Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

56 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I was in the away end as a neutral for my first Well game in the mid nineties vs Killie. Motherwell won 2-0 Coyle or Coyne scored a double and the Killie fans were raging because they scored a penalty but the ref made them retake it and Woods saved it.

My next Well game was 2001 or 2002 away to Kilmarnock in the Scottish cup with my Motherwell supporting pal. I just remember there was a huge support and Faddy scored a penalty to win 1-0.

It was Coyle who scored the double in that first game you mentioned, just after he signed in January 1997 so they might well have been his first goals for the club. It was Scott Howie in goal and not Woods that night and he made a superb save from Paul Wright's re-taken penalty. The referee (Martin Clark I'm sure) was forced off injured after only a few minutes so the linesman took over, but in the days before 4th officials I am absolutely sure that it was someone from the East Stand who ended up running the line. 

The second game you mentioned was in 2003 and was the start of our Cup run all the way to the semis that year. Daddy scored in front of a big away support and it was a good, proper Cup day out. We went back down there on the Wednesday night and lost 0-1 after Dubourdeu elbowed their player inside the box in the last minute.

First game v st Mirren in a league cup section match in 1968 , the well won 6-0. This was a Saturday and on the Monday night played Albion rovers in the second division (motherwell had been relegated the previous season) and won 7-0  and it's been all downhill since. What a season that was , we won the league and scored over 100 goals and this was the legend Joe wark's first season.

My first game was IIRC in the 99/00 season, a 1-0 win at home over St Johnstone, Kevin Twaddle scoring in the 9th minute. I went with a friend and his dad for a laugh, and was hooked from that day on :)

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Same season at Ibrox...

Can we discuss the 'scenes' for that second goal?

I thought Ainworth play-off was class but that is glorious

Sidenote - don't know who's channel this is but it is class. Spent many a night watching old games on there

Edited by Luke92

7 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Can we discuss the 'scenes' for that second goal?

I thought Ainworth play-off was class but that is glorious

The scenes when O'Donnell put us a goal up at Ibrox when we were defending the cup was even better as we had the entire bottom deck of the Broomloan (for the only time?). Stop watching immediately after the goal as it all goes downhill....

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

The scenes when O'Donnell put us a goal up at Ibrox when we were defending the cup was even better as we had the entire bottom deck of the Broomloan (for the only time?). Stop watching immediately after the goal as it all goes downhill....

Not quite #scenes but celebrating in "the worst possible way by some supporters" is always good for a laugh.

Edited by capt_oats

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Not quite #scenes but celebrating in "the worst possible way by some supporters" is always good for a laugh.

Can't beat a diving header where the ball is 6 inches off the ground.  Was there that night, Muirhouse bus.  It was eventful outside afterwards as I recall!

Good to see the club aren't giving up easily. I honestly didn't see the bidding starting so early, if we keep this up for the summer there could be a lot bigger clubs involved from down south.

A lot of folk were scoffing at suggestions of 4m, i honestly think this is what we should holding out for.

Giving me the fear the thought of him going to Celtic, honestly would be a kick in the baws

2 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Good to see the club aren't giving up easily. I honestly didn't see the bidding starting so early, if we keep this up for the summer there could be a lot bigger clubs involved from down south.

A lot of folk were scoffing at suggestions of 4m, i honestly think this is what we should holding out for.

Giving me the fear the thought of him going to Celtic, honestly would be a kick in the baws

Celtic will pull out of the running just like did with John McGinn.