Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 hours ago, crazylegsjoe said:

I must say that I've always liked Frear and think he gets a harsh press of our fans, but in truth it's time for him to go now too. You could argue that with potentially Ariyibi and Hastie going in the summer, we could replace them with a right footed winger in Cadden and a left footed winger in Frear from within, but in all honesty, I can't see either of them being suited to our current way of inverting wingers, so that would require a change in style again.

I think the unfortunate thing for Frear is that he seems to be of a fit that is getting more and more redundant in the modern game. Whilst he would probably be described as an out-an-out winger, these days teams have full backs and wide forwards, neither of which I can see him transitioning to particularly well.

I've mentioned Frear in a few of my posts about the squad recently. I've no particular beef with him, I think he's been quite unlucky tbqh.

He was supposed to have been Johnson's replacement but the deal didn't go through in time (and he's never really been a replacement for Marv anyway), he arrived at the club just as we went into free fall, the manager who signed him was sacked, his replacement switched to wingbacks which suited Tait and Cadden (more than it did him), he picked up an injury and he's been on the fringes of things ever since.

Even when we did switch back to a shape that would suit him he's seen the emergence of Hastie bump him back to the bench.

There are more than a few sliding doors moments there but equally he's not even close to being the sort of wrecking ball type player Robinson clearly has a thing for.

In the same way McHugh would be an expensive sub, Frear's presumably on a first team wage too. If we're having to replace Ariyibi and Hastie in the summer then I'm not sure drafting in a player who couldn't get into the side ahead of either is the way to go.

It kind of feels like his is a wage that Robinson could probably earmark for someone who's a better fit IMO.

Anyway, that's Cadden got a goal today and it's interesting to see that's another game where Semple seems to have been running the show. Liam Donnelly pinging in a free kick too.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, AndyRoss said:

Daily Record reporting Hastie has agreed terms on a four year deal with Rangers.

They also add it's a deal where he will earn 15 GRAND  a week!

Can't see it.  Rangers aren't known for wildly throwing money about. 

3 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

Daily Record reporting Hastie has agreed terms on a four year deal with Rangers.

They also add it's a deal where he will earn 15 GRAND  a week!

They surely wont be paying him that much, he looks good an all, but hes had what, a decent two months?

Footballs mental.

That's yer Adam Livingstone signed a year extension...

Interesting bit of chat in the news story that possibly balances out the whole "he's been hung out to dry" narrative that people seem to like.

“Adam is a player with a lot of raw talent and potential,” he said.

“We’ve asked a lot of him in terms of his football on and off the park, and to his credit, he has embraced that and deserves his new deal.

“It’s now up to him to make that left back position his own, the same way Allan Campbell, David Turnbull and Jake Hastie have cemented their spot in the team. I certainly believe he has it in him.”

Livingstone spent a short spell on loan at League One side East Fife last season and is looking forward to the challenge of joining his fellow youngsters in the Fir Park first team.

“I am delighted to have extended my contract at the club,” he said.

“The manager has been great with me. He’s been very clear about what I need to do and has even taken his own personal time to try and help improve my game.

“I am desperate to be a success here, My family and I have all been lifelong supporters of the club, and all my focus is now establishing myself.”

Good lad.

Edit: McGarry rubbishing the Hastie story too.

Edited by capt_oats

Can I just put this out there.

David Turnbull is the best and most complete footballer we have ever produced.

McFadden clearly the most enigmatic and O’Donnell a club legend and outstanding player. However Turnbull is just an utter joy to watch.

His composure, range of passing and ability to retain the ball is levels above.

He didn’t have his best of games today but tells it all when you have a team like St Johnstone coming to Fir Park and they man mark him.

A top top talent and easily a £2.5m player right now.

3 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Can I just put this out there.

David Turnbull is the best and most complete footballer we have ever produced.

McFadden clearly the most enigmatic and O’Donnell a club legend and outstanding player. However Turnbull is just an utter joy to watch.

His composure, range of passing and ability to retain the ball is levels above.

He didn’t have his best of games today but tells it all when you have a team like St Johnstone coming to Fir Park and they man mark him.

A top top talent and easily a £2.5m player right now.

I disagree...

Only with the asking price though. £5m