Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, Mr. Brightside said:

Is there no chance we could get Aldred back? I love that man.

There's probably a chance we could keep him, it just seems Gallagher is a like-for-like replacement for him.

Although if we kept Aldred & Dunne, added Gallagher then...

BACK THREES BACK, ALRIGHT.

Yes, this is a Backstreet Boys reference.

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

There's probably a chance we could keep him, it just seems Gallagher is a like-for-like replacement for him.

Although if we kept Aldred & Dunne, added Gallagher then...

BACK THREES BACK, ALRIGHT.

Yes, this is a Backstreet Boys reference.

I'm sure EVERYBODY would get behind that move 

Scott Burns in the express has us after Liam Polworth under freedom of contract from Inverness, with St. Johnstone and Accies apparently also interested.

A quick glance at his transfermarkt page shows he has 3 goals and 19 assists this season, particularly good on the assist front. I had him in my head as a winger, but his main position is listed as a central midfielder.

11 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

Scott Burns in the express has us after Liam Polworth under freedom of contract from Inverness, with St. Johnstone and Accies apparently also interested.

A quick glance at his transfermarkt page shows he has 3 goals and 19 assists this season, particularly good on the assist front. I had him in my head as a winger, but his main position is listed as a central midfielder.

St Johnstone were linked with him earlier in the season on a pre-contract but with Kennedy, O'Halloran, Swanson and Wright all on their books you'd think they're pretty stacked in that area of the park. We're a bit more of a clean slate at the moment.

I see from his Transfermarkt he's a World In Motion client, we seem to have a pretty good relationship with them. I'm sure Moult took them on as reps while he was at FP.

Interesting if that's another first team player from a Scottish club we're looking at though.

Anyway, here's Polworth pinging one past Craig Samson...

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

St Johnstone were linked with him earlier in the season on a pre-contract but with Kennedy, O'Halloran, Swanson and Wright all on their books you'd think they're pretty stacked in that area of the park. We're a bit more of a clean slate at the moment.

Hes a CM, tbf. Hes mostly a "10" but I've seen him a few times play a deeper central role on BBC games.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes a CM, tbf. Hes mostly a "10" but I've seen him a few times play a deeper central role on BBC games.

Quite. I've just read the posts from January on the ICT thread.

Looking at the squad the assumption is that we're crying out for wide players (which we absolutely are) but equally, we don't really have an alternative option to Turnbull as an '8' or '10'.

Edit: Actually, if Tanner to Exeter is indeed a done deal then that would probably be like for like-ish.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I see from his Transfermarkt he's a World In Motion client, we seem to have a pretty good relationship with them. I'm sure Moult took them on as reps while he was at FP.

Interesting if that's another first team player from a Scottish club we're looking at though.

Anyway, here's Polworth pinging one past Craig Samson...

giphy.gif

I see highlights of Craig Samson and genuinely wonder if he actually had hands in those gloves.

51 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Quite. I've just read the posts from January on the ICT thread.

Looking at the squad the assumption is that we're crying out for wide players (which we absolutely are) but equally, we don't really have an alternative option to Turnbull as an '8' or '10'.

Edit: Actually, if Tanner to Exeter is indeed a done deal then that would probably be like for like-ish.

Missed this, where’s the story?

16 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Missed this, where’s the story?

No official story. I was browsing Exeter's forum the other day after Bowman got his first couple of goals and noticed some boy there had popped up with the claim that Tanner to them was a "done deal". It's pretty spurious I grant you but equally he's out of contract and I can't imagine any deal we're offering is going to be difficult to better after the length of time he's been out.

Given he spent a few seasons in that neck of the woods with Plymouth it's actually pretty easy to square the circle. Especially with Bowman having moved down there in January and the Reading connection with Jake Taylor.

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

No official story. I was browsing Exeter's forum the other day after Bowman got his first couple of goals and noticed some boy there had popped up with the claim that Tanner to them was a "done deal". It's pretty spurious I grant you but equally he's out of contract and I can't imagine any deal we're offering is going to be difficult to better after the length of time he's been out.

Given he spent a few seasons in that neck of the woods with Plymouth it's actually pretty easy to square the circle. Especially with Bowman having moved down there in January and the Reading connection with Jake Taylor.

It would be a big risk for Exeter offering him decent terms, so fair play to the lad if he’s managed to get that.

Was someone not on here a while back saying he extended on the dl at the start of the year? Guessing that was shite then.

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

It would be a big risk for Exeter offering him decent terms, so fair play to the lad if he’s managed to get that.

Was someone not on here a while back saying he extended on the dl at the start of the year? Guessing that was shite then.

Possibly/probably me. It was mentioned on SO that his contract expiry date had changed on the official site to 2020 (and it definitely had) but that's since reverted back.

