Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

There's something about the way that Ariyibi just slammed it in that I just had so much time for. It was even funnier than Scott's involvement.

I enjoyed that only Ajer went to celebrate with him.

14/10/1996 for the game that Marshall was sent off for hauling down McCulloch.

I can't see any reference to them forgetting  (whit they like?) to bring anyone off when Stewart Kerr came on. This game came around the first time McLeish tried to leave for Hibs, but Jim Duffy got the job instead. I'm sure I was at this game, but can't remember it particularly well it must be said. 

2 hours ago, MJC said:

My memory may be playing tricks here, but there was a game at Celtic Park over 20 years ago when Gordon Marshall, playing for them, was sent off for pulling Lee McCulloch down outside the box. They brought on a sub goalkeeper but I'm sure that they actually *forgot* to withdraw an outfield player for a good five minutes afterwards. They went on to win the game 1-0 with a last minute winner but I'm sure I can remember something like that happening and no surprise, very little fuss was made of it.

Was that not a league cup game where they tried to bring Blinker on while the player was trudging off?

That was a couple of months before we beat them 2-0 at Parkhead with Mickey Weir walking the ball into the net to seal it on 90 mins. 

I see your point. I've seen it get to the stage where the team putting the ball out in a "sportsmanlike" manner deliberately puts it out as close to the opposition's goal-line as possible, forcing them to take their "free throw" in a position that immediately puts them on the defensive, when the ball was actually in play on the half way line.
And how sportsmanlike would they have been if Christie was sitting down on the pitch when they were in full flow breaking forward. Would they have put it out, would they f**k.

Tbh I'd be happy if this bullshit just completely died out. They played on and only put the ball out when the sub was ready, voluntarily ceding possession to bring a player on. 
If it's a head knock/serious injury and the referee brings the game to a halt then fine, stop the game and give the ball back after. Anything else and I'd be playing on. 

I was talking to the father in law about this last night and to be fair to him, he ‘supports’ Celtic, he was pissing himself at the commentary about it.

His point being would you let you opponent score a goal if your player handled the ball into the net or dived to win a penalty? Of course not so don’t bang on about sportsmanship as it’s nonsense.

I do believe that we should have given the ball back but this has to stop. Just like the ref stopping the game for all injuries has been changed to he will only stop the game for head knocks and serious injuries. Stop giving the ball back when the team deliberately puts the ball out and let the ref manage it.

My memory may be playing tricks here, but there was a game at Celtic Park over 20 years ago when Gordon Marshall, playing for them, was sent off for pulling Lee McCulloch down outside the box. They brought on a sub goalkeeper but I'm sure that they actually *forgot* to withdraw an outfield player for a good five minutes afterwards. They went on to win the game 1-0 with a last minute winner but I'm sure I can remember something like that happening and no surprise, very little fuss was made of it.

Can’t remember that one but i do remember when don goodman got a bad head knock and the physio came running onto the park while Celtic played on and scored while he was being treated.

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

They played on and only put the ball out when the sub was ready, voluntarily ceding possession to bring a player on. 

Exactly this, for me, as well. Celtic had the ball in possession, he'd clearly had his hamstring go, played on until we cleared it, got the ball back, then played it out. Additionally, then faffed about for an age getting the sub on. 

3 hours ago, Swello said:

I think in this case, everything was magnified by Brendan's snide, patronising way of dealing with things and the fact that OF managers have a Bully Pulpit in the media that allows them to push their point of view, secure in the knowledge that there'll be a succession of tame hacks and ex-player arse lickers of the Tom Boyd mould to mindlessly parrot the party line. It's funny to look at the Motherwell page on the Record or Sun websites to see the number of articles this goal generated - and no doubt still would be if Brendan hadn't given the tanning shops and teeth whitening clinics of Leicestershire his business.

Quite. Brendan 'not talking about other team's players', then battering on about Bowman all week after a game that they didn't even play in was absolute rubbish.

12 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Exactly this, for me, as well. Celtic had the ball in possession, he'd clearly had his hamstring go, played on until we cleared it, got the ball back, then played it out. Additionally, then faffed about for an age getting the sub on. 

Quite. Brendan 'not talking about other team's players', then battering on about Bowman all week after a game that they didn't even play in was absolute rubbish.

I particularly enjoyed when he started criticising the tactics Killie were using when they dropped points. Bet he was one of the c***s that managed both teams in Football Manager to throw results. 

You always have to wonder to what extent Celtic and Sevco managers in their public statements are simply appealing to the prejudices and inferiority complexes of their supporters and to what extent they are in fact simply bellends speaking their own minds. 

7 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I heard them saying it on the radio and laughed out loud at it. "Give us a goal!:bairn:bairn" Aye nae bother. 2 seconds we'll just lie down. 

Respect to Ariyibi btw. Not only can he nutmeg a mermaid but he also appears to be made of Teflon as nothing has stuck. Great times tbh. 

Aye. f**k knows how Scott is public enemy no.1 but Ariyibi running full pelt to keep up with him, then lashing it into the net has gone totally unnoticed :lol:

15 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye. f**k knows how Scott is public enemy no.1 but Ariyibi running full pelt to keep up with him, then lashing it into the net has gone totally unnoticed :lol:

It's the fact, as @thisGRAEME mentions, he saunters over to celebrate in front of the GB that makes it an A+ effort for me.

Absolutely zero fucks given.

Edited by capt_oats

13 hours ago, capt_oats said:

They're fairly rinsing the James Scott thing...(again, funny)

D0gnLxMXgAA1hbL?format=jpg&name=large

That is fucking great - the club have handled a potentially difficult week on the PR front brilliantly. 

The only person who's not happy is Tam Aldred, who I'm sure would otherwise have been on there in place of the bold Jamsie :) 

Sounds like you've pissed off Livingston now too.

Gary Holt saying St Johnstone approached him and the club before talking to Gallagher, while he had no idea about Motherwell making a move until he was asked by a journalist about it.