Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It's a curious comment and seems pretty pointed. No doubt.

Initially you just take it as a standard "the season's pretty much over we need to make sure we don't go on our holidays" but the kicker is "if they've got their eyes on other pictures or other things then they won't play. I'm not here to facilitate people's moves I'm here to win football matches for Motherwell."

It seems a bit more than just a kick up the arse. It's obviously easy to think he's talking about Hastie because he's the one who seems to be in the papers every day getting linked with clubs but given the sheer number of players that are out of contract in the summer you could really take your pick I suppose.

It's interesting that the pull quote on the Twitter feed (again) is about the final third. "I can't fault the effort but, in the end, we weren't quite good enough in the final third in the second half."

It was the bit in bold that stood out for me, makes it seem like he’s having a very specific dig at somebody- who’s more interested in their summer move than the here and now. 

While Hastie would seem the obvious target, it’d be strange to say it on a night where he played him for the full 90 mins and he scored our only goal. Also for all the talk of Ross Forbes and purple patches, that’s his 7th goal in 12 games since he came back from Alloa. I find it hard to be overly critical of the boy, he’s been tremendous for us and played a massive part in turning our season around. 

Anyway, having been at Easter Road a few weeks back last night wasn’t really a surprise for me. While we’re great to watch and fairly free scoring at home, that hasn’t really translated to away games. Apart from maybe away to St.Mirren, any other game I’ve seen away from home we’ve really not managed to impose ourselves and have struggled to create chances or score goals. 

Still the second half of the season has been a massive improvement on the first and we do seem to be moving in the right direction. I imagine we’ll see the usual team again on Sunday but it’ll be interesting to see how Robinson approaches the post split fixtures with so many players in that team unlikely to be at Fir Park next season.

Edited by Casagolda

10 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Having a wee dig at somebody here? 

Specifically mentions downing tools and players with their eyes on other things, not once but twice.

I was wondering if it was directed at Gorrin.  Not specifically for the way he's been playing but maybe the way he's been training hence why he was dropped.  2+2=5 and all that. 

Of course he was probably nursing a wee knock and it was aimed at somebody else. If I was going on performance last night Main would be the obvious target at he had one of those games where he couldn't hold up anything and spent half the game trying to win  (unsuccessfully) fouls. 

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

It was the bit in bold that stood out for me, makes it seem like he’s having a very specific dig at somebody- who’s more interested in their summer move than the here and now. 

While Hastie would seem the obvious target, it’d be strange to say it on a night where he played him for the full 90 mins and he scored our only goal. Also for all the talk of Ross Forbes and purple patches, that’s his 7th goal in 12 games since he came back from Alloa. I find it hard to be overly critical of the boy, he’s been tremendous for us and played a massive part in turning our season around. 

Anyway, having been at Easter Road a few weeks back last night wasn’t really a surprise for me. While we’re great to watch and fairly free scoring at home, that hasn’t really translated to away games. Apart from maybe away to St.Mirren, any other game I’ve seen away from home we’ve really not managed to impose ourselves and have struggled to create chances or score goals. 

Still the second half of the season has been a massive improvement on the first and we do seem to be moving in the right direction. I imagine we’ll see the usual team again on Sunday but it’ll be interesting to see how Robinson approaches the post split fixtures with so many players in that team unlikely to be at Fir Park next season.

Aye, the knee jerk response is obviously to think he's talking about someone like Hastie but as you say he's started pretty much every game in the 2nd half of the season and his goal return has been very decent.

Reading between the lines it sounds like he's taking a shot at players who aren't playing and may be unsettled as a result. Thinking about it Hartley and Johnson probably fall into that category (and both are still under contract).

Essentially he's saying that he's not going to give players game time just for the sake of it. If they want to be in the team in order to get teams interested they need to be in there on merit...or something.

Which is fair enough tbqh.

Edited by capt_oats

Interesting number in terms of who we've offered to.

Here's who's out of contract from the first team squad:

Mbulu, McHugh, Cadden, Frear, Gorrin, Main, Newell, Tanner and Hastie plus loans expiring for Aldred, Ariyibi, McCormack and Sammon

That ties in with his comment about looking at having to sign up to 12 players.

I think we can safely say Newell will be patched and with the best will in the world Mbulu isn't going to be a priority so from those on permanent deals half a dozen amounts to McHugh, Cadden, Frear, Gorrin, Main and Hastie.

