Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I think it was also the game where Robinson thought "Cadden = Wing Back" as a result of Ferguson getting hooked...

In fairness to him, he said pre-season that he saw Cadden as an option in there but acknowledged that he'd been played out of position and was better further forward.

Edit: listening to the rest of that presser - hearing Jacob Blyth mentioned is a LOL.

Edited by capt_oats

I've just logged on and haven't fully read the last page. So are we seriously linked with re-signing Lionel Ainsworth? Is this fucking serious? I thought we'd got away from the days of re-signing popular ex players who are well into their 30s. 

When are we signing Faddy for the 20th time then?

I've just logged on and haven't fully read the last page. So are we seriously linked with re-signing Lionel Ainsworth? Is this fucking serious? I thought we'd got away from the days of re-signing popular ex players who are well into their 30s. 

GET OUT.

29 minutes ago, Al B said:

Well, sorry to break it to you boys but I asked the question "Can we re-sign Lionel please?"

Answer - "Absolutely not".

MJC must have got to him first.

In other former players news Beneghan (and Nathan Thomas) transfer-listed by Sheffield United.

Not to take the thread in a SO style 'former players' direction but the reason I mention Heneghan is we presumably have a sell-on there. Newly promoted to the Premier League? They couldn't flip him for profit could they? 

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, MJC said:

MODS

In other former players news Beneghan (and Nathan Thomas) transfer-listed by Sheffield United.
Not to take the thread in a SO style 'former players' direction but the reason I mention Heneghan is we presumably have a sell-on there. Newly promoted to the Premier League? They couldn't flip him for profit could they? 

He won Blackpool’s player of the year and players player of the year so possibly.

Seemingly he has been outstanding for them since going on loan so wouldn’t be surprised to see someone take a punt.

13 hours ago, MJC said:

Might be the least popular Motherwell opinion since McGhee hung Lionel out to dry. 

#TeamLionel

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Might be the least popular Motherwell opinion since McGhee hung Lionel out to dry. 

#TeamLionel

He is 32 this year and rarely started under Robinson when he was still here two years ago. He was capable of pulling something special out of the hat but was woefully inconsistent and prone to hiding in games. So why should we be re-signing him now, when he's two years older and winding down?!? One of the things I praised Robinson for when he got his first transfer window under his belt was that he moved us away from the jobs for the old boys policy we had operated for years beforehand. If we sign Lionel Ainsworth this summer then we'll be taking backward steps and it will show that the club aren't looking to the future.

We are not a retirement home for 30 something veterans looking for one last pay day.

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

He is 32 this year and rarely started under Robinson when he was still here two years ago. He was capable of pulling something special out of the hat but was woefully inconsistent and prone to hiding in games. So why should we be re-signing him now, when he's two years older and winding down?!? One of the things I praised Robinson for when he got his first transfer window under his belt was that he moved us away from the jobs for the old boys policy we had operated for years beforehand. If we sign Lionel Ainsworth this summer then we'll be taking backward steps and it will show that the club aren't looking to the future.

We are not a retirement home for 30 something veterans looking for one last pay day.

Try and get Glenn Middleton on loan he might be avalible or even Mikey Johnston at Celtic

Both would smash it and need first team football 

1 minute ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Try and get Glenn Middleton on loan he might be avalible or even Mikey Johnston at Celtic

Both would smash it and need first team football 

Not really interested in us developing players for the Old Firm, thanks.

9 minutes ago, MJC said:

MJC, I disagree on every single point here.  God bless.

#TeamLionel

(Apart from not signing old players back a million times, just Lionel...Or Marvin tbh)

Edited by thisGRAEME

Am I right in saying Ben Heneghan played once (an FA Cup game) for Sheffield Utd? 

£400k for him was an outstanding piece of business.  Generally, the sell-on clause is on the profit the buying club (in this case, Sheff Utd) makes, so I can't see anyone shelling out half a million plus for Heneghan, even in the bat-shit world of the EFL, to make it worthwhile for us.  For all you have clubs like Derby spunking £8m (EIGHT MILLION POUNDS, lads) on Martyn Waghorn, you've got Bolton going to the wall.