Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Great piece of business. 

If the rumours are to be believed that it was his agent trying to push him and orchestrate a move, then more power to the lad for sticking to his guns and seeing the bigger picture. 

He's a 'Well fan and obviously enjoying his time here. Another year with us applying himself the way he has and getting games under his belt will see his stock skyrocket, and the big move will come, to the benefit of all concerned. He will get the big bucks and we should be recompensed handsomely for his services. 

One of the few bright points of this season has been watching the boy emerge, and his continued growth in the coming months should be interesting and enjoyable. 

Well played to all parties. 

Fantastic news and a great bit of business for all concerned. For us as a club to tie down our young star player it's great but I think it'll benefit David Turnbull and his own development in the long run that he stays here and continues his growth.

If we handle him properly and don't burn him out then we can build the team around him over the next couple of years. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

There it is...extended until 2021.

David-Turnbull-1_790x500_acf_cropped.jpg

#baller

Combine this with Kerr signing a new deal with us, and it's maybe the beginning of young Scots realising that playing regularly up here is far better for their development than rotting at some English non-entity.

Was particularly pessimistic about Turnball signing on - so whatever has changed in the last couple of weeks is brilliant. I don't necessarily think playing U-23 or academy football in England is particularly satisfying after being a first team player (as opposed to going to that setup straight from U20's/Reserves) - and the risk of getting "lost" is clearly higher than it would be at a club like ours. 

In a season and a half - if he develops the way we expect - he'll be in a position to get a decent gig down south (and make us a right few quid)

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Was particularly pessimistic about Turnball signing on - so whatever has changed in the last couple of weeks is brilliant. I don't necessarily think playing U-23 or academy football in England is particularly satisfying after being a first team player (as opposed to going to that setup straight from U20's/Reserves) - and the risk of getting "lost" is clearly higher than it would be at a club like ours. 

In a season and a half - if he develops the way we expect - he'll be in a position to get a decent gig down south (and make us a right few quid)

You should have seen my reaction when i first saw the BBC new article about the news:

"Motherwell's David Turnbull turns down ..."

WTH!!!!

"...'more lucrative club' to sign new deal"

That gave me a fright.

Delightful stuff.

Was genuinely resigned to him leaving in the summer this time last week, having him and Campbell signed up till 2021 is tremendous business by the club. With our current league position we should hopefully see a few more get their chance before the seasons out, with left back and striker in particular being problem positions for us you'd certainly hope Livingstone and Scott would feature at some point. 

With that in mind, I wonder if the club/Robinson have shelved plans to do any more business this window. Certainly incoming anyway, as that 'Reserves' team showed yesterday we're carrying some size of squad at the minute. Could probably do with shifting a few on, even if we don't bring anyone else in.

Although apart from a passing link to Rossiter, there's been a surprising lack of chat either in or out in the last few weeks.

Edited by Casagolda

I don’t think we’ll see any more incomings and I’m fine with that. Got a feeling there could still be one or two on the way out though.

We’re safe from relegation and not going to make top 6 so we have a bit of breathing space to test out the likes of James Scott and Adam Livingstone without too much pressure.

As managers always say, players look for more money in January so I’d be content to save our budget and go with what we’ve got. Robbo can then use his squad over the next 3 months and formulate what he wants to do next summer in terms of re-signings, identifying targets and strengthening for next season.

It may not happen, but it’s not outwith the realms of possibility that next season we could have Maguire, Livingston, Campbell, Cadden, Turnbull, Hastie and Scott all in the squad (even on the pitch?) at the same time which is a real justification for the work going on in the academy.

29 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Delightful stuff.

Was genuinely resigned to him leaving in the summer this time last week, having him and Campbell signed up till 2021 is tremendous business by the club. With our current league position we should hopefully see a few more get their chance before the seasons out, with left back and striker in particular being problem positions for us you'd certainly hope Livingstone and Scott would feature at some point. 

With that in mind, I wonder if the club/Robinson have shelved plans to do any more business this window? Certainly incoming anyway, as that 'Reserves' team showed yesterday we're carrying some size of squad at the minute. Could probably do with shifting a few on, even if we don't bring anyone else in. Although apart from a passing link to Rossiter, there's been a surprising lack of chat either in or out in the last few weeks.

Was thinking about this earlier. I listed those OOC earlier in the thread but here's a reminder of who's out of contract:

• Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
  • Christian Mbulu
  • Carl McHugh
  • Chris Cadden (injured)
  • Elliot Frear
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Gael Bigirimana
  • Alex Rodriguez Gorrin
  • Craig Tanner (injured)
  • Curtis Main
  • George Newell

Of those I'm pretty sure Frear is the only one we paid a fee for so in that respect we're neither up nor down if they move on at the end of the season. 

Even if the players who haven't been getting minutes move on now (ie: ATS, Newell and of course Sammon) it begs the question whether there's much point in investing in new bodies unless it's someone we'd genuinely want long term and are we likely to get that player in the January window? I know folk have issues with loan signings but in this case if we do end up moving a few out and we end up looking to bring in some quality then IMO we'd 100% be better looking at loans.

