Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Desp said:

I know it's how modern fitba works, but the power that Agents hold over teenage laddies is just fucking grim. 

100% agree. The "short career" cliche is kind of true, but there should be a point in a player's career where they can enjoy their football and develop and Hastie is at that point now. Everyone knows that moving to a bigger club prematurely hinders/ends a players development & career as there are swathes of previously promising players that have done just that and ended up lower down the food chain than they started without making the sort of money that sets them up. Agents know all this - but their imperative always seems to be to push the player into a move anyway...

31 minutes ago, List_of_Jericho said:

I don't think its necessarily a bad move for him. Its not like the 90s or early 00s where you'd sign for them and just sit on the bench. He won't have to be a superstar to break into their first team next season.

He will be sitting behind atleast 3 current wingers, they are also bringing Jones in. Regardless of how highly I think of Hastie he has no chance getting in front of the boys there. Even look at Middleton, the guy is very talented. I would imagine he would be behind him in the pecking order given he has shown in the Europa League that he can play.

He said: "“No decision has been made. Jake’s got a decision to make.

“We do our very best with it. We can’t pull money out of nowhere.

“What we do is try and convince him."

Although I suspect the decision has already been made, absolute scenes if he was to make the decision to stay. 

1 hour ago, List_of_Jericho said:

I don't think its necessarily a bad move for him. Its not like the 90s or early 00s where you'd sign for them and just sit on the bench. He won't have to be a superstar to break into their first team next season.

Hastie is more likely to play SPFL League 3 than he is being a regular in the SPFL Premiership at Rangers - and the League 3 isn't even a thing yet.  

1 hour ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Maybe not, but there will be Candeias, Kent (if he stays on), Jones, Murphy, Grezda & Middleton to get ahead of.  So, at the start of pre-season, he'll be 7th choice (providing they don't bring anymore wide men in).

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I know it's how modern fitba works, but the power that Agents hold over teenage laddies is just fucking grim. 

Just to back this up, Tommy Wright was very critical of "outside influences" trying to manufacture a move for Jason Kerr (that the player didn't want) before he signed his new deal. 

Leeches. 

Far too many hipster "good for him" views on this.

Please be seething when (if) it happens.

If it does there is no reason for him to be involved in the team. We've nothing really to play for. Other players have their future to play for.

6 hours ago, Desp said:

All the best to the lad, but we'll move on and bring the next one through. 

thank u, next etc.

In all seriousness, I suppose that's the whole point of the Academy. One moves on you draft another in. I know there's the question of Frear getting a run but if Robinson doesn't fancy Livingstone as a full back he could do worse than giving him a shot out wide. Craigan used him in that sort of role a few times for the 20s. I've not been to a Reserves game in ages but Semple might even be a shout. We don't really have much to play for so we may as well try and get some more of the Young Team on the park.

26 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Far too many hipster "good for him" views on this.

Please be seething when (if) it happens.

If it does there is no reason for him to be involved in the team. We've nothing really to play for. Other players have their future to play for.

In fairness it's mainly just folk saying it's a move that's unlikely to bring him anything in a footballing sense, though it'll make him rather well off financially. 

In terms of him playing for the team again, I wonder how much Robinson's presser today was geared around taking some of the heat off the situation? While it's not confirmed publicly, then there's no reason for him not to be playing. 

The prize money doesn't jump a great deal between finishing in the top six and finishing seventh or eighth, but it might be significant enough to pay a few extra players.

4th - £1.72m (7.25%)
5th - £1.6m (6.75%)
6th - £1.48m (6.25%)
7th - £1.36m (5.75%)
8th - £1.3m (5.5%)
9th - £1.24m (5.25%)

Not suggesting Hastie's inclusion is pivotal to where we finish, but a bit surprised some are writing off the season with 10 games to be played. 

Edited by AndyRoss

7 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

In fairness it's mainly just folk saying it's a move that's unlikely to bring him anything in a footballing sense, though it'll make him rather well off financially. 

In terms of him playing for the team again, I wonder how much Robinson's presser today was geared around taking some of the heat off the situation? While it's not confirmed publicly, then there's no reason for him not to be playing. 

He should absolutely be playing. There is no point treating him like shite due to our mismanagement.

Our unwillingness to offer him a contract last summer then punt him out on loan when we had no depth at his position were two terrible decisions from the club. If he goes to Rangers or anywhere else for the development fee then we deal with it.

We still have a chance at top 6 if we can continue our good form. And we need to be putting our best side on the park to do it.

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

thank u, next etc.

In all seriousness, I suppose that's the whole point of the Academy. One moves on you draft another in. I know there's the question of Frear getting a run but if Robinson doesn't fancy Livingstone as a full back he could do worse than giving him a shot out wide. Craigan used him in that sort of role a few times for the 20s. I've not been to a Reserves game in ages but Semple might even be a shout. We don't really have much to play for so we may as well try and get some more of the Young Team on the park.

WRECKING BALL WINGERS YES!

It looks like Hastie is off, whether to Ibrox or otherwise but that's irrelevant to us. It's a shame because we're losing a real, young talent and for the player himself, like Turnbull I think he would benefit from staying here for maybe another year or two, playing regularly and developing, but obviously money talks.

Can't help but ask why he wasn't tied up on a longer term deal some time back, though it's hardly a surprise given our dismal business last summer.

40 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

That's a summary of the last few pages. Thanks

As I said. IF it's announced there is no point in playing him. Even if it's secrectly been agreed and they don't publicly announce it but Robbo, Hastie & Rangers know, don't play him.

Otherwise I am happy for him to play.