I predict, see the more gammony, main stand type of punter go mental. It's a hostage to fortune that will be cast up every time we lose a run of the mill league game. 

I think we *have* to make an environment that hooks younger supporters so we've got them for life and some new terracing would help with that, so it is an investment - but the club would need to sell it very carefully...

Agree with this and also @well fan for life's point above.

It's credit to the club that they're savvy enough to identify the Bois as an asset and getting Derek to do his bit in the ST campaign is a smart move. It's "a.good.thing" to see the club largely on the same page with that section especially when you look around the league and see the apparent friction at other clubs. 

I've mentioned it before but I think this ST campaign has been great.

However as WFFL says if you frame it as "we're going to spend £100k (or whatever it costs) that we don't really need to as everyone in that section stands anyway" then I'd fully expect heads gone. A direct choice between railed seats and being able to bring in a couple of players would see only one winner and it's not an entirely unreasonable POV.

I mean, people are already back on their tired rhetoric about "wasting budget" on actual players we're signing let alone spending six figures that could conceivably limit the player budget.

That said, given we spent some money re-roofing the East Stand, replacing the scoreboard and added some extra turfed areas behind the goals for warm up areas and (as far as I'm aware) no one batted an eyelid I'd think if there was a packaged "renovation" plan that it could be incorporated into then it'd be worth looking into...see if there's some sort of grant/sponsorship/funding and if it can be presented as us not spending our own money then no one's really got a comeback on it.

Edited by capt_oats

Fee agreed with Celtic for Turnbull which ‘vastly exceeds our previous record fee’ and will be ‘truly transformational for the club’.

..I’m still raging it’s Celtic though.

Step forward Southampton, Brighton, Barnsley and whoever else to match the fee and let DT take his pick of clubs.

Edit : Sky Sports reporting it as £3m plus add ons.