Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I would just like to put on record how much I love big Gboly. I genuinely expect him to skin his man every time he gets the ball. Sometimes it's laughable to see 2 or 3 opposition players go to challenge him and then he just appears out the other side with the ball.

I was saying this yesterday and I think that he can't shoot for toffee actually adds to the entertainment factor with him. 

I honestly think his legs move independently from what they are being told to by his brain so that by the time he actually does regain control of them it ends up with the kind of shot that can hit the old zoom sign from 12yds.

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There's yer Alan Burrows confirming we've "opened negotiations" with a "number of different players" about contract extensions btw.

Good lad.

Hopefully grimmy contract has a clause inserted in it that he has to go on at least one marauding run from full back each game. 

The contrast between Gboly`s trickery and Grimshaw just running full pelt towards the goal is brilliant. Hastie and frear fit nicely in between the two. 

Grimshaw reminds me of one of those toy cars you got when you were wee that you pulled it back a few times and then let it go before it flew forward at increasing speed in a straight line crashing through everything in its way but usually missing the area you were actually aiming for. 

I was saying this yesterday and I think that he can't shoot for toffee actually adds to the entertainment factor with him. 
I honestly think his legs move independently from what they are being told to by his brain so that by the time he actually does regain control of them it ends up with the kind of shot that can hit the old zoom sign from 12yds.
The guy is different class. The only player I can compare him to is Lionel Ainsworth - when both are on their game you just know something will happen every time they get the ball.

Gboly's skill along with Lionel's pace and shooting ability would be the perfect footballer.

1 hour ago, weemac said:

Hopefully grimmy contract has a clause inserted in it that he has to go on at least one marauding run from full back each game.

I hope he has a contract clause that forces him to bring his accent game to every post match player interview. 

The guy is different class. The only player I can compare him to is Lionel Ainsworth - when both are on their game you just know something will happen every time they get the ball.

Gboly's skill along with Lionel's pace and shooting ability would be the perfect footballer.

If you mixed Gboly and Lionel you’d have someone worth £150 million and lining up for Barcelona.

Grimshaw is great value as well. He’s like a runaway train once he gets going.

No chance of buying him but would love to have Gboly for another 12 months... in fact keep this team together for another season would be great.

It’s back to the feeling of McCall’s good seasons where you expect us to play well

4 hours ago, well fan for life said:

If you mixed Gboly and Lionel you’d have someone worth £150 million and lining up for Barcelona.

Imagine the experiment went horribly wrong though, and you ended up with Lionel's work rate and Ariyibi's composure in front of goal.

On 10/03/2019 at 09:30, capt_oats said:

There's yer Alan Burrows confirming we've "opened negotiations" with a "number of different players" about contract extensions btw.

Good lad.

Gorrin, Grimshaw and Cadden presumably?

As I said on the match thread, get big Ally Gorrin signed up and it gives Robinson an excellent midfield 3 to build round next season- regardless of what formation he lands on. 

Given our appalling record of signing left backs, you have to wonder if Robinson is just tempted to keep Tait there and let Grimshaw carry on at right back. Which would just leave Aldred to sort out in regards to the current defence, although the rumoured signing of Gallagher suggests to me we’re already planning for life without him.

Unfortunately, it’s difficult to see Ariyibi or Hastie being here next season either, so that part of the pitch will need to be reassessed. Also as much as I’m a fan of Main and what he contributes, 3 league goals in 26 games is a pretty appalling return for your first choice centre forward and you wonder if we could upgrade in the summer.

Although given Danny Johnson’s shaky cameo on Saturday combined with the McCormack news, he’s pretty much the only option we have between now and the end of the season.

Edited by Casagolda

12 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

As I said on the match thread, get big Ally Gorrin signed up and it gives Robinson an excellent midfield 3 to build round next season- regardless of what formation he lands on. 

Given our appalling record of signing left backs, you have to wonder if Robinson is just tempted to keep Tait there and let Grimshaw carry on at right back. Which would just leave Aldred to sort out in regards to the current defence, although the rumoured signing of Gallagher suggests to me we’re already planning for life without him.

Unfortunately, it’s difficult to see Ariyibi or Hastie being here next season either, so that part of the pitch will need to be reassessed. Also as much as I’m a fan of Main and what he contributes, 3 league goals in 26 games is a pretty appalling return for your first choice centre forward and you wonder if we could upgrade in the summer.

Although given Danny Johnson’s shaky cameo on Saturday combined with the McCormack news, he’s pretty much the only option we have between now and the end of the season.

