Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

This is pretty dry so apologies in advance but given that's Gallagher confirmed the fact that it's a pre-contract and a relatively high profile name from the same league is quite unusual.

Given Robinson was talking about them still being down scouting the lower leagues in England every midweek I doubt it's a massive shift in recruitment strategy but it'll be interesting to see if this marks more of a focus on bringing in quality for the re-build.

Anyway, here's a list of Robinson's signings and the level they were playing at before/when they signed. It's fair to say that League 1 in England seems to be very much our market.

Spoiler

Scottish Premiership
Fisher (ICT), Sammon (Hearts - loan), Gallagher (Livi - pre-contract)

Scottish League 1
Ferguson (Airdrie)

English Championship
Grimshaw (Preston), Ariyibi (Nottingham Forest - loan)

English League 1
Bigirimana (Coventry), Rose (Coventry), Dunne (Oldham), Main (Portsmouth), Hartley (Blackpool), Ciftci (Plymouth on loan from Celtic - loan), Aldred (Bury - loan), Hendrie (Southend - loan), Gillespie (Walsall), Taylor-Sinclair (Plymouth)

English League 2
Tanner (Plymouth on loan from Reading), Carson (Hartlepool), 

Vanarama
Newell (AFC Fylde on loan from Bolton), Donnelly (Hartlepool), Johnson (Gateshead)

EPL (u23)
Kipre (Leciester), Plummer (Manchester City)

English Championship (u23)
Mbulu (Millwall)

International
Petravicius (Zagłębie Lubin), Xenodochof (Athlitiki Enosi Larissa), Gorrin (Sepsi Sfântu Gheorghe), McCormack (Central Coast Mariners on loan from Aston Villa - loan)

By extension there are threads of clubs that seem to be a common denominator for a lot of our signings: 

• Plymouth (Tanner, ATS, Ciftci, Hartley +McHugh pre-Robinson) 
  • Blackpool (Dunne, Aldred, Hartley + Blyth pre-Robinson),
  • Hartlepool (Carson, Donnelly, Hartley),
  • Gateshead (Johnson + Bowman pre-Robinson)

I doubt it's exact and there's every chance it's coincidence since a fair number of our signings fall into the "journeyman" category there's bound to be an overlap of sorts but you'd think it gives an indication of what sort of areas our recruitment is focusing on and the North East & North West of England are presumably a bit more drivable for Robinson and Lasley.

Edited by capt_oats

As you have above, the majority of signings have come from clubs in the north of England. Do you reckon this has anything to do with Robinson's philosophy of bringing in the right characters, people who can relate to the town, the fans, similar to what Grimshaw mentions in his video about motherwell and the town just getting a hold of you cause he comes from a similar background. As opposed to guys who have spent there whole career in and around London and the south of england.

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

As you have above, the majority of signings have come from clubs in the north of England. Do you reckon this has anything to do with Robinson's philosophy of bringing in the right characters, people who can relate to the town, the fans, similar to what Grimshaw mentions in his video about motherwell and the town just getting a hold of you cause he comes from a similar background. As opposed to guys who have spent there whole career in and around London and the south of england.

I'd be surprised if it's as abstract as that as a starting point, though it's something they'll probably factor in during the recruitment process.

I'd have thought it'd be more likely to simply be about geography. Players based around London/South/South East will have certain wage expectations. Somewhere like Plymouth by comparison is the arse end of nowhere so we may be an easier sell. Players in the North are closer geographically and potentially in wage expectations.

Our head of recruitment is based in Stoke (going by his LinkedIn), so the way I'd have thought it'd work is; he has contacts and a network of people across England whose judgement he trusts. He'll get recommendations based on what we need and that's filtered back to Robinson/Burrows/Ross Clarkson and the dialogue then goes back and forth. I'm guessing that breaking things down as above allows you to build a picture of areas that there's familiarity. Essentially there are people somewhere in the process who watch a lot of Blackpool, Plymouth etc.

If you don't mind giving The Sun a click then there's an interview here with Foyle talking about Main kb'ing an extra £1k pw to sign for us.

Edited by capt_oats

56 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

At the time I swear it felt like about 10 minutes between him blocking the clearance and scoring. Genuinely one of my favourite ever days following Motherwell. 

I think you are being a bit generous with 'clearance' :lol:  You won't be getting any of that rubbish with Gallagher. I'm not sure how much the Motherwell fans have seen of him but he's a really good dribbler as well. We've become accustomed to him hitting the byline and he is very calm in possession. I wonder if the reason for announcing the signing of a relatively good performer was to demonstrate ambition and thereby increase the chances of retaining your out of contract players.

59 minutes ago, crispy said:

I think you are being a bit generous with 'clearance' :lol:  You won't be getting any of that rubbish with Gallagher. I'm not sure how much the Motherwell fans have seen of him but he's a really good dribbler as well. We've become accustomed to him hitting the byline and he is very calm in possession. I wonder if the reason for announcing the signing of a relatively good performer was to demonstrate ambition and thereby increase the chances of retaining your out of contract players.

He sounds absolutely like Tom Aldred which I assume is who he is replacing. 

I've only seen bits and piece of Gallagher but he does look like a player. He'll absolutely saunter into our starting XI.

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

He sounds absolutely like Tom Aldred which I assume is who he is replacing. 

I've only seen bits and piece of Gallagher but he does look like a player. He'll absolutely saunter into our starting XI.

I noticed Mo Ross jumping to Gallagher's defence in response to some mile-oot Rangers fan on Twitter.

He pointed out big Dec is "one of the few footballing centre backs in Scotland".

And who am I to argue with that...

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I noticed Mo Ross jumping to Gallagher's defence in response to some mile-oot Rangers fan on Twitter.

He pointed out big Dec is "one of the few footballing centre backs in Scotland".

And who am I to argue with that...

I, for one, will not be taking up an argument with oor Declan.