Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

He also mentioned that Livingstone isn't developing as quickly as they had hoped he would. Must not be great for the lad now that's a second time he's been criticised (not sure if that's too strong a word) publicly by the manager.

Aye. It's a bit of a rock and a hard place for Robinson in that respect I suppose. If he doesn't play him he's going to get the "why aren't you playing Adam Livingstone" chat, then again when he was thrown on against Celtic he was subbed off with cramp after an hour (acknowledging that yes, he had played 45 mins for the reserves on the Monday). There's a pretty fine line between what's actually public criticism and simply fair comment. I like Livingstone but if he's not developing quickly enough then...he's not developing quickly enough.

It's that whole Luke Watt thing really. Best right back we never played.

You look at Jake Hastie, that was him chucked on against County in an overall shiter of a team performance and gets a goal. Granted it's very different to being chucked on at left back against Celtic but if you're part of this u20s group and the manager gives you a chance you really need to make some sort of an impact.

Edited by capt_oats

14 hours ago, capt_oats said:

See, I may be misremembering but I thought Killie fans were of the opinion that McCulloch was a decent enough coach who just didn't really work out as first team manager.

The impression I get with the whole pathway thing up to the u20s/Reserves is that we're keen for whoever we appoint to be someone who has come through the Academy (or YTS as it was) or at the very least "knows" the club. If that's the case (and I may well be wrong) then it's a pretty limited field.

I may just be jumping to conclusions since Craigan and McManus were the previous coaches but given McCulloch made 147 appearances for us and went on to be a Scotland international and has some management experience then seeing as we were interested in him for the role he fits that sort of mould.

Ultimately I guess if we're trying to pitch the club to kids/parents then rightly or wrongly having known faces in those coaching roles is probably going to be viewed as a selling point along with our "Elite" status.

Seeing as his assistant manager role with Scotland is a pretty part-time gig I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we ended up giving it Faddy 'til the end of the season.

That's true as well, I noticed the Sun breaking the news a wee while ago that they think Maurice Ross is now set to get the job having gone through some coaching session with McCulloch in front of senior management and Robinson chose him, how true that is I don't know but made for interesting reading.

9 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

That's true as well, I noticed the Sun breaking the news a wee while ago that they think Maurice Ross is now set to get the job having gone through some coaching session with McCulloch in front of senior management and Robinson chose him, how true that is I don't know but made for interesting reading.

Obviously I've no idea what the plans were but I'd have thought that it'd have been more likely that we were lining up McCulloch to replace Craigan and Ross to replace McManus. I see we're also advertising for a Head of Academy Sports Science and Medicine as Michael King's now working with the SFA.

Our staff in the reserves currently consists of Aileen Anderson.

5c4893e2ced8e_ScreenShot2019-01-23at16_18_17.thumb.png.f7313ece3714f839870d91d520b459e5.png

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Well McCulloch's just been unveiled at Dundee United so I assume it won't be him.

Aye. Scott Burns tweeted earlier that United "made their move" when they heard we had offered him the job.

I mean in the grand scheme of things it's Reserves/Academy stuff we're talking about so it's not like it's first team/priority patter but still it's a bit of a boot in the baws if we've actually taken time over all this (and given Craigan announced he was leaving over a month ago it seems we have) then find ourselves back at square one.

Edited by capt_oats

Hastie at this very early stage looks like a poster child for getting promising players out on loan. In his two appearances so far, he physically looks like a 1st team player - he took some robust treatment last night but clearly was able to handle it no bother (No doubt as a result of being terrorised by Jim Goodwin at 5's when training with Alloa). 

On other stuff last night - I thought the combination of Campbell, Gorrin & Turnball was a really good one and was actually a pretty entertaining midfield to watch. Gorrin in the right position seems to offer much of what Bigi does with an added bit of discipline, Campbell is still the top man when his energy levels are right and Turnball is someone that we will only get to enjoy briefly, which is a real shame.

If we are to play with one forward, then we only have a choice between Sammon and Main at present. Main last night looked interested and gave every impression of trying his best - but nothing came off for him and I do wonder if Sammon is worth a start in the formation we had last night.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Hastie at this very early stage looks like a poster child for getting promising players out on loan. In his two appearances so far, he physically looks like a 1st team player - he took some robust treatment last night but clearly was able to handle it no bother (No doubt as a result of being terrorised by Jim Goodwin at 5's when training with Alloa). 

On other stuff last night - I thought the combination of Campbell, Gorrin & Turnball was a really good one and was actually a pretty entertaining midfield to watch. Gorrin in the right position seems to offer much of what Bigi does with an added bit of discipline, Campbell is still the top man when his energy levels are right and Turnball is someone that we will only get to enjoy briefly, which is a real shame.

If we are to play with one forward, then we only have a choice between Sammon and Main at present. Main last night looked interested and gave every impression of trying his best - but nothing came off for him and I do wonder if Sammon is worth a start in the formation we had last night.

Main had a header from a Hastie cross in the second half and it almost looked like a clearance. He put himself about but he's got no confidence at all. The main from last season would have tried to find the top corner after that outrageous through ball from Turnbull in the first half but instead he passed it to the keeper. 

36 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Main had a header from a Hastie cross in the second half and it almost looked like a clearance. He put himself about but he's got no confidence at all. The main from last season would have tried to find the top corner after that outrageous through ball from Turnbull in the first half but instead he passed it to the keeper. 

To be fair to Main, I was in the East Stand in line with that chance and the ball was slightly behind him. He had to try and adjust himself in mid-air to try and get anything on it.

But aye, he did make a bit of an arse of it.

Feels like we've been here a few times before this season. A bad run followed by an improved performance/result that gives a bit of hope.

Robinson seems pretty confident that he got the team selection correct last night and I'd agree with that, just have to hope that if he is to put Hartley back in, then we don't make three or four changes to do so.

On a side note, had to laugh that the first response of some on Twitter following last night's win was to have a go at Curtis Main or Connor Sammon - I don't know if it's exclusive to our support, but we're a right bunch of moaning fuckers at times.

53 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Feels like we've been here a few times before this season. A bad run followed by an improved performance/result that gives a bit of hope.

Robinson seems pretty confident that he got the team selection correct last night and I'd agree with that, just have to hope that if he is to put Hartley back in, then we don't make three or four changes to do so.

On a side note, had to laugh that the first response of some on Twitter following last night's win was to have a go at Curtis Main or Connor Sammon - I don't know if it's exclusive to our support, but we're a right bunch of moaning fuckers at times.

Buckle up. Saturday is now sure to see us go 3-5-2 with Dunne at LWB, Turnbull in holding midfield and Sammon wide right.

4 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

Never mind online, there were people at the game who were desperate for Sammon to fail last night when he came on.  Embarrassing stuff.