Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Agreed.

I guess the problem is, if you look back at even our best strikers in recent years- Moult, Sutton, Higdon etc. They’ve all toiled when asked to play up front on their own. It’s undoubtedly a very tough shift, which is why I’m loathed to join in the Main bashing that sometimes goes on. 

Given he’ll probably want a new centre forward, along with needing 2 new wide men, you wonder if Robinson can actually afford to bring in the quality to make this system work again next season. 

There’s no doubt we’ve lucked out somewhat this year with the emergence of Hastie- him and Turnbull have scored 11 of our 14 goals so far in 2019 between them. Trying to replace him, Ariyibi and bring in an upgrade in Main all in one summer will be arduous task. 

I suppose this is why the "pathway review" the club has been undertaking is actually pretty important as it'll come down to the question of which (if any) of the Reserves are we going to be able to use to supplement the first team and also the positions they play in will presumably inform our approach to recruitment.

Doing a quick search on this thread the first mentions of Turnbull and Hastie came in 2016 when they were 16 and 17. I know there's an argument along the lines of "they should have been in the first team sooner" but really when you look at the impact both are making I'd say that's evidence that the club have got their development spot on. 

Having said that it's almost 3 years between them appearing on the fringes to establishing themselves as first team players and the seasons that they've actually established themselves are in the last years of the extended deals they signed back in December 2016 & January 2017 respectively.

I thought it was interesting that Robinson kind of echoed @thisGRAEME's post from the other day when he was interviewed and was fairly non-committal in saying that there's no guarantee that we'll have the same shape next season. It's something to aim for but it really depends on who we're able to bring in and what suits them. That seems to suggest that this season has been a learning curve for Robinson in so much as going like for like in recruitment can leave you hamstrung so hopefully that will mean that our recruitment won't just be based on the idea of sticking solely to what's working this season.

Presumably if we don't have the quality in the Reserves to replace the players that move on then we're either looking at loans or lucking out in being able to get genuine quality on a free which is definitely a big ask and you're really relying on the right sort of player being available.

Robinson's already hung his hat on Liam Brown when he said he'd pulled a loan for him and instead wanted to try and get him in the first team in the coming months. He's not a wide player, he's a very good CM in the Campbell mould. However that probably has a knock on effect if we're establishing Grimshaw as a right back and Tait as our first choice LB.

I'm genuinely curious how the apparent shift in focus to the Reserves to supplement the squad informs the type of players we're aiming to recruit.

11 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Thought Richard Tait would have stood a decent chance of a place in the Scotland squad.

Model of consistency for us for some time. 

TBF, think his versatility v much plays against him here. If he had been playing right back throughout the past six weeks, you could probably have made a good argument for it, as the alternatives are O'Donnell (:wub:) and whoever Liam Palmer is. 

Tierney and Robertson, not so much.

24 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

TBF, think his versatility v much plays against him here. If he had been playing right back throughout the past six weeks, you could probably have made a good argument for it, as the alternatives are O'Donnell (:wub:) and whoever Liam Palmer is. 

I get that, but he's great and therefore he should be in the squad.

So there...

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'm not necessarily saying that Tait is due a call-up - but the fact that he's playing LB at present due to the peculiarities of our squad doesn't take away from the fact that he's a proven RB and you'd think anyone - even McLeish - that knows anything about our league would know that. I doubt anyone would view him as a LB...

I'm not necessarily saying that Tait is due a call-up - but the fact that he's playing LB at present due to the peculiarities of our squad doesn't take away from the fact that he's a proven RB and you'd think anyone - even McLeish - that knows anything about our league would know that. I doubt anyone would view him as a LB...

Robinson?

2 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Robinson?

Even Robinson views him as a right back playing at left back. He pretty much said as much in one of the interviews when he described left back as "a problem position".

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Even Robinson views him as a right back playing at left back. He pretty much said as much in one of the interviews when he described left back as "a problem position".

Tbf I'm happy for him to play at LB if it means we get more of Grimshaw's marauding runs. 

29 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Tbf I'm happy for him to play at LB if it means we get more of Grimshaw's marauding runs. 

Absolutely...given Tony Straker, Joe Chalmers, ATS, Adam Livingstone, Charlie Dunne, Stephen Hendrie and Elliot Frear have all had stints at either left back or left wing back without looking particularly convincing sticking with someone who seems to be immune to whatever hex Stevie Hammell has put on the left back position seems fair enough.

Tait has, by some distance, been our most consistent option in there. Seeing as we have Grimshaw and Cadden who can play RB and Kyle MacDonald as an option in the Reserves then as long as Tait's OK with playing LB I say just go with it especially as there's areas of the park that are likely to be more pressing to recruit.

Edited by capt_oats

On 3/10/2019 at 11:26, Swello said:

I hope he has a contract clause that forces him to bring his accent game to every post match player interview. 

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

THAT'S YER GRIMMY SIGNED...a year extension

Good lad...

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I love that accent.

It's the voice, Sure his brilliant accent plays a part but the deep voice and that accent is hilariously brilliant.

I was like that with Scott McDonald, both times. I still can't stand him. Not to say I don't recognise what qualities he has on the pitch, but he absolutely boils my piss and always has.

Thankfully I’m not the only one. His second spell he utterly infuriated the life out of me. Just something about him riled me. Even on the pitch with the strops and moans.