Of the loans both Ariyibi and McCormack are still under contract at their parent clubs. It's been clear for ages that we've written off Sammon. Which leaves Aldred and I'm guessing the rumoured pre-contract for Gallagher puts that to bed.

Presumably our offers to McHugh, Frear and Main would be based on a reduced squad role similar to the offer we made to Ainsworth when his deal was up so it's hardly a surprise if they're holding off on committing. A conscious uncoupling for all three wouldn't exactly be a shock.

Hastie clearly has plenty of options given the hype around him just now and I wouldn't be wholly surprised if Cadden felt we've had a decent innings from him and wanted to try and kick on elsewhere.

Clearly annoying and frustrating from Robinson's point of view but at the same time there's probably an argument for freshening things up anyway though I'm sure he'd have been keen to avoid another re-build.

Edited by capt_oats

13 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Having a wee dig at somebody here? 

Specifically mentions downing tools and players with their eyes on other things, not once but twice.

“We dominated the first half.”        First half stats: Motherwell, shots - 1, on target - 1.

Aberdeen, shots - 11, on target 5.

I know that stats can sometimes hide the truth.....but come on. 

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

“We dominated the first half.”        First half stats: Motherwell, shots - 1, on target - 1.

Aberdeen, shots - 11, on target 5.

I know that stats can sometimes hide the truth.....but come on. 

I didn't read too much in to it. Typical defeated manager post match interview. McInnes is one of the worst for it.

Thinking a bit more about Robinson talking about renewals.

Given the club's sales pitch for bringing guys up from the lower leagues in England was based on providing a platform for them to advance their career it's surely not a massive shock if McHugh (who's previously signed an extension), Main and especially Frear (given he was asked to play as a wing-back for the bulk of last season and has spent a fair amount of his time on the bench) would feel that after a 2-3 seasons they've done their bit and are due a shot at a better paying gig if they can get one.

It's pretty much what we sold to them.

As a side point, it's interesting to note that our value players are now predominately from the Academy.

Carson's obviously been massively unlucky with the DVT and the timing of Celtic's enquiry last season, IIRC we've kb'd an offer for Charlie Dunne in the past but as it stands if we're looking at sellable assets it's academy products as opposed to players we've recruited; Turnbull, Campbell (both under contract) along with Cadden and Hastie (subject to development compensation).

Would be interesting to know if this shift along with The Jake Hastie Experience is making us reappraise how we go about things in terms of recruitment and also protecting our investment in Academy players.

Edited by capt_oats

I think there is going to be more emphasis on getting the right number of 1st team players in.

We basically gave away Ryan Bowman, Gael Bigirimana, Andy Rose and Aaron Taylor Sinclair in January and brought in no one.  Add to that Shea Gordon and Ross MacLean who were also given away. And George Newell.

The squad was a complete mess at the start of the season and that is without talking about our 7 centre backs and 3 goalkeepers.

Main 'set to move on' and 'is keen to return south' according to Scott Burns in the Record.

Naturally, Aberdeen are interested because: Derek McInnes but "He is waiting to see what options he has in England before he decides on his next move."

Shocked...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

Like most players Main splits opinion. 

Because of his reasonably prolific start with us and helping us to get over the loss of Moult. Plus his goal in the cup semi-final, he had built up a lot of goodwill in my eyes and others. 

He does a power of work and is a nuisance for defenders. 

BUT 

He was signed as a striker and in the Main (excuse the pun) they are there to score goals.  He has done very little of that this season despite having numerous opportunities. We may end up replacing him with an inferior version but I think it is time for him to move on. Pleased he was here for the most part, but not overly concerned if he goes is how I would sum it up. 

Would want to keep Cadden, Hastie, Frear, Aldred and Gorrin. But I suspect the only two we may have a chance of keeping are Cadden and Frear. With Cadden we ought to be due a fair chunk of compensation which would not be far of his actual and realistic transfer value and that may well deter suitors. 

I like Main a lot - when he first came he was bodying folk all over the place and, most importantly, scoring goals. Now he's still bodying folk but it seems that, a lot of the time, it's just for the sake of it. He looks shot of any confidence in front of goal and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't score again this season. If / when he does go then i'll wish him luck.

