Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Indeed.  I do wonder how many adult ST's we actually sell.  As well as the free kids tickets, you'll also have a number of high school kids who can pick theirs up for £20 as well. 

Still, it's great to see the overall numbers rising.  The more 'Well fans in Fir Park the better. 

Aye, I'm curious simply out of curiosity, rather than trying to do anybody down about the figures. 

I'm all for the cheapo season tickets for kids, filling the place with kids having a good time with their mates is a very long term good thing. 

This was my first game, I think:

52 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd imagine I'm more or less one of the youngest on this thread- my first game was a loss to 1st Division St Johnstone to put us out the cup in the Malpas season.

I've no idea why I ever came back tbh.

Undoubtedly, thee worst season I have ever watched...and that guy is a p***k of the highest order.

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Aye, I'm curious simply out of curiosity, rather than trying to do anybody down about the figures. 

I'm all for the cheapo season tickets for kids, filling the place with kids having a good time with their mates is a very long term good thing. 

This was my first game, I think:

That 4th goal though.

14 minutes ago, Swello said:

I feel fucking ancient.

My first one was in the first season "back" in the Premier in 85/86 - but I don't remember much. First game I remember clearly was a game a year or two later where we were 3-0 up against Dundee at half time - ended up in a 3-3 draw. Set the tone perfectly.

Haven't a clue when my 1st game was, but I'd hazard a guess that it will have been around about the same time...my memory has always been an issue though, I literally couldn't tell you who scored in our last couple of games of the season, never mind what happened in the 80s. 

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

I feel fucking ancient.

My first one was in the first season "back" in the Premier in 85/86 - but I don't remember much. First game I remember clearly was a game a year or two later where we were 3-0 up against Dundee at half time - ended up in a 3-3 draw. Set the tone perfectly.

I remember Gordon Banks in an early game, going to guess 1970

@thisGRAEME must in a rare club where their first game was an Away game. 

My first game was on 2 March 1991 when we lost 3-1 to Hearts at Fir Park.  Jim Griffin scored the 'Well goal.  I remember next to nothing of the game itself, only leaving the East Stand with my Dad with the game not finished yet.  A couple of weeks later, I was at the 0-0 Morton cup game where, just after Iain Ferguson blazed over a late chance, the camera pans by me sitting on the East Stand wall being held by my Dad.  A very small and early claim to fame to appear in the 'Simply the Greatest' video!

In my first few years , I saw us win the Scottish Cup (no trophy since), I got to watch the McLean side of the mid 90s nearly win the league and then I got the future Champions League winners Borussia Dortmund turning up to Fir Park at a stupid kick-off time, meaning I got a half-day off school.  It was a fair shock when McLeish worked his magic...

I was a bit gutted when the League Cup fixtures were announced this season.  I counted out that on my first game, I was 4 years, 2 months and 14 days old.  If we'd had a home game on Tuesday 16th July this year, my daughter would be 4 years, 2 months and 14 days old and it would be have been magic to take her to her first game.  Sadly, it wasn't to be!

40 minutes ago, Swello said:

I feel fucking ancient.

Quite. My first game was a 2-1 loss to St Mirren in December 1986. Tbh, I only really remember it because I've still got the programme and looked up the result.  I have a feeling we went 1 up and shipped 2 goals in the last 10 minutes.

It was around 1988 when I started going more regularly.

I've never been a ST holder which is 100% a learned thing as my Dad never really saw the point back then. We always just went along paid at the gate and that was that.

The first game I went to that I was aware enough to actually know I was at a football game to support Motherwell was against St Johnstone. I would've been about 6, so a quick Google to throw up the few it could've been, I'm leaning to thinking it would've been us beating St Johnstone 1-0 on the 30th October 1999, where Kevin Twaddle scored on the 9th minute. 

On top of that, my earliest memories are multiple attempts to play a cup replay against Arbroath in round about the same time. I'm sure I've seen it talked about before for how many times the replay was attempted.

On the season tickets, I stopped mine a couple of seasons ago on the basis that I don't go to the home old firm games either, and often miss a couple more home games through other commitments etc, so no point from that viewpoint. 

Edited by BigTamMuller

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd imagine I'm more or less one of the youngest on this thread- my first game was a loss to 1st Division St Johnstone to put us out the cup in the Malpas season.

I've no idea why I ever came back tbh.

I remember that well.  Mainly because I made a good few quid backing St Johnstone that day.  Malpas's 3 Irish duds all featured:

Motherwell: Graeme Smith, Corrigan, Craigan, Reynolds, Murphy (Clarkson 73), McGarry (Molloy 58), Kerr, Fitzpatrick (Keegan 82), Paterson, McCormack, McDonald.
Subs Not Used: Martin, Quinn.

1 minute ago, Pettigrew said:

I remember that well.  Mainly because I made a good few quid backing St Johnstone that day.  Malpas's 3 Irish duds all featured:

Motherwell: Graeme Smith, Corrigan, Craigan, Reynolds, Murphy (Clarkson 73), McGarry (Molloy 58), Kerr, Fitzpatrick (Keegan 82), Paterson, McCormack, McDonald.
Subs Not Used: Martin, Quinn.

Pretty sure there was some sort of controversy over somebody in the East Stand racially abusing Jason Scotland too. Luckily I only caught the Motherwell bug instead of turning into a racist.

One of my first West Ham games was at Fir Park, watching a testimonial. Must have been around 1998. 

Got the programme somewhere with signatures from Rio Ferdinand, Harry Redknapp, Frank Lampard, Ian Wright and a few others. 

Think it finished 1-1. 

I was in the away end as a neutral for my first Well game in the mid nineties vs Killie. Motherwell won 2-0 Coyle or Coyne scored a double and the Killie fans were raging because they scored a penalty but the ref made them retake it and Woods saved it.

My next Well game was 2001 or 2002 away to Kilmarnock in the Scottish cup with my Motherwell supporting pal. I just remember there was a huge support and Faddy scored a penalty to win 1-0.

I then got a free/cheap (can’t remember) season ticket through Strathaven academy when I was third year and I’ve been a regular ever since. A season ticket isn’t cost effective anymore. You always miss a game for weddings, stag doos and other shit so I’m better off with pay at the gate.

We used to get free tickets at primary school during the 02/03 season (when we finished bottom).

My first game was against Livingston and I always thought that we conceded in the first minute. I've just looked it up and it turns out it took them 9 minutes to score. We went on to lose 5-1. My next game was against Dundee United a few weeks later and Jim Hamilton scored for them in the first minute in that game so i'm possibly getting both games mixed up. We ended up losing that one 2-1.