Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Let's be honest. I'd be astounded if there isn't a host of clubs willing to throw a couple of million at Motherwell to take him.  It's pocket money to clubs down in England and it's not exactly a massive risk.

I don't think he'll play for Motherwell again, and it's a shame he missed out on his hat-trick today. 

A couple of million - get tae f*ck. 

McKenna is worth £5m +

A player today went for £13m from Bristol City to Bournemouth. He was in England under 21 squad. 

The facts are if Turnbull was at Blackburn or say Middlesborough he would be being touted at £5m+ easy.

He is level on goals as Edouard FFS. A striker that plays with the best team in the league and cost circa £8m

A player is worth only what people are prepared to pay but Turnbull is easily worth £3m+ in today’s inflated market. 

Anything less and NO Thanks. Would rather him see out his contract and please the Well fans. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

A couple of million - get tae f*ck. 

McKenna is worth £5m +

A player today went for £13m from Bristol City to Bournemouth. He was in England under 21 squad. 

The facts are if Turnbull was at Blackburn or say Middlesborough he would be being touted at £5m+ easy.

He is level on goals as Edouard FFS. A striker that plays with the best team in the league and cost circa £8m

A player is worth only what people are prepared to pay but Turnbull is easily worth £3m+ in today’s inflated market. 

Anything less and NO Thanks. Would rather him see out his contract and please the Well fans. 

Be realistic. Comparing him to Edouard? Behave. He cost £9m a year ago is probably on not far off £20k a week at Celtic. 

Also, you can't look at a transfer between two English clubs and demand similar fees. They are on a different planet, fee wise, plus English players going to English clubs are always at a premium and go for 2x or 3x what they're actually worth. 

What you really should be looking at is Andy Robertson (£2.75m to Hull) and Ryan Gauld (£3m to Lisbon) when they left Scotland. Exceptional young Scottish players, the same as Turnbull is.

Ultimately though, Motherwell aren't in a position to turn down £2m for a player and let him "see out his contract", or demand £5m plus.  This isn't Football Manager. That's fucking insanity.  If we can get a wee bit more than £2m then great, but for me the key is to get a sell-on clause included.  IMO, Turnbull can go to the very top, so 15% of a crazy English transfer fee three or four years down the line will be very fucking tasty. 

Burrows, Lasley etc aren't daft.  These recent tweets, and articles in the paper, are marketing ploys. I have no doubts we will be actively trying to sell him this summer following the recent press and awards he's received but at the same time, I now have trust in those in charge at the club to get a very, very good deal for all parties. 

Edited by Desp

51 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Turnbull is basically Tom Rogic if he could play 90 minutes. 

Not having that. Tom Rogic NEEDS 15 yards of space. 

6 hours ago, Desp said:

Be realistic. Comparing him to Edouard? Behave. He cost £9m a year ago is probably on not far off £20k a week at Celtic. 

Also, you can't look at a transfer between two English clubs and demand similar fees. They are on a different planet, fee wise, plus English players going to English clubs are always at a premium and go for 2x or 3x what they're actually worth. 

What you really should be looking at is Andy Robertson (£2.75m to Hull) and Ryan Gauld (£3m to Lisbon) when they left Scotland. Exceptional young Scottish players, the same as Turnbull is.

Ultimately though, Motherwell aren't in a position to turn down £2m for a player and let him "see out his contract", or demand £5m plus.  This isn't Football Manager. That's fucking insanity.  If we can get a wee bit more than £2m then great, but for me the key is to get a sell-on clause included.  IMO, Turnbull can go to the very top, so 15% of a crazy English transfer fee three or four years down the line will be very fucking tasty. 

Burrows, Lasley etc aren't daft.  These recent tweets, and articles in the paper, are marketing ploys. I have no doubts we will be actively trying to sell him this summer following the recent press and awards he's received but at the same time, I now have trust in those in charge at the club to get a very, very good deal for all parties. 

Re your comments on Edouard. If our transfer fees were based on salary paid then none of our players would be worth more than a few hundred thousand. 

I was not saying we should price Turnbull at same as Edouard but I am saying legitimately that in many ways he ought to be as valuable. One is a striker playing for the best team and another is a midfielder who was possibly expected to chip in with a few goals but has scored the same and probably in less games. 

I know we will never get the inflated fees that they get in England. I also know the club are probably not in a position to turn down a respectable offer. Hopefully though they are in a position to ensure we get a decent fee. If that means waiting until Xmas then so be it. 

As for the club touting him and talking up his value. Marketing ploys maybe, but I expect that it is the plaudits coming from pundits and awards and praise from journalists that will have other clubs sit up and take notice down south. 

Sadly I expect him to be offski towards very end of the next transfer window especially if he’s starts next season the way he finished this one. Ideal scenarios would be a team from down south in top flight buys him and loans him back for a season. 

Edouard was at PSG, was one of the best players at an International Youth Tournament for France, had already played in the Champions League and was already a proven scorer in the league he was moving too.

Turnbull has one good season in the Scottish top flight.

I'd love Motherwell to get over £5m for him, it should drive the prices of every Scottish based youth up as he looks like he'll be a success, but hes nowhere near Edouard in terms of perceived value just now. Mental talk.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Edouard was at PSG, was one of the best players at an International Youth Tournament for France, had already played in the Champions League and was already a proven scorer in the league he was moving too.

Turnbull has one good season in the Scottish top flight.

I'd love Motherwell to get over £5m for him, it should drive the prices of every Scottish based youth up as he looks like he'll be a success, but hes nowhere near Edouard in terms of perceived value just now. Mental talk.

Sensible post but highlights what’s wrong with Scottish football in terms of transfer values. Turnbull’s a better player, potentially a much better player, but he’s at Motherwell, not PSG or Celtic/ Sevco etc.

If Aberdeen want £5m for McKenna we should be looking for at least that for Turnbull. Realistically though, we might get around £2m max, plus add ons. Hibs got £2.75m for McGinn (i think) but Hibs are a bigger club than Motherwell.

2 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

Sensible post but highlights what’s wrong with Scottish football in terms of transfer values. Turnbull’s a better player, potentially a much better player, but he’s at Motherwell, not PSG or Celtic/ Sevco etc.

If Aberdeen want £5m for McKenna we should be looking for at least that for Turnbull. Realistically though, we might get around £2m max, plus add ons. Hibs got £2.75m for McGinn (i think) but Hibs are a bigger club than Motherwell.

Turnbull hasnt proven hes a better player than Edouard, and you're speaking entirely as a Motherwell fan in claiming that. Hes obviously good and hes more exciting than McKenna, but the basic facts are McKenna is a Scotland International with two good seasons for Aberdeen and games in Europe, and the highest offer they've received is apparently around £4m. Turnbull has one good season of league football for Motherwell.

Again, with McGinn, he had more seasons behind him.

Ideally, you'd keep Turnbull for another season, he'd do even better than this season and would earn Scotland caps, and I do believe you could look at closer to £5m than £2m, but theres definitely a reluctance for English clubs to spend money up here. 

I think Turnbull is a brilliant player but facts are that if he's playing for Motherwell we're never getting £5 million+ for him. If we get over £2 million for him I think we're doing well. That's not to say that I don't think he's worth that but most Scottish clubs aren't in a position to hold clubs to ransom.

The way forward for clubs in this country (including Celtic to an extent, with van Dijk being an example) is to get a reasonable transfer fee with a sizeable sell on. If we can get £2 million for Turnbull just now with, say, a 25% sell on then that probably represents decent business as far as the club are concerned.

What a season though. Turnbull has scored the same number of goals, from midfield, in a team that before Christmas looked like it was in real danger of relegation. He has almost single handedly turned Motherwell around this season. 

Edouard has played a couple of extra games, as a striker, in a team that is comfortably better than its opposition, creates multiple more chances, and has sauntered to the league title. 

I do take your point, and of course I’m biased, but I wouldn’t swap  Turnbull for Edouard. 

Edited by 18May1991

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I think Turnbull is a brilliant player but facts are that if he's playing for Motherwell we're never getting £5 million+ for him. If we get over £2 million for him I think we're doing well. That's not to say that I don't think he's worth that but most Scottish clubs aren't in a position to hold clubs to ransom.

The way forward for clubs in this country (including Celtic to an extent, with van Dijk being an example) is to get a reasonable transfer fee with a sizeable sell on. If we can get £2 million for Turnbull just now with, say, a 25% sell on then that probably represents decent business as far as the club are concerned.

