Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Tweet from Burrows there acknowledging Robinson.

2 years ago today he was confirmed as manager and Hibs is his 100th game in charge (currently P 99 W 44 D 16 L 39 = 44.4% win 39.3% loss) 

Mental how young he looks on the bench of those play-off games like.

Edited by capt_oats

I'm really pleased for Robinson, there's been some real highs during these two years and spells where I doubted we'd ever win a game ever again.

Two cup finals last season was unreal, the semi finals  and the build up to both finals will stay with me forever.

Coming into December I didn't see anyway back for him, but again he's continued to learn, changed things up and got the results.

Another interesting point is that when he was appointed, some used his failed spell at Oldham as a stick to beat him with, bit of irony that his two year anniversary has came around as Paul Scholes left following just 31 days in charge - seems like a total madhouse of a football club. 

Personally, I'd be really pleased to see him continue in the role for a long time, I think he's shown that he's capable of digging us out of trouble, has made a number of good signings and is now the man in charge of us playing some of the best football we have in quite some time.

Edited by AndyRoss

22 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

I'm really pleased for Robinson, there's been some real highs during these two years and spells where I doubted we'd ever win a game ever again.

Two cup finals last season was unreal, the semi finals are days and the build up to both finals will stay with me forever.

Coming into December I didn't see anyway back for him, but again he's continued to learn, changed things up and got the results.

Another interesting point is that when he was appointed, some used his failed spell at Oldham as a stick to beat him with, bit of irony that his two year anniversary has came around as Paul Scholes left following just 31 days in charge - seems like a total madhouse of a football club. 

Personally, I'd be really pleased to see him continue in the role for a long time, I think he's shown that he's capable of digging us out of trouble, has made a number of good signings and is now the man in charge of us playing some of the best football we have in quite some time.

I think that's one of the things I admire most about him. He's been willing to almost admit he got it wrong and changed things up a bit to turn it around. I've got a lot of time for Robinson.

The Scholes departure is a good laugh to read about but that Oldham owner seems like a total madman. It's not exactly surprising that they're jettisoning managers at a rate of knots. 

3 hours ago, CSmith said:

Well in fairness it’s quite a stressful job being permanently berated by Well Fans II

It's like those before and after pictures of US presidents where they go totally grey in the space of a term. Though I imagine being the leader of the free world is a lot less stressful than dodging Well Fans II for a living.

27 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I think that's one of the things I admire most about him. He's been willing to almost admit he got it wrong and changed things up a bit to turn it around. I've got a lot of time for Robinson.

The Scholes departure is a good laugh to read about but that Oldham owner seems like a total madman. It's not exactly surprising that they're jettisoning managers at a rate of knots. 

I think the thing about that is that not only has he been willing to admit it and change it up, he's actually been able to implement that change.

One of the question marks for me this season was whether he'd be able to set up a team to be a bit more expansive and just generally learn on the job. Pick out things that were working and make them better and bin things that didn't work. I think it's apparent that more than anything Robinson is a good coach and looking at someone like Tait under McGhee vs under Robinson suggests he can actually improve players too.

Similarly while Craigan will (rightly) get a lot of the credit for the likes of Turnbull and Hastie, it's still Robinson who's getting the performances out of them in the first team.

I honestly can't blame him for going into this season looking to replicate last season because ultimately it was a solid enough season so I doubt he saw the issues coming. The fact that he's been able to completely transform a side by making 3 changes to the starting XI says a lot for him IMO.

From what I can tell Scholes was Oldham's fifth manager since they emptied Robinson. I've no idea if it's the same owner but...fucking hell.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I think the thing about that is that not only has he been willing to admit it and change it up, he's actually been able to implement that change.

One of the question marks for me this season was whether he'd be able to set up a team to be a bit more expansive and just generally learn on the job. Pick out things that were working and make them better and bin things that didn't work. I think it's apparent that more than anything Robinson is a good coach and looking at someone like Tait under McGhee vs under Robinson suggests he can actually improve players too.

Similarly while Craigan will (rightly) get a lot of the credit for the likes of Turnbull and Hastie, it's still Robinson who's getting the performances out of them in the first team.

I honestly can't blame him for going into this season looking to replicate last season because ultimately it was a solid enough season so I doubt he saw the issues coming. The fact that he's been able to completely transform a side by making 3 changes to the starting XI says a lot for him IMO.

