Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

57 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Agreed.

Aldred’s been immense for us and will be hard to replace but Gallagher looks as good as a replacement on paper as we could have made. Been excellent defensively for Livingston this season, looks comfortable on the ball and is just about coming into his prime.

Back to middle we actually look in alright shape going into next season. You’d think Gallagher, Dunne and Tait will make up 3 of our back 4, with the only question being whether Robinson takes another stab at signing a left back or just sticks with Tait there. At 21 and still having never started a senior game for us, it’s surely a now or never season for Livingston though.

We’ve got 2 excellent goalkeepers to choose from as well, however I’d imagine Robinson will have a tough decision to make cause I can’t see either being happy with being made 2nd choice. Replacing Gorrin in front of them will be difficult but easier you feel to find a partner for Campbell and Turnbull though, than having to replace either of them themselves.

The forward area though is mental- in terms of wingers/strikers we literally only have James Scott and Danny Johnson under contract for next season. We have to be looking at somewhere between 4 or 5 ‘forwards’ minimum, including a target man and at least a couple of boys with some pace. On our budget, that’s going to be extremely difficult to do in a single window.

100%.

I think the GK situation becomes a bit less contentious given Carson's injury, Gillespie's clear #1 but a gradual re-introduction to competitive football could work for Carson but if he hits the summer and is fully clear to play then you can imagine he'd be keen to make up for lost time.

The forward area becomes a bit more complicated as the writing looks like it's on the wall for Johnson and a lot will depend on what our plans are for Scott. You could absolutely argue he'd benefit from 6 months or a season out on loan with someone like Goodwin at Alloa. 

If we do loan Scott out then it leaves us in the position of needing to bring someone who'd offer us a short term option but wouldn't mind being the 2nd forward on the bench. If we're sticking with the shape we have then you're looking at a guaranteed starting #9, a back-up who's relatively close in level to rotate plus an additional cover. It's a pretty hard sell to get players to come to Motherwell in the first place let alone trying to pitch coming to Motherwell to sit on the bench as 3rd choice.

Looking around the lower leagues in England there are plenty names that we've been linked with in the past and also it's interesting to note the number of clubs who seem to be hitting financial difficulties. For example, Notts County look like they're getting relegated to the Vanarama and they've been hit with a winding up order. Pretty sure Bury were in the High Court recently as well with HMRC issues too and Bolton's situation has been pretty public.

Our market is really players at teams who are either miles off their first team (Hartley, Aldred, Main, Ciftci, Sammon, Ariyibi, McCormack et al) or players who are getting relegated (Fisher, Carson etc).

The problem of course is that quality in the area we're looking to recruit is still going to be pricey. Pace and power in the forward areas come at a premium.

Edited by capt_oats

I really hope the next step in Robinson's tactical revolution is going baws out on the tiki-taka and playing a 4-6-0*

Turnbull at False 9 in the Fabregas role and I die happy.

*the Spain 2012 brand, not the Levein type

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

On 4/13/2019 at 11:11, Ron Aldo said:

Just had a look through Well Fans II re the signing of Gallagher.

There's been so many times when I've wanted to respond to posts on that page but I just can't seem to bring myself down to the level of thickness on there.

I have to say though, I'm devastated that we'll no longer be thought of as a "family club" on the back of this one signing.

I have a confession to make...much of the hand-wringing on Well Fans 11 has been my doing, I like noising some of the dafties up on there.

I honestly couldn't give a shite what Declan Gallagher got up to in a previous life, I just hope that he turns out to be a good player for us. 

I'll save creating a tl;dr post by not quoting folk but folk are on the money here. There's going to be a huge amount of dealing this summer.

As it stands the gloves are Gillespie's even if Carson gets back to fitness over the summer. Of course it may be that someone fancies taking a punt at Gillespie as he's been great for us.

It's definitely time for Livingstone to make serious inroads to the first team. Left back is wide open for him and I'd love it if he could get into the team. FWIW I think the zoomers screaming for him to start earlier this season are a mile out as he definitely was not ready for it. He should definitely get a chance over the next 5 games to have a bash at it. 

Scott is a stick on for going into the Championship for 6 months and I'm all for it. I reckon having a start in competitive football regularly will do him the world of good then we can see about him getting into the team after that. 

Also big Nadir's on Instagram so you better believe I'll be sliding into his DMs when I'm pished to tell him how much I miss him. 

12 hours ago, Casagolda said:

At 21 an still having never started a senior game for us, it’s surely a now or never season for Livingston though.

This is very true - the problem for us however is that if we go with him as our left back for next season and it doesn't work out, we're back to square one and still don't have a reliable left back on the books for yet another year. Earlier in the season, I was pretty annoyed about Tait being played out of position every week - but since things clicked in January and Grimshaw looked a good fit at RB, I'd not be against going into next season with the same defence except for the Gallagher/Aldred swap assuming we keep a similar shape.