Agreed 100%. Think that’s around what we will get for him, but it’s frustrating as hell. As someone said a few posts up, if he were an English championship player, think what he’d be valued at......

Turnbull's done us a turn by signing that 2 year deal as it gives us <Seinfeld>'hands'</Seinfeld>. Anyone who thinks we're not going to reciprocate that in good faith if we get an 'acceptable' offer from a club that the bold Div wants to join is just daft. We're in the business of player trading that means doing deals that keeps everyone happy not hanging prohibitive price tags on players that put money clubs off having a look at them.

In the clubs history we've sold precisely 2 players for more than £1m...Phil O'Donnell which is the current 'official' record at £1.75m and James McFadden for £1.25m (with add ons, he may well be the 'unofficial' record). Long story short anything over £2m becomes a record fee.

As @Ron Aldo says in the post above, if we get £2m+ with a good sell on we're doing well. If someone comes along and says "here's £5m" then of course we take it, but it's a wholly unrealistic starting point.

Burrows has already set out his stall saying publicly that anyone who wants him will need to pay a "record fee". There's your starting point. I'm pretty sure Flow would like as much for the player as possible but there's a certain reality here: there's tons of potential there but he's playing for a club that's finished 8th in the Scottish Premiership (he's not playing in the English Championship) and this is his first full season.

We may luck out and see a genuine auction but either way a fee of around £2.5m-£3m (ie: ballpark of Robertson, Gauld and McGinn) clears the debt to Boyle and Hutchison and further stabilises the club for the foreseeable. A sell on gives the potential of getting a bit more rich.

Post-match yesterday Robinson set out our market when he effectively said if we get interest from "big" clubs around the top of the Championship or Premier League and there's an acceptable deal then "we won't stand in his way". Which is entirely the correct position to take.

All in all though, he's been fucking brilliant and if he does move to the big leagues this summer absolutely good luck to him. With the award nominations to back up the general hype this is a window that should really see him attract proper attention.

For a bit of context; he's scored 15 league goals in 30 appearances,  aside from being a comparable rate to Moult who was an actual centre forward (15 in 38 in 15/16 and 15 in 31 in 16/17) Turnbull's on par with Stuart Armstrong's most prolific season at Celtic where he scored 15 in 31 league games during their Invincibles season and his 7th full career season.

I mean, that's quite good.

Edited by capt_oats

On 17/05/2019 at 22:51, Swello said:

The mention of the winger was interesting as it surely confirms that at least one of Frear and Gboly won't be here next year (Gboly obviously isn't our player anyway)....

The other one (that I had suspected might happen), is the 2nd chance for Donnelly to get himself fit and have a go at it....

Robinson mentioned in an interview with Sky after the game that Frear was leaving as well.

So that basically just leaves Cadden in terms of the out of contract players and he has us by the baws really, as he knows full well the club can’t afford to pull his offer for compensation reasons.

On Donnelly, I was one of his  biggest critics but I was fair chuffed for him yesterday. Scored and went on to have a decent game, til he got moved to left back. When you see him tuck away pens for N.Ireland or ping free kicks into the top bin for our reserves you can’t help but think the boy must have something about him, certainly more than he’s shown for us. Robinson seems to suggest it’s nothing to do with lack of talent, so hopefully he gets the head down now and has a good pre-season.  

Nothing else really surprised me yesterday. Turnbull is just exceptional, enjoy him while we can before he moves on. Ariyibi is a joy to watch, outrageously talented but could do with a bit more end product. Better this week from Cadden, however I would still take the money this summer over keeping him. Who was the last Motherwell keeper to save 4 pens in one season by the way? Incredible stuff from Gillespie and Carson will have a hard time displacing him- assuming they’re both still here which I’m not convinced they will be.

Also good to see two more youngsters get their debut, no real surprises it was the two Mo Ross identified on the podcast last week. Has been the real high point of this season seeing our own youngsters get their chance and flourishing, long may it continue.

Edited by Casagolda

You do get the impression Turnbull has it in him to go up a few more gears tbh. Obviously we'll never be in a position to be KB'ing multi million pound offfers, but I'd love to see him kick on for another full season. No real reason why he couldn't hit at least 20 from midfield really.