Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I was still shitting it until half time in the second leg. Once we got to the break maintaining the 2 goal lead I started to relax a little bit, and when Bell punched the ball into the net I knew we’d done it and it was party time from there!

I didn’t make it to the Ibrox game and watched it with my face about 6 inches in front of my TV- couldn’t sit still. Never ever been as nervous/apprehensive about a game either before or since.

24 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Really? I was still shiteing it come the 2nd leg personally, probably despite the reality of situation. I don't think i relaxed at all until that sweet sweet moment of Bell punching it in his own net. 

6 minutes ago, dezz said:

I was still shitting it until half time in the second leg. Once we got to the break maintaining the 2 goal lead I started to relax a little bit, and when Bell punched the ball into the net I knew we’d done it and it was party time from there!

That's pretty much how I felt as well.  I spent the first half thinking, "if they score first here, we're going to crumble".

After Cammy Bell stepped up, it was party time.  I'll never stop getting goosebumps watching the highlights and hearing THAT noise as the ball goes into the net.  Joyous relief!

10 minutes ago, Desp said:

I'll never stop getting goosebumps watching the highlights and hearing THAT noise as the ball goes into the net

It's longest ever recorded use of the word "yaaas".

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

It's longest ever recorded use of the word "yaaas".

It's one thing I love about Scottish football, "yaaas" being screamed by thousands of people at one time just sounds amazing.

28 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

It's one thing I love about Scottish football, "yaaas" being screamed by thousands of people at one time just sounds amazing.

Yeh - folk shouting "Gol!" has never done it for me....

Me and the missus fell out before the 2nd leg of that play-off. She's not even that interested in football but just wanted to go because it was such a big game. I was a nervous wreck but she spent the entire build up talking utter shite to the point where I had to tell her (politely) to shut the f**k up.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I didn't go to Ibrox because I had an exam and I would appreciate it if nobody ever brings it up again.

I had my final ever uni exam the day after Craig Reid day at Pittodrie, I feel your pain.

For what it's worth, I loved Ibrox, great night, but in the second leg I was more nervous for having won. I felt like I went from thinking we probably would go down to having everything to lose. When we were 5-1 up on aggregate and there was twenty odd minutes left, it was then I began to enjoy myself.

At Ibrox I felt that them scoring wasn't a bad thing to keep us focused in the second leg, but by Fir Park I realised losing the first goal could be the start of something bad, so much joy and pain, fear and delight all at once, it was tiring.

I don't think I've ever heard a roar at Fir Park like the one for the Cammy Bell goal. It was a huge moment as it really sealed the aggregate win.
The celebrations at Lionel's goal at Ibrox were something else as well. Strangely I was talking about it to the guys at work yesterday following on from the sentencing of the guy who attacked Grealish. None of us could understand why you would ever invade the pitch but I did admit I was nearly over the wall due to the surge at Ainsworth's goal. The only time I can remember actually being on the pitch was at Forfar!

I’ve said this to anyone I’ve ever spoken to about the play-off, but I genuinely nearly threw up on the Underground on the way through to Ibrox that night, I was that nervous. Couldn’t even entertain the fact that ‘they’ were going to relegate us. I mind reading (possibly even on here) that nobody will ever be able to describe that actual sound of Ainsworth’s goal hitting the net, the fact it was right in front of us and the fact that it was only then that the Rangers fans began to realise that they were fucked because they still thought at 2-0 down at half-time that we’d shit it, as per usual. Probably watch it once a week. 

I’ve seen us take some right tankings there over the years and walking past the Subway Loyal on the way out was a beautiful sight. Swore I’d never go back after that evening. Then I did, I’ll never forgive Stephen McManus for that cup game. 

I mind reading (possibly even on here) that nobody will ever be able to describe that actual sound of Ainsworth’s goal hitting the net, the fact it was right in front of us and the fact that it was only then that the Rangers fans began to realise that they were fucked because they still thought at 2-0 down at half-time that we’d shit it, as per usual. Probably watch it once a week. 

The audio of that goal is the most beautiful thing ever recorded. It’s the fact there are three distinct parts to it with silence in between.

The thud as he takes the shot.

The slap as it hits the back of the net.

The collective “YAAAASSSSSSSSSSS” as that corner exploded.

The only "negative" about the play off at Ibrox was Ainsworth missing that sitter.

4-0 up and Ibrox would have been deserted. I mean fucking empty barring our corner.

I think that would have been the greatest thing ever.

I don't think a Celtic or Rangers fan could understand the feelings that two legged affair gave us.

Edited by Busta Nut

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

4-0 up and Ibrox would have been deserted.

I loved the bit where Ibrox was deserted - when we were all held back for 15 mins. One of the best feelings I've ever had in a football ground (bettered only by the time between the final whistle and the cup being lifted in 91).

18 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Really? I was still shiteing it come the 2nd leg personally, probably despite the reality of situation. I don't think i relaxed at all until that sweet sweet moment of Bell punching it in his own net. 

Aye, I suppose there is always a wee lingering doubt in your head, but after seeing how we performed, and more importantly, our attitude in terms of not rolling over to the ****, in the 1st leg, I was more than comfortable in terms of nerves in the 2nd leg. I was nervous as f**k for the 1st leg, but not really at all for the 2nd.

Rangers were brutal that season, proven by the fact they were in the play-offs in the 1st place, we fucking slaughtered them at their place, we gave them a few hundred tickets for the South Stand...it just all added up to a comfortable 2nd leg, from my point of view.

33 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Can't seem to find it, but there was an amusing video taken from the Govan Stand of the Ainsworth goal that I used to enjoy.

The video of McCall chasing after the ball still makes me smile.

Ask and you shall receive...

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I loved the bit where Ibrox was deserted - when we were all held back for 15 mins. One of the best feelings I've ever had in a football ground (bettered only by the time between the final whistle and the cup being lifted in 91).

As an aside, btw, big ups to the drummer here, absolutely on point.

Told this story about a hundred times, but during the Ibrox game I was living in Dundee on my pal's sofa after some... unpleasantness as I burned my way out of my previous relationship. I was dog sitting a pair of miniature dachshunds as my pal and his partner were out for the evening, and appeared through the door as the third went in and I went fucking berserk, the dugs went fucking mental and they found all three of us running round the living room like absolute crackpots.