Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Would definitely still be too rich for us IMO.

It's been more of an ongoing discussion over on Steelmen but @Swello touched on it earlier: I reckon the Turnbull money (when it comes) gets partly banked, partly re-invested into the Academy and tarts Fir Park up a bit (along with a modest increase in playing budget). I'd be amazed if we started chucking sizeable fees about again. Maybe £50k here or there but nothing substantial.

Aye I imagine itll be Aberdeen chucking money about, but first thought was you lot. Dont know if "invest to accumulate" is technically the plan Motherwell have transfer wise.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye I imagine itll be Aberdeen chucking money about, but first thought was you lot. Dont know if "invest to accumulate" is technically the plan Motherwell have transfer wise.

I get the feeling that there are enough of us in the stands and around the club still scarred by watching McLeish set fire to the O'Donnell money that (hopefully) we'll be a bit more prudent.

Btw, the answer to your WAP post is 2 players have scored the same number of league goals (or more) as Turnbull from CM since 2000.

Barry Ferguson (Rangers) in 2002/03 - 16 in 36
Stuart Armstrong (Celtic) in 2015/16 - 15 in 31.

Both more experienced and playing for teams that won the league. ;)

Edited by capt_oats

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I get the feeling that there are enough of us in the stands and around the club still scarred by watching McLeish set fire to the O'Donnell money that (hopefully) we'll be a bit more prudent.

Btw, the answer to your WAP post is 2 players have scored the same number of league goals (or more) as Turnbull from CM since 2000.

Barry Ferguson (Rangers) in 2002/03 - 16 in 36
Stuart Armstrong (Celtic) in 2015/16 - 15 in 31.

Both more experienced and playing for teams that won the league. ;)

For your own sake dont read WAP, especially Cageys posts. Unless hes personally seen players play like Messi then they're shite.

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Wes Fletcher has looked fucking miserable in every photo ever taken of him. 

Exactly!*

*I do realise that by using this system, Bigi should have been at Messi levels of quality.

Genuinely no idea if the news announcements are just ghosted or not but I see Robinson's quoted as saying he can play across the front 3.

“He’s got pace to burn, has an incredible work rate and can play anywhere across the front three, which will give us plenty of variety going forward.”

Going back to @Casagolda's point earlier about the striker situation the fact that it seems out default this season is going to be 433 surely means that Johnson is indeed destined for a season on the bench.

Incidentally I see Long was playing with Beneghan last season.

Also:

Spoiler

Yes it's a Development game. Yes it looks like it's played on a public park but....oooooooft.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, CSmith said:

Good to see that SO have already written off the new guy and Robinson’s recruitment strategy is already flawed and poor. God I love pre-pre-season...

SO is a fucking weird place. The wild extent of knee-jerk is pretty much why I sacked off posting there (though I admit I take a peek every now and again).

Fwiw: Long's goalscoring record, which I'm guessing is the issue, is largely similar to Tanner.

Craig Tanner (24) - 22 in 144 games
Chris Long (24) - 22 in 133 games

Long's played mostly at Championship/League 1 level too whereas Tanner was largely League 2 with Plymouth.

It's almost as if he might not be intended as a #9...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

I was gonna say, that’s both him and Hylton been signed as ‘forwards’, with neither looking like the traditional ‘no 9’ we’ve all being talking about- the focal point if you will. 

So I’d imagine/think that’s still to come? Unless we’re just going for a fluid, interchangeable front three for next season.  

9 hours ago, Munoz said:

Motherwell can hardly take credit for Lambert who had 10years at St Mirren previous to a short stay at Fir Park.

10 year a jobber. We saw he had a player in there, brought it out.

I love a signing. Who knows what any of them will be like.

36 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I was gonna say, that’s both him and Hylton been signed as ‘forwards’, with neither looking like the traditional ‘no 9’ we’ve all being talking about- the focal point if you will. 

So I’d imagine/think that’s still to come? Unless we’re just going for a fluid, interchangeable front three for next season.  

4 rampaging wingers, outside left, inside left, inside right, outside right, no striker, the 4 of them marauding forward, we’ll go down in history

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Aye, roughly speaking this is where it looks like we are just now (subject to change obvs). Long could easily be the back-up FC but looking at some of the goals he's scored a lot of them have been from outside the box so if he's able to cut inside and ping them then who knows...

I'd say we're 3 starting players short (ie: the front 3).

5cfece4a34174_ScreenShot2019-06-10at22_39_49.png.bf65f65ade8f9ab4017704b0100813ca.png

Edited by capt_oats