Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

As I said. IF it's announced there is no point in playing him. Even if it's secrectly been agreed and they don't publicly announce it but Robbo, Hastie & Rangers know, don't play him.

How will you know though?

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness is it not just the same sort of leased brief the rest of the first team cut about in?

Yeah could be. I am in paranoid cynic mode though.

It's going to be very interesting how this all plays out, pre-contract agreements rarely remain a secret. There's always one of an agent, the player, one of the two gaffers involved in the deal who ends up letting the cat out of the bag.

Another element is how Hastie reacts to all this focus, will he thrive in the attention or will his head go? 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

That's a summary of the last few pages. Thanks

As I said. IF it's announced there is no point in playing him. Even if it's secrectly been agreed and they don't publicly announce it but Robbo, Hastie & Rangers know, don't play him.

Otherwise I am happy for him to play.

I'm sure Tommy Wright will clear it up for us in his next conference.

It looks like Hastie is off, whether to Ibrox or otherwise but that's irrelevant to us. It's a shame because we're losing a real, young talent and for the player himself, like Turnbull I think he would benefit from staying here for maybe another year or two, playing regularly and developing, but obviously money talks.
Can't help but ask why he wasn't tied up on a longer term deal some time back, though it's hardly a surprise given our dismal business last summer.

In fairness to the club we have given ridiculously long contracts to both Luke Watt and Dom Thomas in the past and couldn’t get rid of the c***s.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

In fairness to the club we have given ridiculously long contracts to both Luke Watt and Dom Thomas in the past and couldn’t get rid of the c***s.

We gave Allan Campbell a four year deal so they can get it right when they put their minds to it I suppose.

Edit: "Contrary to popular belief my favourite system is 433."

Robinson touching on some of the stuff mentioned on here the other day about adapting shape and system to suit the players you've got.

ANOTHER EDIT: Well....

“It’s just all speculation and I’m just focusing on the Hamilton game,” said Hastie. “I’ve had no talks at all."

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/news/17488531.jake-hastie-says-he-hasnt-held-talks-with-rangers-as-stephen-robinson-refuses-to-give-up-on-keeping-him-at-motherwell/

I mean, he would say that but still...

Edited by capt_oats

Is Scott Burns usually accurate with your stories?

He reckons your due £250k if Hastie leaves. Rangers "in the driving seat" but haven't officially offered anything, Crystal Palace, Hull and Derby all tracking him, while Millwall have made an offer. Aberdeen and Portsmouth made contact but hes no interest in either move.

Edited by RandomGuy.

He's generally on the ball, aye. 

Using the Lewis Ferguson to Aberdeen example, given they've played roughly the same amount of first team games (at time of move) then £250k-£300k would seem about right if he moved within Scotland. Think Hastie has been at Motherwell a lot longer than Ferguson was at Accies though. 

35 minutes ago, Desp said:

He's generally on the ball, aye. 

Using the Lewis Ferguson to Aberdeen example, given they've played roughly the same amount of first team games (at time of move) then £250k-£300k would seem about right if he moved within Scotland. Think Hastie has been at Motherwell a lot longer than Ferguson was at Accies though. 

I'm not sure if the appearances he's made out on Development loans come into play or not (32 at Airdrie and 23 at Alloa). If not then even if Hastie plays every game between now and the end of the season he'll still only have made 21 first team appearances.

Ben Hall moved to Brighton for roughly £230k and had 18 appearances but was only at the club for 3 years. Erwin was at the club for 9 years and had 38 appearances (plus 11 on loan to Arbroath) and went to Leeds for £500k.

I think it was Scott Mullen was saying that the club anticipated the compensation to be around £300k+ if he was to move which based on Ferguson's tribunal probably sounds about right given he was at Accies for 5 years (according to Wiki) whereas Hastie's been in Motherwell's academy for 10.

Edited by capt_oats

Pretty much for the whole of Robinson's tenure we've not had a functioning midfield with Alan Campbell basically being expected to run the thing on his own.  This was something I pointed out at the beginning of last season. 

If Campbell was 'tired' earlier in the season it was probably psychological rather than physically.  He's basically been the midfield since he came into the team.

Now we have Gorrin - Campbell - Turnbull and the introduction of two very good players to compliment Campbell has seen us transformed.   That's right kids, if you have a functional midfield you can actually compete in matches and play some football.

There are other factors in our rise of course but mostly it's down to having a competent midfield unit that is mobile, can take a touch and can actually pass the ball.

I would just like to put on record how much I love big Gboly. I genuinely expect him to skin his man every time he gets the ball. Sometimes it's laughable to see 2 or 3 opposition players go to challenge him and then he just appears out the other side with the ball.

Noticed this yesterday from the WS, that's a milli raised, which is good...I guess?

Anyway, it got me wondering how the actual performance since we've become fan owned compares with the position we were expecting to be in given it was originally a 5 year plan we were looking at before Les bailed (though he's still clearly being generous with his "double your money" offer).

I mean presumably we weren't anticipating the club posting record turnover and profits inside 2 years and while this may be a bit of a curio of a season given Accies, Dundee and St Mirren are cut adrift that's us hit 40 points by mid-March and Robinson's hitting his KPIs.