Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

On the topic of discussing players from other Scottish teams, I'm sorry @capt_oats but I'm going to step on your toes for one post only...

Recent signings from Scottish sides

Conor Sammon (18-19) - Posed for a funny picture, not very good at fitba.  

Alex Fisher (17-18) - Keen eye for goal.

Nadir Ciftci (17-18) - Bundles of potential, we only saw glimpses of that.

Dean Brill (16-17) - Sure he was a good lad, no idea how he was as a keeper.

Joe Chalmers (15-16) - Badly exposed on occasions, seems to have flourished at Inverness which is a surprise.

Morgaro Gomis (15-16) - Brutal

David Clarkson (15-16) - Wasn't a glorious return.

Dan Twardzik (14-15) - I thought he did ok at times, but it's not ideal having a goalkeeper who seems to be scraping five foot tall. 

I think that list just tells us that if you're going to sign guys already playing in Scotland, sign actual good ones. I thought the signings of Ciftci, Fisher, Vigurs and Lawson all made a lot of sense at the time, although none of them was wholly successful. The less said about the rest, the better.

I think there are good players in Scotland that are within our reach and I'm quite happy that we try to take a bit of risk out of rebuilds by mixing known quantities with some of our usual bargain basement specials from the nether regions of English football..

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I think that list just tells us that if you're going to sign guys already playing in Scotland, sign actual good ones. I thought the signings of Ciftci, Fisher, Vigurs and Lawson all made a lot of sense at the time, although none of them was wholly successful. The less said about the rest, the better.

I think there are good players in Scotland that are within our reach and I'm quite happy that we try to take a bit of risk out of rebuilds by mixing known quantities with some of our usual bargain basement specials from the nether regions of English football.

Robinson was saying to the press the other week that they've been down scouting the English lower leagues in their midweek fixtures so I'd imagine the out of contract and fringe guys in League 1 & 2 will be getting the once over.

What I do wonder is whether or not we're at a point where there's less value in the English lower leagues now. I've no idea what sort of money someone like Polworth will be on at ICT or Gallagher at Livi but I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to guess that it'd be less than we're currently paying say, Frear or Tanner in the case of Polworth and less than we're chipping in for Aldred in the case of Gallagher.

In that respect getting someone in who's a bit more of a known quantity mitigates the risk.

Similarly there's every chance someone like Fané (if he signs) would be offered less than we're paying McHugh (given he'd been made captain when he signed his extension) and more on a level of what we're offering Ally Gorrin (who would be mental to kb a top 6 Championship side if they're genuinely interested).

On paper we're getting guys in whose numbers look good for (potentially) less than we're currently paying. Incidentally I was having a look at Fané's link in bio video on his IG and he's an absolute riot of arms and legs. A full highlight reel of tackles and blocks.

Either way, going out and signing players who are actually good and more importantly fit in with what we're trying to do is an approach that I'm fully on board with.

Edited by capt_oats

18 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

There's been a few creeping suggestions over the last few pages that Nadir Ciftci was anything other than an absolute baller and I suggest everyone puts a stop to that patter immediately.

Miss him so much...

nintchdbpict000379489251.jpg?strip=all%2

Gutted he's gone but he's too good for us in the Championship. I hope he does well. I'll be interested to see how he gets on.

Motherwell can be my second Scottish team. f**k the Accies.

Motherwell fans talking about transfer strategy and the transfer plan, when in reality all they do is hire someone to follow our scouts about.

FWIW this smells a bit like the Alston transfer. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Good to see us getting business done quickly. We've got a big, big summer ahead and it's important that we make the right signings and from what I've seen of both Gallagher and Polworth, they could both potentially be good acquisitions so long as they are used correctly.

Welcome to Fir Park to Liam Polworth.

Just now, tree house tam said:

You seriously disappointed about this? The boys a haddie,  we've enough of them atm.

I think it's two decent signings. I won't hijack their thread saying too much more than that but I am disappointed, yeah.