Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Just read this interview with Trevor Carson: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47098220

File DVT under "absolutely fucking terrifying".

Certainly puts things in perspective doesn't it? Absolutely frightening to hear that and when it happens to a guy who is only 30 years old and a professional footballer who would be superfit and looks after himself health-wise then it makes life seem fragile. Best of luck to Trevor Carson in his recovery.

Oh! There's yer Robbo doing the pre-match interview. Seems like we've used either Bowman, ATS or Bigi's money to "secure" Maguire, Scott and Hastie. Fucking deal m8.

"People say we didn't do much business in the transfer window but what we were able to do is offer contracts to the younger boys: your James Scotts, your Barry Maguires and your Jake Hasties and get them secured up so we had to let one go for that so I think that's a big plus for me."

Edit: given we've not announced this I take it they've not officially signed up. Either way it's a pretty different tone compared to when he was being asked about Turnbull.

Edited by capt_oats

14 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Oh! There's yer Robbo doing the pre-match interview. Seems like we've used either Bowman, ATS or Bigi's money to "secure" Maguire, Scott and Hastie. Fucking deal m8.

Edit: given we've not announced this I take it they've not officially signed up. Either way it's a pretty different tone compared to when he was being asked about Turnbull.

If there's not a 'young team' video announcement in the next week it's a missed opportunity IMO.

The SPFL twitter page has been showing lots of our 2012/13 best goals today for some reason. What a team [emoji7]

Cracking team. Some of the goals we scored that season were sublime. An enjoyable wee 5 mins looking through that thread.

Robinson confirming in his post-match interview that moving on Bigi has allowed us to offer the contracts to Hastie, Scott, Maguire and tie down Turnbull.

Some fucking deal that tbqhwy (assuming the other 3 from the Young Team sign up).

Edited by capt_oats

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Robinson confirming in his post-match interview that moving on Bigi has allowed us to offer the contracts to Hastie, Scott, Maguire and tie down Turnbull.

Some fucking deal that tbqhwy (assuming the other 3 from the Young Team sign up).

It's no wonder Bigi couldn't track folk running off him. He was probably weighed down by his wallet. 

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

It's no wonder Bigi couldn't track folk running off him. He was probably weighed down by his wallet. 

I guess we all assumed that Bigi was one of the bigger earners - but if Robinson's statement isn't an exaggeration, then it shows what a decent transfer window we had even if we didn't sign many players....

Now that Bigi has gone, Sammon is probably offering us the least value for money.. 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I guess we all assumed that Bigi was one of the bigger earners - but if Robinson's statement isn't an exaggeration, then it shows what a decent transfer window we had even if we didn't sign many players....

Now that Bigi has gone, Sammon is probably offering us the least value for money.. 

That's the one caveat I'd have tbh. He's maybe not on McGhee levels but I've noticed Robinson's developed a tendency to lean towards hyperbole recently.

Either way it's not a massive leap to make to think that getting Bigi off the books could add a decent amount on to Hastie, Scott and Maguire's current basic and at least contribute to whatever bump Turnbull got. Which would clearly be good value.

re: Sammon, absolutely nothing against the big man. We took him on a season loan and it's one of those that we really just need to take on the chin and hope Robinson learns from it.

Seeing he's not been in a squad since the Hibs game and the fact that Scott seems to have taken his place (which makes sense as Sammon's not our player and Scott is) I wonder if that's a conversation we've had ie: if he sticks around then Scott will be taking his place on the bench with a view to the future and Sammon will really only be cover for injuries/suspensions.

It seems clear we were looking for someone to take over his loan but if those who were interested were the likes of St. Mirren, Falkirk and Thistle then I can totally get why he'd not fancy the hassle of moving to a relegation scrap if his other option is seeing out the season with us. He'll be getting paid his Hearts wage in either circumstance and one scenario is clearly less stressful than the other.

Edit to add:

Declan Gallagher lads...so which of Aldred, Dunne and Hartley will be on their way? (Acknowledging Aldred's only here on loan)

Edited by capt_oats

57 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's the one caveat I'd have tbh. He's maybe not on McGhee levels but I've noticed Robinson's developed a tendency to lean towards hyperbole recently.

Either way it's not a massive leap to make to think that getting Bigi off the books could add a decent amount on to Hastie, Scott and Maguire's current basic and at least contribute to whatever bump Turnbull got. Which would clearly be good value.

re: Sammon, absolutely nothing against the big man. We took him on a season loan and it's one of those that we really just need to take on the chin and hope Robinson learns from it.

Seeing he's not been in a squad since the Hibs game and the fact that Scott seems to have taken his place (which makes sense as Sammon's not our player and Scott is) I wonder if that's a conversation we've had ie: if he sticks around then Scott will be taking his place on the bench with a view to the future and Sammon will really only be cover for injuries/suspensions.

It seems clear we were looking for someone to take over his loan but if those who were interested were the likes of St. Mirren, Falkirk and Thistle then I can totally get why he'd not fancy the hassle of moving to a relegation scrap if his other option is seeing out the season with us. He'll be getting paid his Hearts wage in either circumstance and one scenario is clearly less stressful than the other.

Edit to add:

Declan Gallagher lads...so which of Aldred, Dunne and Hartley will be on their way? (Acknowledging Aldred's only here on loan)

Isn't Gallagher that wee scumbag who did jail time for cracking someone's head open with a baseball bat?