If we stick with the same system next season then I think we should prioritise a John Sutton type striker - someone who can put in a shift but predominantly sticks between the 18 yard lines and finishes anything that comes his way. With wingers like Cadden / Frear / Hastie / whoever we have next season along with a midfield of Campbell, Turnbull and Gorrin, there should be plenty of chances for a decent goalscorer to put away.

I would love Hastie to stay, but is holding on to Gorrin equally if not more important? No denying what Hastie brings to the team but the balance we have right now in the middle with Campbell Gorrin and Turnbull is crucial to how we play.

Since his double at Hampden this time last year, Main’s scored 6 goals in 40 games. That includes a penalty as well as goals against Edinburgh City and Clyde.

He’s done a good job of leading the line since the turn of the year, see our first 2 goals last Saturday for examples, however that goal tally is still absolutely appalling. Plus, the games like Easter Road where nothing sticks and he just spends the full time jumping into people are infuriating to watch. 

Still, how many strikers have we actually had that can play the lone striker role well? You’d argue that Main, although clearly not a natural goalscorer, has done it as well as anyone. 

If Robinson does want to play the same system next season, it’ll be a difficult role to fill this summer and one he will have to get right.

Edited by Casagolda

The thing that low-key caught my attention in that Scott Burns piece is that apparently Aberdeen tried to sign Main in January but he patched them which suggests he's known for a while that he'd be off at the end of the season and thought he'll have better options in the summer window.

And that's absolutely fine. As I said yesterday our entire sales pitch to guys like Main is come up here give yourself a bit more exposure than playing in the lower leagues in England and trade up. Looking back it seems notable that despite his purple patch Main was one who didn't get an extension at the end of last season when we were dishing them out like sweeties. According to Main in mid-February we were yet to open up talks which suggests he's not exactly been a priority.

As it stands Main's the best least worst option we have. Acknowledging that he's "done a job", lead the line well and he's had a bit of a hard time for not being Louis Moult isn't necessarily an endorsement for keeping him on. I suppose one of the successes of this season has been Robinson finding a system that he's comfortable with, the players are comfortable with, is relatively solid (6 league clean sheets in 11 since the winter break) and keeps the fans onside.

In that respect I'd like to think that after this season Robinson may have a clearer idea of what he needs from his #9 (I mean he's tried a few now). It's hindsight but I wonder if that explains the Lyndon Dykes link from January (not particularly prolific but has height, presence and technical ability)?

Either way, putting 2+2 together I think we have a winner as to who Robinson was taking a shot at post-match. I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Scott starting from now on if he's fit.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

A John Sutton type striker wouldn’t work. As much as I love big handsome, he couldn’t play up front on his own.

Never EVER speak of John Sutton in this manner. He can do whatever he puts his mind to.

TBF I do get what you're saying. My point was more that Main does a lot of putting himself about and holding the ball up which is fine when he's up front himself and we need him to bring others into play. With this current system where we have midfielders who can actually keep a hold of the ball and out-and-out wingers who can create chances I feel that we just need a striker who's main role is to put the ball in the net which, unfortunately, Main doesn't do a lot of.

John Sutton was the first name that came into my head because he scored a fair amount of goals without doing too much else. Also, he's incredibly handsome.

9 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

My point was more that Main does a lot of putting himself about and holding the ball up which is fine when he's up front himself and we need him to bring others into play. With this current system where we have midfielders who can actually keep a hold of the ball and out-and-out wingers who can create chances I feel that we just need a striker who's main role is to put the ball in the net which, unfortunately, Main doesn't do a lot of.

If that were the case, we'd just fling Danny Johnson up front instead of Curtis Main...Johnson just scores goals after all.

The Main thing is a real conundrum, I've 'had words' with folk at games recently for the constant abuse the guy is getting, and I understand that hes not scoring goals (which is generally pretty mandatory for a number 9 to do), and that he often mis-times his jumps when attempting to win headers against much taller defenders (bearing in mind he is only 5'10")...but what I can see is that his effort and his physicality is often occupying at least 2 defenders, opening up gaps for the likes of Hastie to take that through ball from Tait or to allow Frear to score that opener against St Johnstone after Dunne bounced the ball off Main with his back to goal. Some people watch games without ever really understanding them I feel.

In all my time, watching Motherwell, I can never remember a striker who looked completely comfortable up front on his own and scored goals, except Michael Higdon. John Sutton couldn't have played that role in a month of Sundays.