Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Am I the sort of person who would spend half an hour on a Saturday morning clipping some GIFs of his goals? Yes, yes I am.

Please don't judge me.

giphy.gif

Hide contents

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is god's work.

2 hours ago, CSmith said:

Thing is, we’ve already confirmed Frear and Hastie have gone, Cadden looks rather unlikely that he’ll be playing for us next season and despite us trying to keep Ariyibi, he hasn’t yet signed. Surely that means the only winger we can guarantee that we have is Hylton, meaning we’ve potentially lost 4 and so far only have confirmed 1. Makes sense to be looking for a good few

Aye, but I would like to see 4 across the front, Turnbull behind, any jobbers you want across the back

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Related to that, the official site has now refreshed the squad lists (Cadden's still there for the moment):

First Team:
GK: Carson / Ferguson / Gillespie
DF: Tait / Hartley / Dunne / Donnelly
MF: Cadden / Campbell / Grimshaw / Turnbull
FW: Johnson / Tanner

Interesting that Donnelly appears to have been given another year without a proper announcement. (Unless I’ve missed one of course.)

42 minutes ago, CSmith said:

Interesting that Donnelly appears to have been given another year without a proper announcement. (Unless I’ve missed one of course.)

Nah, he was signed on a 2 year deal.

Motherwell FC can confirm the signing of Hartlepool United defender Liam Donnelly.

The 22-year-old Northern Ireland international centre back has signed an initial two-year contract, subject to the usual registration formalities, with the club paying an undisclosed fee for his services.

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Nah, he was signed on a 2 year deal.

Genuinely forgot that. I was under the assumption that he was in the group of 1 year deals for the likes of Rose, Grimmy, ARG, Mbulu etc

17 hours ago, ropy said:

Aye, but I would like to see 4 across the front, Turnbull behind, any jobbers you want across the back

I'm all over this like a tramp roond chips tbqhwy.

On 28/05/2019 at 10:01, Pettigrew said:

Understand that they came to a severance agreement a couple of weeks back to prevent that happening.  Not seen it publicised anywhere yet though. 

Now confirmed on sky sports news 

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

Bit late on the Daniel Powell chat so apologies, but a relatively interesting article below. Comparisons to Ainsworth...

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/analysis/motherwell-should-approach-reported-interest-in-northampton-towns-daniel-powell-with-caution/

Not even opened the article- SIGN HIM UP

9 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Bit late on the Daniel Powell chat so apologies, but a relatively interesting article below. Comparisons to Ainsworth...

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/analysis/motherwell-should-approach-reported-interest-in-northampton-towns-daniel-powell-with-caution/

Saw that the other day. It's a pretty weirdly written article tbh. Fwiw, the boy that writes the blog seems to be a Motherwell fan.

I noticed a short conversation in the mentions between the writer and a local journo re: Powell. Tbh, he sounds exactly like the type of player we'd be in for.

5cf618ceaa604_ScreenShot2019-06-04at08_06_37.png.17fa17194cfec2e9cb4e73eaadb01cc2.png

Anyway I found a few more goals from Powell that are more recent than the ones I posted at the weekend.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

To the surprise of absolutely no one, Ross McCormack has been released by Villa.

Does anyone think it would be worth offering him a deal? If we can get him fit and enjoying football again then there's definitely still a player in there. Obviously we couldn't pay anywhere near what he was on at Villa but 3 goals in 3 seasons along with various other issues doesn't really put him in the strongest negotiation position.

40 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

To the surprise of absolutely no one, Ross McCormack has been released by Villa.

Does anyone think it would be worth offering him a deal? If we can get him fit and enjoying football again then there's definitely still a player in there. Obviously we couldn't pay anywhere near what he was on at Villa but 3 goals in 3 seasons along with various other issues doesn't really put him in the strongest negotiation position.

I think Robinson couldn't wait to get rid tbh

Aye, Robinson’s already on record as emphatically ruling that one out.

Given he was sent back to Villa a month after he arrived due to a mysterious ‘calf injury’, then was never spoken of by the club again, I’m going to go out on a limb and say Robinson wasn’t overly enamoured with his attitude and sent him packing. 

To be honest at 32 and already a multi millionaire, you have to wonder what motivation he actually has left to get himself back fit and playing again.

As @Casagolda says, Robinson was emphatic in ruling it out as a possibility when asked about it at the time.

Tbh, despite our post-break form being v.good (Top 6-worthy) in hindsight it's pretty disappointing when you start thinking how much more fun a side with an interested and even half-fit McCormack could have been alongside Turnbull, Gorrin, Campbell, Hastie and Ariyibi rather than Main spending his time running around being physical.

Tbh I was pretty gutted about the whole McCormack thing, it would have been class to see him come back up the road and work his magic. I didn't realise just how far off it he was in terms of fitness. In the games he played he honestly looked like a normal civilian dragged off the street chucked into a professional football game, was pretty eye opening. It was really shite to see, especially when he starred in my favourite Motherwell team.

I hope for his sake he finds the passion again to play at a decent level but I'm not convinced.

From the start he never seemed like a Robinson type player. I don't know if the transfer was all contact through Burrows or how it actually came to be. In January things were pretty desperate for us and on the face of it looked like an unbelievable signing. Again though, I think Robinson would have been mad to turn a player of his quality down but the whole thing just didn't work at all.

Edited by Luke92

The league cup home fixtures are out now:

2019/20 BETFRED CUP GROUP E FIXTURES

Saturday, 13 July: Queen of the South (A), 3pm

Friday, 19 July: Greenock Morton (H), 7.45pm

Tuesday, 23 July: Dumbarton (A), 7.45pm

Saturday, 27 July: Annan Athletic (H), 3pm

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2019/06/04/motherwell-to-start-season-at-queen-of-the-south/

Surprised at the Morton game being televised.