The rise of Gorrin and Grimshaw into 1st choice players since the turn of the year has been one of the most pleasing parts of the season. Grimmy has always shown in flashes what he is capable of but he's now found a berth in the team that suits him and has been consistently decent, which is something that eluded him so far.

Gorrin, I have to admit, was someone who I had written off completely as someone that has been around that long with zero impact is usually a gonner - but he has been absolutely pivotal in our move away from the failed attempt to replicate last season's style of play to something better to watch.  The best thing about Gorrin is the feeling that there is even more to come from him - and given that you would say the same about Campbell and Turnbull, then that is potentially some midfield we have for next season...

Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me, but really looking forward to Saturday.

We're a joy to watch at full flow and Easter Road will hold absolutely no fears for us. To make top six after a dreadful first half of the season, would be up their with the achievements of reaching two cup finals last season.

I would like to see us keep Hastie but i'm thinking that, if he does go, Cadden is a ready made replacement.

This new formation looks perfect for Cadden as it's no secret that he performs much better further up the pitch. The longer he stayed at right wing back (or wherever it was he was meant to be playing) the more it looked as though he would stagnate and become another run of the mill player rather than kick-on like most people expected him to when he first came into the team.

56 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

You would think those would be the ones you'd consider priorities aye.

After the way the summer window went last year I wonder if there would be a hesitance to repeat that and just retain the XI that's doing well at the moment. I could see us actively looking to freshen up the first team. Guys like Main, Frear and McHugh are almost certainly in the first team wage bracket but it's difficult to see an argument for any new deals being on similar terms (if they were to be offered) whereas both Grimshaw and Gorrin would easily be due wage bumps.

On Frear, the emergence of Hastie is yet another set back for him. We change to a system that would actually suit him, he picks up an injury for a week or two and his replacement starts pinging them in left, right and centre. The other thing that's quite striking about Ariyibi, Hastie and Cadden compared to Frear is the difference in physicality. I've no major beef with Frear but given he wasn't actually a Robinson signing the more you look at him the less he looks like a Robinson signing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Scott ended up out on loan next season in a similar approach as we've taken with Hastie, the difference being when he comes back he'd still have another 2 years on his deal. If that does happen then there's a fair chance we'll be looking at an entirely new forward line.

Edited by capt_oats

39 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Ally Gorrin has been a revelation since the turn of the year. He looks like a cultured player on the ball but isn't afraid to cement folk in a 50-50 either. Get him signed up. 

Tait appears to be the only man capable of escaping the effects of whatever hex Stevie Hammell put on the left back position. He's reasonably comfortable on either foot, he's without a doubt the best candidate to captain this squad and his current habit of picking the biggest guy on the opposition team to square up to when it kicks off is absolutely wonderful. I'd give him a 10 year deal tbqh.

Gboly & Hastie have been great but there's no danger we're keeping either of them. Which is a shame because watching Gboly repeatedly tearing Gordon to shreds on Saturday was great. You could almost see him thinking "here we go again" every time Gboly took a touch. 

Hastie is very promising and there's no doubt he has talent. I reckon it's probably a year too soon for him to move as he'd be better served getting 50 games under his belt. It's not just sour grapes saying this, but when you look at Lee Erwin, Ben Hall and Robbie Leitch all leaving before they really got settled at this level it's hardly a list of success stories. Also, if he does go I wouldn't be exactly gutted as he's not exactly been a first team player for very long. Hopefully he does stay on, though. 

I've said it before, and it's now the hill I am prepared to die on, but Johnson is absolutely dreadful and doesn't deserve to even be in the running for a start or ahead of Scott of the bench. His hold up play is non-existent and he looks shattered after about 5 minutes. I'm happy to keep Scott and maybe see him go on loan next year but in the summer we need an entirely new forward line. 

McCormack's been a bust this season but it probably wouldn't be the biggest surprise if he turned up here again for pre-season as Villa don't want him and nobody in their right mind would pay money for him.

Of the wide men, I think there's a greater possibility of Ariyibi being here next season than Hastie or Cadden.  I believe the latter two will be off elsewhere.  I'd be happy to keep Frear on again, as he's a good option to have in the squad, but we'll be needing at least one winger in and good, no.9 target man if we're keeping the 4-3-3.

I'll eat humble pie regarding Grimshaw & Gorrin.  I'd have happily have released both of them in October, but they've been superb since the turn of the year.  Grimshaw going a storming run up the wing after about 8 seconds on Saturday did make me laugh.  Some boy.

Danny Johnson has went the other way.  I was a big fan of him at the start of the season, but his cameo on Saturday was painful to watch.  It was Petravicius levels of shite sub appearance from him.  Can see him being allowed back to the Conference in the summer.