Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Desp said:

If Hastie were to leave at the end of his contract, would him being an u21 internationalist bump up the level of compensation we'd get for him?

Looking at @capt_oats for an answer here...

It should do. I've no idea how much of an impact it has but SPFL rules are here (the details on compensation and development compensation are pages 55 - 61) and some of the criteria if it goes to tribunal are as follows:

F22 The criteria are:-

F22.1 the age of the Player;
F22.2 the amount of any transfer fee or Compensation paid by the Club losing the player’s Scottish FA Registration when acquiring the Scottish FA Registration of the Player;
F22.3 the length of time during which the Club losing the player’s Scottish FA Registration held the Scottish FA Registration of the Player;
F22.4 the terms of the new contract offered to the Player by each of the Clubs;
F22.5 the Player’s playing record in club and international team appearances; and,
F22.6 substantiated interest shown by other clubs in acquiring the services of the Player.

Hastie's been at the club since 2009.

At the moment he has 11 appearances for Motherwell but also 23 for Alloa and 32 for Airdrie from his development loans, which you'd think would factor in.

To use the Lewis Ferguson comparison: He went from Accies to Aberdeen for £238k after 14 appearances (no loans as far as I can see). I've no idea how long he'd actually been part of Accies youth system either. I'm guessing it wasn't 10 years.

Going by Scott Mullen's tweet on 17th Feb we'd be due £300k+ for Hastie as it stands and that was before any u21 international call up.

Edited by capt_oats

Guest Pampered Adolescent
1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Sonny Blu Lo Everton.

What a fucking disaster of a name.

Dolly Menga, embdy? For a male footballer...

23 hours ago, Swello said:

I think the fact that Scott is in ahead of Sammon is purely with an eye to the future, as I think despite the fact that he's not worked out for us, Sammon is a more accomplished player than Scott at this point. This is precisely what Robinson should be doing and shows that the outside chance of a Top 6 place is not the main thing for us.

He's playing ahead of Johnson simply as Johnson is not in the least suited to be being a lone striker as the County game demonstrated conclusively.

Whoever said that the centre forwards are the area needing the biggest overhaul in the summer is 100% correct - we need to get that bit right and our requirements have completely changed assuming we start next season using the same shape as now.

100%. It's probably worth saying that Bowman would have been largely useless in this shape too given he couldn't trap a bag of cement and his 2nd touch was a tackle. Not to mention the whole elbows thing. He needed someone playing off him and the ball would rarely stick with him.

If Nadir was still around though...

The skillsets of what we needed from a #9 at the start of the season and what we need now are very different. Main gives enough graft to get by but he's looked out of sorts all season, the County game ruled Johnson out of that role completely so it'll be interesting to see how the profile changes in terms of the strikers we're targeting going forward.

Agree with the Sammon point too. Going back to the January window he was being linked with the likes of Thistle, Falkirk, St Mirren and Bradford. All of those teams are in relegation scraps. I honestly can't really blame him if he thought "f**k that" and decided to stick around with us and see out the season on the bench in our mid-table comfort zone.

I'd imagine the trade off there would be that there would have been a discussion intimating that he's not going to be here next season and Scott would be getting games ahead of him to see how he gets on at this level. If nothing else Sammon seems a thoroughly decent pro so I can't imagine he'd take the huff and be difficult in those sort of circumstances.

Edited by capt_oats

23 hours ago, Swello said:

Whoever said that the centre forwards are the area needing the biggest overhaul in the summer is 100% correct - we need to get that bit right and our requirements have completely changed assuming we start next season using the same shape as now.

Depends, really. Given that Hastie has yet to sign, Cadden is out of contract, McKinstry looks to be away, Frear is out of contract and Ariyibi is on loan; we aren't necessarily sticking with our shape or our style, given that to do what we're doing again, we'll need potentially 3/4 wide players and a striker.

10 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Depends, really. Given that Hastie has yet to sign, Cadden is out of contract, McKinstry looks to be away, Frear is out of contract and Ariyibi is on loan; we aren't necessarily sticking with our shape or our style, given that to do what we're doing again, we'll need potentially 3/4 wide players and a striker.

It's that part of it that gives me a bit of a scare.
losing all them and going narrow again.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

It's that part of it that gives me a bit of a scare.
losing all them and going narrow again.

It would make sense, you'd think, to not have a recruitment strategy based around one system...right?

Again, I know I've said this before, but it's also the reason I'm quite happy to have Robinson at Fir Park. Making mistakes, learning and rectifying them is ideal. I wouldn't imagine he'd be picking up guys as specific as he did this summer; Mbulu to replace Kipre, ATS as wing-back, Johnson as a goal-scorer next to a target man. 

FWIW, as well, I don't think a return to 3-5-2, with Cadden and Tait as wingbacks, Gorrin, Campbell and Turnbull in midfield, with Hastie and Main up top would be a disaster for us either. The problems arise when we try and figure out a third centre-half beside Dunne and Aldred. I'd say that the biggest problem of that system was that we didn't have bodies in midfield as capable on the ball as Turnbull and ARG now are. Those two instead of Rose and McHugh have made an incredible difference, and their ability, coupled with Dunne's pace would allow us to play higher up the park, I think.

Again, that's heavily predicated on us having all those players, which we don't, and probably wont in six months time. And that we'd want to do it, which we probably don't.

Thanks for attending my TEDtalk on stuff that doesn't matter.

5 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

i'm a huge fan of Cadden, but I don't think I would be dropping Grimshaw to shoehorn him back into the side. dare say Grimshaw offers us more in that position that cadden did?

I almost think Cadden's injury helped us find this new shape. If you think just before he got injured we had Grimshaw & Cadden on the right which was working really well as it allowed him to run from deep as he's just an all out athlete. 

I suppose it depends on what the intention for next year is but I don't really know where we would currently fit Cadden or Tanner. 

52 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I almost think Cadden's injury helped us find this new shape. If you think just before he got injured we had Grimshaw & Cadden on the right which was working really well as it allowed him to run from deep as he's just an all out athlete. 

I suppose it depends on what the intention for next year is but I don't really know where we would currently fit Cadden or Tanner. 

Equally depends what happens with Hastie as you'd think it'd be either/or between Cadden and Hastie for the wide right role ATM. If both stick around then it'd probably be Hastie on the left and Cadden on the right. Though the difference that Ariyibi has made seems to have been weirdly low key given he's been turning full backs inside out and with the best will in the world, that's never Cadden's game.

In a general sense, it's pretty dry but there's the question of succession planning. Looking at the players currently in the Reserves pool then there's the question of how ready they are to step up. If we're going down the route of using the Academy to supplement the first team then rather than scouring the lower & non-leagues in England the squad players are right on our doorstep.

You'd like to think we'll have a better idea of what we need in terms of recruitment if we are having to bring players in.

Robinson's already said he cancelled a loan for Liam Brown as he wanted to try and get him into the first team and Broque Watson's out at East Fife and Maguire's obviously at QoS. The Semple hype seems to have quietened down a bit but then again, he's still only 17.

I guess we're down a body in the media/comms department with Lewis Irons moving to the SFA but it'd actually be interesting to hear what the upshot of the pathway review for 18-21 was. Especially in light of the 7 call ups.

Edited by capt_oats