Robinson/Burrows were asked specifically about Tanner at the AGM and the response they gave was that they'd do the right thing by him. Basically if he couldn't pass a medical then they wouldn't just cut him loose but the gist was it'd be significantly reduced terms that reflected his situation.

From the looks of things he's been putting in extra hours in the gym so I'm guessing he's in a position now where he'd be able to pass a medical.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Possibly/probably me. It was mentioned on SO that his contract expiry date had changed on the official site to 2020 (and it definitely had) but that's since reverted back.

Robinson/Burrows were asked specifically about Tanner at the AGM and the response they gave was that they'd do the right thing by him. Basically if he couldn't pass a medical then they wouldn't just cut him loose but the gist was it'd be significantly reduced terms that reflected his situation.

From the looks of things he's been putting in extra hours in the gym so I'm guessing he's in a position now where he'd be able to pass a medical.

You would think that considering his career, long or even short term could be in doubt, he would look to maximise his earning potential if he possibly could. So if he’s been offered more money elsewhere I wouldn’t begrudge him that at all. A real shame how it’s worked out for him.

What is it that actually happened to Tanner? He seemed to go from being our most creative player to completely disappearing.

Obviously he sustained a bad injury but I only ever heard of it being described as a training ground injury. Don't suppose anyone knows if it was just one of those freak injuries or was it a result of our thunder dome training sessions and someone has snapped him?

9 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

What is it that actually happened to Tanner? He seemed to go from being our most creative player to completely disappearing.

Obviously he sustained a bad injury but I only ever heard of it being described as a training ground injury. Don't suppose anyone knows if it was just one of those freak injuries or was it a result of our thunder dome training sessions and someone has snapped him?

He ruptured his patellar tendon. The gist seems to be he sustained it simply kicking the ball rather than it being a Thunderdome incident.

If you really want to know then there's a video of his actual operation in the spoiler. Warning graphic content (like...honestly) etc.

Spoiler

That's Tam Aldred being linked with a move to India in The Sun. Fair fucks with that one, if the money on offer is anything like Pearson was reported to be getting then it's a no brainer. It's a short season so he should be able to cash in then come back in January and pick up another decent paid gig. One of the teams reported to be interested is Kerala Blasters who Pearson was with and currently have Dheeraj on their books.

On Polworth, aside from the fact our recruitment from ICT in the past isn't exactly stellar with Fisher and erm...Dean Brill, looking through his goals and assists he definitely more attacking midfielder than 'forward' though interestingly (caveat: according to Transfermarkt) his most prolific season (6 goals) was 15/16 where he was apparently playing right midfield. 

Again, Transfermarkt play fast and loose with their stats for 'assists' but 19 this season and *cough* 25 (TWENTY FIVE) last season playing as an central/attacking mid is something we don't actually have. Using their metric Hastie has 1 assist for the season, Ariyibi has 2, Frear has 6, Cadden has 5 and Turnbull has 8. 

On the face of it he's probably more versatile than someone like Frear. Given we don't actually play with a '10' but tend to be using inside forwards and inverted wingers cutting in rather than wingers who will hit the bye-line it'd be interesting to see where we'd play him if we're interested as our midfield 3 has a good balance but as has often been said we've lacked creativity in the final third.

He can ping a ball from distance as well tbf (a selection of his goals in the spoiler).

Spoiler

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's Tam Aldred being linked with a move to India in The Sun. Fair fucks with that one, if the money on offer is anything like Pearson was reported to be getting then it's a no brainer. It's a short season so he should be able to cash in then come back in January and pick up another decent paid gig. One of the teams reported to be interested is Kerala Blasters who Pearson was with and currently have Dheeraj on their books.

On Polworth, aside from the fact our recruitment from ICT in the past isn't exactly stellar with Fisher and erm...Dean Brill, looking through his goals and assists he definitely more attacking midfielder than 'forward' though interestingly (caveat: according to Transfermarkt) his most prolific season (6 goals) was 15/16 where he was apparently playing right midfield. 

Again, Transfermarkt play fast and loose with their stats for 'assists' but 19 this season and *cough* 25 (TWENTY FIVE) last season playing as an central/attacking mid is something we don't actually have. Using their metric Hastie has 1 assist for the season, Ariyibi has 2, Frear has 6, Cadden has 5 and Turnbull has 8. 

On the face of it he's probably more versatile than someone like Frear. Given we don't actually play with a '10' but tend to be using inside forwards and inverted wingers cutting in rather than wingers who will hit the bye-line it'd be interesting to see where we'd play him if we're interested as our midfield 3 has a good balance but as has often been said we've lacked creativity in the final third.

He can ping a ball from distance as well tbf (a selection of his goals in the spoiler).

Hide contents

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif