Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm one of those that switched off on the Hastie thing a while back - when the speculation stopped being about if he'd sign for us and moved on simply to where he was going, that was it for me - fucks stopped being given.

The fee we will get for him is important though as the money coming from home grown players has handily stepped into the breach  left by the lack of an obvious sellable asset from our senior players - there is no Kipre or Moult hanging about..

Also, great to see the word "ennui" used by @thisGRAEME - outstanding work although I feel strangely down about the fact I didn't use it first...

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Also, great to see the word "ennui" used by @thisGRAEME - outstanding work although I feel strangely down about the fact I didn't use it first...

It's the BBC training, they upload fancy words into your brain before they let you loose in the kitchen.

Seen that.

Looked well worth a punt on paper and I was fully on board with the signing at the time. However I was genuinely shocked to see the state of him in that Ross County game. Looked like an ex pro in his 40’s turning out at a testimonial.

Can only assume he didn’t make much of an effort to get himself fit, so the mystery calf injury was invented to save face as we sent him packing about a month after he arrived.

Along with the McCormack thing that's the BBC reporting on the Out Of Contract players. Presumably from Robinson's presser today:

Deals have been offered to Alex Gorrin, Chris Cadden, Elliott Frear and Jake Hastie to extend their stay at Fir Park beyond the summer.

Well boss Robinson has already signed Livingston's Declan Gallagher and Inverness midfielder Liam Polworth on pre-contracts.

"We won't wait around," he said.

"If anyone else appears that we think can do the job we will sign them. My job is to build Motherwell Football Club for next season and in the coming years. Players' job is to get the best deal they possibly can.

"We have offered contracts to six people verbally and written but those contracts will only stay on the table for so long."

Not including loans (ie: Aldred, Ariyibi, McCormack & Sammon) we've 9 first team players out of contract (Mbulu, McHugh, Cadden, Frear, Gorrin, Main, Newell, Tanner and Hastie).

If we've only made 6 offers then there are clearly players we've completely ruled out or they've said they're definitely away.

Edited by capt_oats

To the surprise of no one that's Robinson confirming McCormack won't be back and that he won't be a summer target.

Well, that's right up there with Brian McLair for disappointing comebacks.

I had thought there was a chance he could come back on loan next season if he sorted out his injury but obviously not.

Just now, Archie McSquackle said:

Well, that's right up there with Brian McLair for disappointing comebacks.

I had thought there was a chance he could come back on loan next season if he sorted out his injury but obviously not.

Tbh, per @Casagolda I think the injury is very much an "injury".

58 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Along with the McCormack thing that's the BBC reporting on the Out Of Contract players. Presumably from Robinson's presser today:

Not including loans (ie: Aldred, Ariyibi, McCormack & Sammon) we've 9 first team players out of contract (Mbulu, McHugh, Cadden, Frear, Gorrin, Main, Newell, Tanner and Hastie).

If we've only made 6 offers then there are clearly players we've completely ruled out or they've said they're definitely away.

Based on the chat we've heard already, we can say with good authority that McHugh & Main are 100% offski.

I think it's also a fair assumption that from the ones we've offered contracts to, you'd only really be confident of Frear and, perhaps, Mbulu signing on again.  Cadden, Hastie & Gorrin will have better offers elsewhere.

Surely (fucking SURELY!!) Newell isn't going to end up with another contract, is he?

On 14/04/2019 at 10:56, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

We had George Newell from Motherwell but he hasn't been seen in weeks, and was the most awkward, ineffective striker I've seen in a Rovers jersey for some time. His old man (Mike Newell) is apparently 54 now but I'd still have him over his boy.

He seems to be getting some rave reviews from his time at Cliftonhill.

1 minute ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Apparently, he was training with us again during the week. I thought (hoped) he'd gone but it must have been injury that caused his short-term disappearance.

I, for one, am stunned he was out injured after playing a few games.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Based on the chat we've heard already, we can say with good authority that McHugh & Main are 100% offski.

I think it's also a fair assumption that from the ones we've offered contracts to, you'd only really be confident of Frear and, perhaps, Mbulu signing on again.  Cadden, Hastie & Gorrin will have better offers elsewhere.

Surely (fucking SURELY!!) Newell isn't going to end up with another contract, is he?

Going by the BBC article Gorrin, Cadden, Frear and Hastie are 4 of the 6.

At a guess the 6 offers we'll have made will be to the ones getting regular first team minutes (and likely to have other options), so those 4 plus Main and McHugh.

We can pretty much guarantee that McHugh and Main are away from what we've heard. 

Frear strikes me as a similar situation to we had with Ainsworth in that we like him and he offers something but our offer will probably be more based on a squad role on reduced terms than the sort of deal he got when he signed originally.

The fact he's been a back-up to both Ariyibi and Hastie kind of reinforces that. His time at FP hasn't really worked out as it'd have been sold to him.

On the flip of that if Bristol City really are interested in Ally Gorrin then that's exactly what would have been sold to him. So I'd imagine he's packing his bags and counting his cash.

Bearing in mind Robinson was talking after the Accies game about not being able to carry players then I'd say Tanner, Mbulu and especially Newell are varying degrees of unlikely.

I'll not lie, though it's clearly fronting I'm very much on board with this approach of just cracking on rather than sitting about waiting by the phone.

Edited by capt_oats

It's funny that Ross McCormack seemed to be the only thing that could brighten up our really glum Winter period and yet he was nothing but detrimental when he was on the park.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I'll not lie, though it's clearly fronting I'm very much on board with this approach of just cracking on rather than sitting about waiting by the phone.

Link

Certainly doesn’t look like he’s hanging about.

“Whatever way you dress it up, they have a short career and you can’t blame them, and we can’t compete with people. So we do our business early and that’s the reason we do it early“.

“We leave one or two slots, we might get someone who comes up from the Premier League from England quite late on and we leave a bit of money back for that, and that’s usually the top end of the pitch.

“We have managed to get two done and we have another one we will perhaps announce next week that we have nearly got done. So we are well on the way to building.”

17 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Link

Certainly doesn’t look like he’s hanging about.

Also this...

Ahead of Saturday’s trip to Hamilton, he said: “I think we will have eight academy boys involved in the 18.

“We have to have a fine line between blooding young boys and finishing as high as we can.

“I have to see whether some of the young boys can come in and be first-team players or do I need to send them back out on loan again.”

So....Campbell, Cadden, Turnbull, Hastie, Scott, Livingstone, Semple and maybe McKinstry or McAlear?

Fully on board with it like, this is what we've been saying we should be doing with these post split games. Again, it'll be interesting to see who's not in the 18.

Edited by capt_oats

Any idea who the anticipated signing next week is? A centre forward would be nice. 

My guess would be that it’s Ousmane Fanè, who seems to have been hanging around and training with us for a number of weeks now.