Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Anyway, enough about Hastie. 

My Link

Good news, seems like Trevor is on the mend and might even be back before the seasons out.

Also;

Surely must be either Frear or McHugh that’s been offered a reduced deal?

Smashing news about Carson.

I take it Hastie is included in those 6 contracts offered. So there would only be 5 left from a total of 9 out of contract now.

I've lifted this from Wiki here's who's out of contract from the first team squad and their league appearances:

Mbulu - 4 starts + 2 subs
McHugh - 18 starts + 6 subs
Cadden - 11 starts + 5 subs
Frear - 4 starts + 17 subs
Gorrin - 15 starts + 4 subs
Main - 27 starts + 3 subs
Tanner - 0 starts + 0 subs
Newell - 0 starts + 0 subs
Hastie - 12 starts + 1 subs

Frear immediately stands out on the appearances front.

Edit: Robinson had also mentioned the possibility of us announcing that signing this week (assuming it's the same player).

“We have managed to get two done and we have another one we will perhaps announce next week that we have nearly got done. So we are well on the way to building.”

Link

Edit: Robbo breaking it down. You can kind of guess who's been offered what...

1 x reduced based on appearances
2 x exactly the same
3 x "very much improved contracts"

Also, if anyone wants Div Turnbull then they'll have to pay a lot of money. He mentions John McGinn, which was something like £3m IIRC so it would seem that's our bracket for him.

Edited by capt_oats

I fully expect Celtic to come along with their usual offer of £129,231 

Q their fans mock outrage when we suggest we are looking for more. 

All the while expecting offers of £21m for Hayes 

I desperately hope we hold on to him for next season. Would be gutted if he left before then. 

He is still learning and developing, but even if he is able to raise his game another 20%......

If he went in the summer it would be for circa £1m +. If we can get him to keep his forward momentum into next season then I would expect him to eventually break our transfer record. 

He’s now the 4th top scorer in the league despite- only being 19, a midfielder and not having stated a game until the 20th of October. 

:lol:

Boy’s absolutely outrageous, the technique for the winner was sublime.

Probably been lost in amongst all the the fully merited Turnbull hype that Scott(18) scored his first senior goal today and that Semple(17) came off the bench for his debut to set up the winner. With the older heads of Cadden(22) and Campbell(20) also playing the full 90.

Just maybe, there’s a reason why the club were fairly happy to cash in on Hastie. Despite the media spin that we’ve seemingly lost our ‘top talent’, there seems to be a real genuine crop of good quality youngsters coming through at the minute and a clear plan/pathway for them to the first team.

Long may it continue.

Genuine question, should Motherell give David Turnbull the no.10 shirt next season? 

I know we've unofficially retired it, but that's not something I agree with.  Fair enough for us not to use it every season, but for me it should be awarded to a young player who comes through the ranks and earns it.  Just like Phil O'Donnell did. 

The last three players to wear it were McFadden, O'Donnell and Clarkson.  There's not been a player who has merited the jersey since.  Until now.  Turnbull deserves it. He sums up everything we as a club as striving for these days.  It's the least we can do until the day comes when he inevitably moves on to bigger and better things. 

Davie Turnbull, Motherwell's No.10. 

27 minutes ago, Desp said:

Genuine question, should Motherell give David Turnbull the no.10 shirt next season? 

I know we've unofficially retired it, but that's not something I agree with.  Fair enough for us not to use it every season, but for me it should be awarded to a young player who comes through the ranks and earns it.  Just like Phil O'Donnell did. 

The last three players to wear it were McFadden, O'Donnell and Clarkson.  There's not been a player who has merited the jersey since.  Until now.  Turnbull deserves it. He sums up everything we as a club as striving for these days.  It's the least we can do until the day comes when he inevitably moves on to bigger and better things. 

pleeeaaaase post this on Well Fans II

All this talk of long contracts for youth players is bollocks. If a player's contract runs out after  a certain  birthday then he becomes a free agent  and can leave  for nothing. If the contract  expires before that  birthday  we are due development  compensation. Hutchesons contract  ran out  after  that  birthday  and he left for nothing.  Murphy and Reynolds were all older when they  left and we got washers  for them.  Short term contracts to a youth team players 21or22  birthday will be the norm to protect  our investment. 

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Not unless he asks for it.

Other than that as @thisGRAEME says give him a daft number. 3,4,5.

If Cadden goes. Give him 7

37 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Not unless he asks for it.

Other than that as @thisGRAEME says give him a daft number. 3,4,5.

If Cadden goes. Give him 7

Agree, it depends on whether he wants it or not. I think it's a fair question @Desp is asking though.

IMO, he's an 8. Give him that and Campbell 6 or 4.

Edit: Obviously I knew his Twitter handle was 10DavidTurnbull but this chat has honestly just made me look at his squad number. 28. See if he's gone full Zamorano with that...I really hope he has.

Edited by capt_oats

Squad numbers have a specific role.

6 - Deeper midfielder/usually deep playmaker

8 - Box to box midfielder/battler

10 - Attacking midfielder/fulcrum of entire team

Any deviation should be frowned upon.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Please take your da patter somewhere else, this is a Davie Turnbull thread.

Thank you.

30 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Please take your da patter somewhere else, this is a Davie Turnbull thread.

Thank you.

It's no "da patter", its severe OCD bred from watching lower league football when there weren't squad numbers.

4 and 6 can be transferable 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gorrin, Campbell, Turnbull - next season Semple6 will have to play deep.