On the subject of Aldred, for all that Gallagher looks to be an ideal swap, I'll be gutted when Aldred leaves. He's been a complete standout for us in his entire spell with the club - as solid a defender as we've had in *years* in fact - and he clearly falls into the mould of someone who gets the club and has enjoyed it. It's mental to think that he seemed to be actively hated by Bury supporters... 

Aldred will be a huge loss but everything i've seen, read, heard about Gallagher leaves me in no doubt he will be a very able replacement. We know he can cut in our league so its relatively risk free as well, so although Aldred will be a loss, we have sorted it out early, with our main target which is a positive.

4 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

I'd go as far to say that Tom Aldred could be our best loan signing in the last five years, probably since Lionel in 2013/14?

In terms of consistency and importance to the team there's not even a case against it.

In terms of #boxoffice entertainment, however... 

3 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

The human highlight reel was a joy in fairness. Except when it was cold at Dundee and he point blank refused to run about. 

On his day he was the best player in the league. Sadly that wasn't too often. 

I swear a strike force with him and big Nadir would have been pish for 9 weeks, then on the 10th would have skelped someone about 10-0

For all the hype and seven figure transfer fees surrounding Scott McKenna, I genuinely don't know if I'd be happy swapping him for Aldred. Baffling how he is thought of at Bury.

Ainsworth was a total enigma. Phenomenal on his day, but infuriating on others. Had he not done what he done at Ibrox that night, I would probably be 50/50 on how I remember him, but that just about nudges him into credit.

16 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

Speaking of the famous Well Fans II and also by Viva Motherwell on twitter, there's a rumour apparently floating about that Hearts are showing an interest in Curtis Main.

I suppose we're due to get them back after they dumped Sammon on us.

The Main to Hearts rumour (like the Aberdeen story through the week) sounds massively like his agent flying a kite.

I thought the line in the Record piece about the Aberdeen interest seemed pretty, pretty accurate:

Main has indicated he is looking for a new challenge and is on Derek McInnes’s radar as he looks to strengthen his Pittodrie frontline.

Aberdeen made moves to try to land the Well striker in January, along with Bradford City, but were told he wanted to keep his options open.

Main is keen to return south and League One leaders Luton Town have also had him watched closely, along with Aberdeen skipper Graeme Shinnie.

He is waiting to see what options he has in England before he decides on his next move.

I'd imagine if there's interest from some mid-table League 1 team (or even a newly promoted Championship side if he's really lucky) then that's where he'll end up.

Reading this bit in The Sun from Martin Foyle about Main's transfer it seems clear Motherwell has always been a one time thing and he was (not unreasonably) viewing Scotland as a platform.

Edited by capt_oats

It's crazy what difference a year makes. 

When that article went out, he was universally revered amongst our support, yet a year down the line, half of our fans want to punt him and the other half want to keep him for what he brings to the team despite not scoring.

I'm sure I've said it on here before, but over his career, it tends to show last season as a non-goalscorer going through a purple patch, rather than a goalscorer currently going through a drought.

Myself and @AndyRoss were having a good laugh at the Rangers game when we heard he'd described himself as Motherwell's version of Olivier Giroud. Whilst I get the comparison based on the World Cup, it still seemed quite bold comparing himself to a guy only third to Thierry Henry and Michel Platini in goals for France. :blink:

I reckon I'm in the camp where I would offer him a deal, probably only a year, but at the same time if he went, I wouldn't be too distraught. I do suspect Championship is above his level, league one would probably be the highest place I reckon he could go down south.

There's no doubt his graft has aided us in the second half of this season, but given the huge turnover we're expecting, we could be in a position next season where we're in need of a regular strike rate from our number 9. I reckon that would even be the case if we were to keep and play Frear.

I'll always hold fond memories of him a year ago yesterday, particularly his second and our third that day. I really can't think of another goal like that in a big game, the amount of time we had to gather nerves and anticipation as he went through on goal.

Edited by crazylegsjoe

54 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The Main to Hearts rumour (like the Aberdeen story through the week) sounds massively like his agent flying a kite.

I thought the line in the Record piece about the Aberdeen interest seemed pretty, pretty accurate:

I'd imagine if there's interest from some mid-table League 1 team (or even a newly promoted Championship side if he's really lucky) then that's where he'll end up.

Reading this bit in The Sun from Martin Foyle about Main's transfer it seems clear Motherwell has always been a one time thing and he was (not unreasonably) viewing Scotland as a platform.

Here's a hot take:

I'd actually be more concerned if someone didn't come to us looking to have a platform for a new club. Obviously if it was me I'd want to play for Motherwell until the end of time but, ultimately, these guys are coming up here for a reason. You get more TV coverage than you get in the old Vanarama division so why not have a punt at it. 

8 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Here's a hot take:

I'd actually be more concerned if someone didn't come to us looking to have a platform for a new club. Obviously if it was me I'd want to play for Motherwell until the end of time but, ultimately, these guys are coming up here for a reason. You get more TV coverage than you get in the old Vanarama division so why not have a punt at it. 

You giving up on that dream?