Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

post was pulled up for inappropriate language

I meant the word to mean "to arrest progress" (which the daily record does on a daily basis) :angel

1 hour ago, AndyRoss said:

I might be taking an overly positive approach to this, but I think Turnbull signing a new deal will encourage the other young players to follow.

I think this is true - but by giving Turball a good deal, a precedent has been set that other young player's agents will be all over - hence Jackson's article.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I think this is true - but by giving Turball a good deal, a precedent has been set that other young player's agents will be all over - hence Jackson's article.

The interesting part for me is that Robinson's seemed far more relaxed about the Hastie, Scott and Maguire deals than he was the Turnbull one.

It may have been a turn of phrase but his line from the interview the other week was:

"People say we didn't do much business in the transfer window but what we were able to do is offer contracts to the younger boys: your James Scotts, your Barry Maguires and your Jake Hasties and get them secured up so we had to let one go for that so I think that's a big plus for me."

Clearly that doesn't mean much if the ink isn't on the paper and you go and ping one in off the bar from 20 odd yards but the implication seemed to be that everyone was happy with the deals on offer in principle whereas in Turnbull's case it always seemed that there was a stumbling block that we were trying to work around.

Edit: unrelated but also #youngMotherwell...McKinstry and McAlear.

Edited by capt_oats

You can tell youth was always Robinson's master plan by not having the two best youth players under contract.  :lol:

If we'd fluked a win or two more up to October with a last minute pump into the box these guys would probably be doing a Ross McLean.

Ironic then that Steve Robinson's own shiteness put him in a position where he had to throw dice he didn't really want to throw and that have subsequently saved his job.

Still he's had his road to Damascus moment, although it took him so long he could probably have walked to Beijing.

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Always feel a wee bit nostalgic whenever I hear about Darren Smith scoring for Stirling Albion or someone.

season-2007-2008-motherwell-darren-smith

Mainly because he's probably the only player to score last minute winners against Celtic whilst also having the most 2008 indie band haircut ever.

Big 'DairyLea' as I affectionately knew him as back in the day. His goal against Aberdeen to help seal 3rd place and our first European qualification for over a decade was a special moment.

Edited by MJC

On the Gallagher thing, I know we've used cross-border loopholes and what not for the likes of Heneghan and Porter but who was the last pre-contract we signed from another Scottish team?

I know we usually "play our cards close to our chest" and other clichés and there's probably someone really obvious I'm forgetting but it doesn't seem to be something we've done much of recruitment-wise.

Edited by capt_oats

Gallagher would be a cracking signing. Disappointed he's a headcase off the pitch as he could have netted us a decent fee and went further with his career than the likes of us, you lot and Livi by the age of 27.

On 09/02/2019 at 16:30, Ya Bezzer! said:

You can tell youth was always Robinson's master plan by not having the two best youth players under contract.  :lol:

If we'd fluked a win or two more up to October with a last minute pump into the box these guys would probably be doing a Ross McLean.

Ironic then that Steve Robinson's own shiteness put him in a position where he had to throw dice he didn't really want to throw and that have subsequently saved his job.

Still he's had his road to Damascus moment, although it took him so long he could probably have walked to Beijing.

Bit harsh.

Personally, I didn’t think Robinson had it in him to turn things around the way he has done post Ross County. The recent upturn in performances, results and style of play should be to his credit, he’s proving many people including myself wrong. I find it quite reassuring actually that we have a manger that’s able to change and adapt his style of play, you won’t get many of them at our level.

If I had one fault, it’d be that what he’s doing now is what he should have done in the summer. In terms of adding pace, creativity(Turnbull) and trying to develop our style of play a bit more. I’d agree he got that wrong, fair play to him though at least he identified it and had a plan to rectify it.

Of course, it’s only been four games and it’s been all bottom six opposition so I’m not get carried away just yet. Much tougher tests to come and all that. It’ll be interesting to see how we fair in the coming weeks, with all the top six still to play. 

Still, a few weeks ago I thought our season was all but over and it was going to be a long, hard slog watching us grind the odd win to keep our heads above water. Where as now, I’m positively buzzing to see some more of young Motherwell this weekend. 

On 2/9/2019 at 17:47, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Always feel a wee bit nostalgic whenever I hear about Darren Smith scoring for Stirling Albion or someone.

Mainly because he's probably the only player to score last minute winners against Celtic whilst also having the most 2008 indie band haircut ever.

Same. I went to school with Darren and a nicer and more pleasant person you'd be lucky to come across, tbh. Bumped into him at the start of this season, and he was exactly the same kid as he was at age 10. 

On 10/02/2019 at 11:12, capt_oats said:

On the Gallagher thing, I know we've used cross-border loopholes and what not for the likes of Heneghan and Porter but who was the last pre-contract we signed from another Scottish team?

I know we usually "play our cards close to our chest" and other clichés and there's probably someone really obvious I'm forgetting but it doesn't seem to be something we've done much of recruitment-wise.

I think it would've been Simon Mensing. Roaring success that one!

Scratch that - as soon as I typed it I remembered Michael Fraser. Both cases signed the pre-contract then never played under the managers who signed them.

Edited by crazylegsjoe