Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Big Mitchell there...

That goal was the VCR equivalent of Marvin's goal against Rangers - it was rewound so often that it became unwatchable...

That was the one time I was on the pitch at FP at full time - I think it started the whole end of season "tradition" that's now stopped by some b&q chicken wire....

1 minute ago, Swello said:

That goal was the VCR equivalent of Marvin's goal against Rangers - it was rewound so often that it became unwatchable...

That was the one time I was on the pitch at FP at full time - I think it started the whole end of season "tradition" that's now stopped by some b&q chicken wire....

I noticed the wee bit of Twitter #content yesterday about the (now) Cooper stand opening 24 years ago this week. Aside from the fact that it made be feel quite old I'm very on board with the club expanding the scope of the eras it punts on the socials. More of it I say.

51 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think it started the whole end of season "tradition" 

I'm sure it was the first time it happened, I certainly don't remember it happening before. I think it was largely borne out of sheer relief more than anything else that day, as it looked for all the world we were doomed to the playoffs when 1-2 down and everything before that goal was going against us and it looked like it just wasn't our day. Memory may be hazy here in my old age but I'm pretty sure we had one cleared off the line just before they went up the park to score their second goal. It was just a ridiculously good strike from Van Der Gaag, he really couldn't have hit that any better if he'd tried and you knew it was in from the second it left his boot.

You want to build something and build something, that is never going to be the case here.

We can’t keep players. Once they play at the level they play at then they have interest in them. We are prepared for every eventuality.

It is a short, short career, they could be finished with one kick, one incident.

Our players seem to attract a lot of attention. I take it as credit that we are doing something very right.

More than a hint of frustration from Robbo here. It must be extremely challenging having to rebuild constantly. Maybe tomorrow's game and the extra 60 grand with finishing seventh is more significant than we think?

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Just watched the BBC World Services programme on Motherwell, very powerful, now making the wife watch it so that she understands 

Yep - brilliant stuff and genuinely makes you proud to be part of the whole thing....

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Also, while I'm here: Happy Based Craig Reid Day erryone...

Something that I feel goes unnoticed is that Keith Lasley was apparently capable of hitting 60 yard free kicks into the opposition goal mouth and we decided to utilise it exactly once in his career.

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Something that I feel goes unnoticed is that Keith Lasley was apparently capable of hitting 60 yard free kicks into the opposition goal mouth and we decided to utilise it exactly once in his career.

On the SPFL video about it, McCall describes it as 'the biggest kick he's ever taken', seems about right.

1 minute ago, DylanMFC said:

Overheard someone talking about Gillespie being away in the summer, Anyone seen anything?

Surely you can't keep two first team keepers in Carson and Gillespie?

Carson I'd imagine is still the club's number one so Gillespie will be off?

28 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Surely you can't keep two first team keepers in Carson and Gillespie?

Carson I'd imagine is still the club's number one so Gillespie will be off?

It's a bit of a weird situation. Gillespie was brought in because we thought there was a chance Carson was off last summer (given the offer from Celtic we kb'd which ended up with Bain moving there and IIRC Cardiff were rumoured to be interested). However nothing materialised and we've seen the season out with both on the books (along with Rohan Ferguson). If we managed it this season there's no reason we couldn't budget-wise next season.

In honesty this season has shown why we really should have 3 keepers available. Last season we had to draft in the bold Gennadios Xenodochof short term because Carson picked up an injury and we didn't have a 'keeper available for the bench. This coincided with our December Slump as we had Russell Griffiths and his lettuce wrists in goals and the drop-off between Carson and him was huge.

Basically we'd have been fairly fucked this season if Gillespie hadn't been our back-up option. Gillespie's got the gloves just now and I'd say he'd be considered our #1 however both their contracts are up at the end of next season. I'd say that Gillespie is almost certainly more of a sellable asset given he's younger than Carson and being really fucking cold about it the nature of Carson's injury would almost certainly put a question mark over him for potential buyers.

Gillespie's been really, really good and seeing as we famously couldn't seem to find a buyer for Randolph I'd expect we'd be listening if there was interest (that's a fairly 'duh!' statement I know).

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It's a bit of a weird situation. Gillespie was brought in because we thought there was a chance Carson was off last summer (given the offer from Celtic we kb'd which ended up with Bain moving there and IIRC Cardiff were rumoured to be interested). However nothing materialised and we've seen the season out with both on the books (along with Rohan Ferguson). If we managed it this season there's no reason we couldn't budget-wise next season.

In honesty this season has shown why we really should have 3 keepers available. Last season we had to draft in the bold Gennadios Xenodochof short term because Carson picked up an injury and we didn't have a 'keeper available for the bench. This coincided with our December Slump as we had Russell Griffiths and his lettuce wrists in goals and the drop-off between Carson and him was huge.

Basically we'd have been fairly fucked this season if Gillespie hadn't been our back-up option. Gillespie's got the gloves just now and I'd say he'd be considered our #1 however both their contracts are up at the end of next season. I'd say that Gillespie is almost certainly more of a sellable asset given he's younger than Carson and being really fucking cold about it the nature of Carson's injury would almost certainly put a question mark over him for potential buyers.

Gillespie's been really, really good and seeing as we famously couldn't seem to find a buyer for Randolph I'd expect we'd be listening if there was interest (that's a fairly 'duh!' statement I know).

Some good keepers released in England just now in lower leagues a 6.4 foot guy that just got on the Chilie squad in 2018 was at Swindon 

And a guy from Crewe that was in England youth level teams

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297
Clarity