Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Aldred is typical of the journeyman defender , will bounce from club to club depending on the highest bidder .

It's a short career , and sticking around at a club for which you have no great affiliation when you can double or treble your earnings elsewhere , is never on the agenda .

He's been fantastic for us over the piece , but the only reason he rocked back up at Fir Park this season is that he had no chance of a game at Bury , and he could come here and put himself in the window , whilst still receiving a good wage . 

Good luck to him.If the Australia move comes off , fantastic lifestyle and money . Will always be grateful for his contribution , especially the two goals and full-time bounce at Hamilton .

As above. Tom has done a solid job for us last couple of seasons.

Would love to see home stay but with our salary range never going to happen. 

Was surprised to hear Maurice Ross on the podcast say we had the 2nd lowest wage budget in the top flight.  I would have thought and still do think it would have been higher than Livi, St Mirren and Hamilton. Maybe with bonuses etc thrown in. 

Good luck wherever he goes but strong rumours it is Australia with Brisbane roar where Robbie Fowler is in charge. 

Aldred was one that I would have loved to see hang around but we  all know the way it works with money, so good luck to him. Until the day he goes, I'll remain mystified that Bury and their supporters didn't rate him.

Apart from all the football, the wee video of him and Bowman dancing after the SC Semi win over Aberdeen was one of my favourite things last season as for me it summed up that when you take the wage budget stuff out the equation, some of these lower league English players can get involved in games up here that will be career highlights for them. 

I think the thing with Aldred is that he falls into a pretty rare bracket of a loan signing that feels permanent. Obviously he's been great and everything but (if selected) the game against Livi will be his 62nd appearance for us. That's a very decent return for someone that presumably Bury are still paying a chunk of a wage for.

We've got a season and a half out of him, given the model and all that then had he been a permanent signing you'd probably have expected him to be looking at other options around now anyway.

Some boy and like everyone else will definitely be sad to see him move on.

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Was surprised to hear Maurice Ross on the podcast say we had the 2nd lowest wage budget in the top flight.  I would have thought and still do think it would have been higher than Livi, St Mirren and Hamilton. Maybe with bonuses etc thrown in. 

I expect that we pay less than St Mirren, more than Livi, and that Hamilton don't actually pay their players.

23 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Love Tam, and sad to see him go. 

Always seemed like he was having a good laugh here, while being magic at the fitba. Fair play.

This.

Plus his song is fantastic. 

There's yer Scott Mullen tweeting. "Understood" Aldred, McHugh and Gorrin all away. Wee Al has been offered a new deal.

Presumably that's in addition to (at least) Main. No great surprises there other than Campbell being offered a new deal. I'm 1,000,000% on board with it but given he's still got 2 years on his current one it's good news he's being "rewarded" (should he choose to sign).

I had actually meant to say after listening to the Mo Ross interview, one of the consistent highlights recently has been hearing the coaching staff lose their shit about how great Campbell is.

Edited by capt_oats

Disappointed to see Aldred go but not surprised in the slightest. Same goes fo McHugh - I thought we would maybe have looked to try and keep him but possibly as a centre half. I've always thought he was better in that position as he's far too slow on the ball to play in midfield.

Will be interesting to see where Gorrin ends up. It's been said by others previously but fair fucks to him / his agent if he manages to get someone in the English Championship off the back of 6 good months with us.

With McHugh, I'm fairly sure we'd have liked to have kept him but it's difficult to see how it'd really be a satisfactory outcome from his POV. He's signed an extension previously and given us 100+ games (and 4 concussions). I'd imagine everyone feels he's done his bit.

Ally Gorrin has proven to be a better option anchoring the midfield 3 and McHugh would have been unlikely to have been a first pick at centre half as Dunne (for all his mistakes) has shown the benefit of pace in that area of the park and it's a quality McHugh has never really had.

McHugh's 26 now so if he can get a better paying gig elsewhere then fair fucks to him. I like McHugh and some of the stick he's had is absolutely miles oot but at the same time it's difficult to argue against the fact that we've clearly been a better team with Gorrin in the midfield 3. 

It's going to be unlikely McHugh would sign an extension on the wages we'll be offering when he knows he's likely to be more of a 'squad option'. If we're sticking with 433 then Gorrin's the benchmark of the level we need to replace.

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tbh I'm gutted about Ali G leaving. Mainly because I loved us having a Spanish midfielder running about kicking folk while a few wee guys from Wishaw played sexy football. 

I liked how our ball playing Spaniard in midfield was also a hammer throwing savage. The ideal mix.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

There's yer Scott Mullen tweeting. "Understood" Aldred, McHugh and Gorrin all away. Wee Al has been offered a new deal.

Presumably that's in addition to (at least) Main. No great surprises there other than Campbell being offered a new deal. I'm 1,000,000% on board with it but given he's still got 2 years on his current one it's good news he's being "rewarded" (should he choose to sign).

I had actually meant to say after listening to the Mo Ross interview, one of the consistent highlights recently has been hearing the coaching staff lose their shit about how great Campbell is.

Not a great surprise at those leaving and no doubt a good few more to follow them as well.   Declan Gallagher coming you could say is probably a replacement for Aldred.

4 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

Not a great surprise at those leaving and no doubt a good few more to follow them as well.   Declan Gallagher coming you could say is probably a replacement for Aldred.

As soon as the signing was rumoured that was my thinking. Seems a fairly like-for-like replacement. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

All the news coming out of FP today...

Big Trevor Carson's in the squad for tomorrow.

Is he usually bang on?