FWIW: I'd say that there's probably an argument that the best way to develop the younger players is to get them on the park with better quality players and given our budget loans are probably going to give us better access to that quality. It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up up going down that route more in the future rather than focusing as heavily on frees and non-league.

Also, given we're in the slightly unusual position of being virtually safe by February (and not challenging for Europe like the McCall days) presumably we should be able to start planning for next season a lot earlier in terms of extensions and the like.

One thing I did wonder was whether or not we'd see more of the u20s go out on loan rather than keeping them around to get 20 mins here and there. Given the apparent success of Hastie at Alloa and the current size of the squad that may be a better direction with a view to next season if we're aiming on getting them first team ready.

It seems a bit weird that Maguire's the only one we've loaned out this window when both Craigan (while he was at the club) and Robinson have been talking up the benefit of getting players that age out and playing 90 mins week in, week out. Who knows maybe we were holding off until we got Craigan's replacement in but with 2 days to go I'd have thought we may have seen a bit more movement.

Having said all that a patter signing would be bloody brilliant so if we could go baws oot and #announceanichibe then that would be just fine too.

4 minutes ago, dezz said:

It may not happen, but it’s not without the realms of possibility that next season we could have Maguire, Livingston, Campbell, Cadden, Turnbull, Hastie and Scott all in the squad (even on the pitch?) at the same time which is a real justification for the work going on in the academy.

^^^^^ Absolutely this.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Was thinking about this earlier. I listed those OOC earlier in the thread but here's a reminder of who's out of contract:

• Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
  • Christian Mbulu
  • Carl McHugh
  • Chris Cadden (injured)
  • Elliot Frear
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Gael Bigirimana
  • Alex Rodriguez Gorrin
  • Craig Tanner (injured)
  • Curtis Main
  • George Newell

Of those I'm pretty sure Frear is the only one we paid a fee for so in that respect we're neither up nor down if they move on at the end of the season. 

Even if the players who haven't been getting minutes move on now (ie: ATS, Newell and of course Sammon) it begs the question whether there's much point in investing in new bodies unless it's someone we'd genuinely want long term and are we likely to get that player in the January window? I know folk have issues with loan signings but in this case if we do end up moving a few out and we end up looking to bring in some quality then IMO we'd 100% be better looking at loans.

FWIW: I'd say that there's probably an argument that the best way to develop the younger players is to get them on the park with better quality players and given our budget loans are probably going to give us better access to that quality. It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up up going down that route more in the future rather than focusing as heavily on frees and non-league.

Also, given we're in the slightly unusual position of being virtually safe by February (and not challenging for Europe like the McCall days) presumably we should be able to start planning for next season a lot earlier in terms of extensions and the like.

One thing I did wonder was whether or not we'd see more of the u20s go out on loan rather than keeping them around to get 20 mins here and there. Given the apparent success of Hastie at Alloa and the current size of the squad that may be a better direction with a view to next season if we're aiming on getting them first team ready.

It seems a bit weird that Maguire's the only one we've loaned out this window when both Craigan (while he was at the club) and Robinson have been talking up the benefit of getting players that age out and playing 90 mins week in, week out. Who knows maybe we were holding off until we got Craigan's replacement in but with 2 days to go I'd have thought we may have seen a bit more movement.

Having said all that a patter signing would be bloody brilliant so if we could go baws oot and #announceanichibe then that would be just fine too.

^^^^^ Absolutely this.

I'm only typing this post to give you an idea as to how an opposition fan thinks - As I'm quite confident that no Motherwell player would join Dundee on a PCA in our respective positions, but of the players you have OOC I would have McHugh, Cadden, Tanner and Bigirmana in an instant. I must admit, even after Saturday, I didn't notice Gorrin much. And I wouldn't have any of the others ahead of what we have even taking into consideration the position Dundee are in. Main is living off a bit of a reputation I feel, and I'm not sure Grimshaw is a million times better than Kerr.

Obviously with Motherwell expecting to do better than just survive the play-offs next season, I thought it was worth play-off/ relegation candidate number one giving an opinion. Sorry to intrude, just an outsiders perspective!

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm only typing this post to give you an idea as to how an opposition fan thinks - As I'm quite confident that no Motherwell player would join Dundee on a PCA in our respective positions, but of the players you have OOC I would have McHugh, Cadden, Tanner and Bigirmana in an instant. I must admit, even after Saturday, I didn't notice Gorrin much. And I wouldn't have any of the others ahead of what we have even taking into consideration the position Dundee are in. Main is living off a bit of a reputation I feel, and I'm not sure Grimshaw is a million times better than Kerr.

Obviously with Motherwell expecting to do better than just survive the play-offs next season, I thought it was worth play-off/ relegation candidate number one giving an opinion. Sorry to intrude, just an outsiders perspective!

Tanner would score in every home game, never failed to score at Dens