Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm honestly raging that Bowman at Tynecastle isn't included. By far the most I've lost the plot at a game this year.

Genuinely forgot about that goal but it was an absolute cracker. Full away stand went proper mental. Think it might’ve had my vote

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm honestly raging that Bowman at Tynecastle isn't included. By far the most I've lost the plot at a game this year.

Exactly what I was saying too if a team in England or Spain scored a goal like that you would never hear the end of it tbh. Because theres no Bowman option I have went with Turnbull's goal v Dundee!

The big man got his first goals for Exeter last night in a 3-2 loss at Macclesfield. His 2nd is a tidy finish from just outside the box.

Anyway, sadsack that I am I was having a nose around their forum to see what the general chat about Bowman was and noticed a shout suggesting that Craig Tanner to Exeter is apparently a "done deal".

I mean, without wanting to place too much credibility on posts on internet forums it's quite unexpected. Given the length of time he's been out I'd just imagined he'd extend for a year and try and get some football but equally I can't imagine we're offering anything like the sort of money he's on just now so if someone's willing to take a punt that his knee's fixed and offer him more cash I definitely can't see us standing in his way.

Anyway, enjoy big Herbalife pinging them in in the English lower leagues...

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

In massive agreement with this. 

For me, I'd also like to have seen Turnball's goal against Hibs at Fir Park in there. After what we'd watched/endured for the first half of the season and after the County game, it was a fucking lovely season-saving surprise.

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The big man got his first goals for Exeter last night in a 3-2 loss at Macclesfield. His 2nd is a tidy finish from just outside the box.

Anyway, sadsack that I am I was having a nose around their forum to see what the general chat about Bowman was and noticed a shout suggesting that Craig Tanner to Exeter is apparently a "done deal".

Pleased for him, spoke to a former player for Sunday's programme and he was saying he's settled in really well and they were all desperate for him to break his duck. 

In regards to Tanner, it might be as much a case of the player wanting to push the reset button on his career too. A year and a bit of recovery at Fir Park probably has built the expectation levels levels for when he returns way above what the reality is likely to be when he does. 

1 minute ago, AndyRoss said:

Pleased for him, spoke to a former player for Sunday's programme and he was saying he's settled in really well and they were all desperate for him to break his duck. 

In regards to Tanner, it might be as much a case of the player wanting to push the reset button on his career too. A year and a bit of recovery at Fir Park probably has built the expectation levels levels for when he returns way above what the reality is likely to be when he does. 

Aye, I read your bit with Nicky Law. Surprised to hear Jake Taylor speaks highly of his time here.

Absolutely agree re: Tanner. I can imagine that psychologically a fresh start would be welcome after a year out and also the fact he broke down after his first comeback.

I liked Tanner, one of the few players we had last season that had a bit of craft or guile about him and he really stepped up once he got a game through the middle after Moult left.

However if we persist with our current system, it’s hard to see where he’d actually fit?

He’s not a target man. Robinson likes his wide men to have pace, Tanner was never the quickest and I can’t imagine a serious knee injury will have done much to improve his mobility. And the attacking central role belongs to Turnbull.

I’d have happily given him another year on a vastly reduced rate, as I think he’d probably be a decent option to have in the squad or off the bench. However if it’s true a teams actually willing to offer him decent money despite him not having kicked a ball in over a year, I can’t say I’d blame him for taking it.

Edited by Casagolda

Have any of you seen much of Semple? Obviously broke into the reserves at a very young age and now has even captained them on a few occasions (not sure how significant that is deemed in the current time, but surely is a demonstration that the coaching team and players think highly of him?).

I was moaning about feeling pretty enthused about the post-split games, getting to see the likes of Semple getting their chance certainly would add an element of intrigue though.

personally, the hype the fans have over Semple comes from when he was on trial with sunderland and on the radar of liveprool, spurs, everton etc at a young age, and more recently the fact he seems to be pinging in belters and has been made captain of the reserves adds to the hype I suppose.

20 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Did Semple not go for a trial with Benfica? Or was that someone else?

The initial hype when he was 14 mentioned Sunderland, Southampton, Liverpool, Man City & Spurs. The Benfica link may have been a Braidhurst thing? SFA

As mentioned, Tom Leighton was over when he was with the u17s (prior to moving to Watford).

Daily Record

The Herald

Fwiw: I did a bit of digging and this was one of Semple's first goals for the u20s when he was 15. I've not seen much of him as he was really only on the bench when I was heading along to u20s games but we seem to be earmarking him for a more deep-lying role as opposed to a striker.

Edited by capt_oats