From what I can tell Scholes was Oldham's fifth manager since they emptied Robinson. I've no idea if it's the same owner but...fucking hell.

From a quick look on Wiki it seems this guy has been owner since January 2018, but I mind when Robinson took over did he not have a transfer embargo and only three contracted players. 

I'm fairly certain Robinson wasn't actually that bad at Oldham. Did they not have an outrageous number of clean sheets but just couldn't score?

29 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

From a quick look on Wiki it seems this guy has been owner since January 2018, but I mind when Robinson took over did he not have a transfer embargo and only three contracted players. 

I'm fairly certain Robinson wasn't actually that bad at Oldham. Did they not have an outrageous number of clean sheets but just couldn't score?

He definitely arrived and had next to no first team squad. I'm not sure whether the embargo was the summer or January window.

These were his league results, lost 11 of 24. As you say 6 0-0s there:

5c8bd4bba87e1_ScreenShot2019-03-15at16_36_44.thumb.png.8abb969337ef9f0a77ebcb68b3a5ecdd.png

I suppose it's worth looking at his record in context, Dickov and Lee Johnson are the last ones who were there for any real length of time from the look of things:

5c8bd5883fcc5_ScreenShot2019-03-15at16_40_03.thumb.png.b2afcf8c2cbe1abe8d4daf735d0d2d0d.png

Edited by capt_oats

Minor gripe and irrelevant I know, but why do we wear our 'away' kit in just about every away match this season? I thought the away kit was only used when there was an obvious colour clash but we seem insistent on wearing it just about every single away match we play. And to add that we've only won something like three times whilst wearing it. 

59 minutes ago, MJC said:

Minor gripe and irrelevant I know, but why do we wear our 'away' kit in just about every away match this season? I thought the away kit was only used when there was an obvious colour clash but we seem insistent on wearing it just about every single away match we play. And to add that we've only won something like three times whilst wearing it. 

I also think it's a fairly ugly away kit. I've been a fan of the recent claret efforts that have come out but this one just doesn't do it for me. 

23 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I also think it's a fairly ugly away kit. I've been a fan of the recent claret efforts that have come out but this one just doesn't do it for me. 

I'm a fan of how it looks, but I just don't understand why we wear it in just about every away match we play. I may be wrong here and feel free to correct me if I am but the only away matches we haven't wore it this season were Aberdeen and Hearts, where there would have been a clear clash with those sides home kits, Dundee away twice and Accies. And if my memory serves me correctly we have only won three league matches whilst wearing it - twice away against St.Mirren and away against St.Johnstone...with the only other win being against Clyde in the Betfred Cup. It's not as if it's a 'lucky' charm as we were told about wearing our away kit in the 2005 League Cup Final, which of course ended in humiliation.

Unless there is some sort of contractual agreement in place that insists we wear it on X-amount of times, I really don't get why it's used so often.

Aye, Ramsden arrived just as we did and he was definitely at the Scottish cup final- his rendition of forever in blue jeans over the Cooper Stand PA will be remembered by all who witnessed it post match. I believe drink had been taken.

On 11/03/2019 at 10:57, Casagolda said:

Also as much as I’m a fan of Main and what he contributes, 3 league goals in 26 games is a pretty appalling return for your first choice centre forward and you wonder if we could upgrade in the summer.

Although given Danny Johnson’s shaky cameo on Saturday combined with the McCormack news, he’s pretty much the only option we have between now and the end of the season.

Think Saturday was probably about the tipping point for me in terms of being on the fence about keeping Main.

Watching him stumble about spectacularly missing timing headers and just generally running into people had me positively seething. As much as it’s a hard role, if you’re playing one up front I think you need a bit more than that. Especially when you’re widemen are being nullified. Plus 2 goals in nearly 6 months really is a horrendous return.

Does anyone actually think Scott is ready to lead the line? From what I’ve seen I’d say not really and his continued appearances are probably more of a result of Robinson not really fancying his other options rather than the boy himself being ready. However at this point you wonder if we actually have much to lose by giving him a go against St.Johnstone.

The teams pretty much picked itself the last few months but with top 6 all but gone, you wonder if Robinson will start to have an eye on next season in the remaining games.

Edited by Casagolda