Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just watched Robinson's interview after yesterday's game. Holy f**k.

I'm still not in full blown "Robinson out" mode yet but if by any chance he did end up at Luton I don't think I'd be the slightest but disappointed.

20 hours ago, Casagolda said:

The whole thing was an absolute car crash and positively McGhee-esque; delusional, cringe-worthy and quite frankly hard to watch from a manager who I use to have a lot of time for. I think he'll get time and won't be leaving in the near future unless he walks, however it's really difficult to see where he can go from here.

There is obviously a big push now for Robinson to go from folk that had made their minds up long ago and if you'd asked me on Saturday night - I'd have agreed to be fair. It's games like Saturday's that drains goodwill towards a manager from the support and he will know that there is practically nothing that can be done with in the remaining games this season to repair it going into the summer as our league position is realistically as high as it's going to be.  Things can't really get better, they could only get worse.

The most bizarre thing for me is that we went into the winter break on a good note having beaten Accies, had a chance to get folk rested, then some (expensive for a club like ours) warm weather training and had 3 weeks to come up with a shape and game plan to beat a lower division team.  With all that in mind, Saturday was a (costly) failure of management and there is simply no credible way to spin it any other way.

That said, I don't think this is (yet) a McGhee situation wherein we *had* to sack him there and then and trust to an open application process and hope that someone decent sent their CV in. IMO, it would only make sense to move Robinson on at this stage if we had a nailed-on replacement lined up already that was a clear "upgrade" in the way that Killie managed (even if it is not quite as dramatic an upgrade as they did). Given that the list of applicants last time wasn't exactly stellar - I'd be interested to see if the fact that the league is enjoying a bit more positive exposure at the moment, we would benefit from that.

I've not been to enough games this season to judge how the performances have been, but from talking to many it's not been great.  I think we have reached that stage where there is a sizeable chunk of our support who have turned on the manager, and generally you'll find those folk won't come back from that. 

We saw it happening towards the end of McGhee's time, and it's looking very much like going the same way for Robinson.  As Swello said, we're not going to get any better, in terms of league position, this season.  The only danger of us moving is down the way.  Therefore, there's no real point in waiting until the end of the season if the board are intending to change the manager.  Give a new guy time to evaluate the squad and plan who/want he wants for next season.

It'll be a real shame if it goes 'full McGhee' under Robinson and we take a Dundee-esque tanking from someone to signal the end.  It's clear it's not working this season, but he has done a lot of good things during his time at Fir Park.  A parting of the ways seems inevitable at this stage, here's hoping it's on the best possible terms.

I’ve been rattling on about it for a while, but we should be sounding out Paul Hurst and see if he fancies it. His record at Boston, Grimsby and Shrewsbury is outstanding. You can forgive him for the Ipswich stint as they are in terrible shape.

Not saying it is a certainty, but he might fancy a crack at Scotland and possibly a Championship job on the back of it if it all goes well.

20 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

I've just spent a few hours trying to change a shift to make Wednesday night, I failed, I feel I'll be happier for this...

At the start of season I checked the fixture list to check which games I'd be missing in the hope that I could swap shifts in order to make them.

Now I'm asking if I can swap shifts so I can miss them. 

Saturday 3pm games generally clash with my own football and whilst I got to a lot of games last season, I've only managed eight games this season (five in the league) and despite thinking I would miss supporting us as regularly, I still find every game I have to go to a chore.

I went almost four months between the 3-3 game against Rangers and the 1-0 defeat to St. Mirren just before Christmas and before the game I was choking to be back at Fir Park, twenty minutes in and I wanted to return to the pub. I felt the same against Killie on boxing day and then I think a derby day win and six pre-match pints masked how entertaining the game itself actually was.

Robinson's recruitment in the summer was nothing short of dreadful. It's mental to think a manager in one window signed Taylor-Sinclair, Donnelly, Rodriguez-Gorrin, Sammon and Johnson. I'd say Gillespie and maybe Mbulu (not seen enough of him yet) are his only saving graces from then. Infact, having been at the last four Gillespie is the only one who comes out postively over the peace.

If you look at us now, in comparison to the "is that allowed?" McGhee season, after 21 games we have an identical amount of points and even goal difference. Our form over the first 21 games looks similar to that season. That shows me that this season we have breathing space purely because there are teams worse than us. I think that will allow Robinson to "meet his target" as such for the season. We're 9 points ahead of a play-off spot and I can't see St. Mirren accruing nine points that we don't get. I think we could possibly afford to win 1 and lose 3 every four games for the rest of the season and still end up 10th. That's what can and I think probably will save the gaffer's job. That and the fact in an act of lunacy we extended his contract till 2020 before completing a round of fixtures last season.

What that does, however, is leave our season essentially finished in January. What are our fans going to watch and get excited about? Certainly not a good brand of football. I don't think I will ever enjoy the football in a Robinson game again. I'll maybe be pleased about the odd result we scrape but in terms of a football match I won't be. I imagine there will be many on the same boat. One of my group of mates is famed for staying in the pub while the rest of us go to the game and as much as I've always been dead against that, I could honestly see me doing that in the future unless there's something to look forward to for the £20.

On a side note, it's amazing how much (from both our fans and the manager) how much Ryan Bowman has turned from a barely used sub to an worldwide superstar in the three weeks since he left the club. His last eight games for us included one where he didn't get off the bench, four less than ten minute cameos and only one appearance longer than half an hour. If we weren't using him when he was here, we sure as hell aren't missing him now he's away. He went with my best wishes as a player who was industrious and gave his all, but he was of very limited ability and I think people are now definitely suffering from absence making the heart grow fonder, even after only three weeks!

5 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

Saturday 3pm games generally clash with my own football and whilst I got to a lot of games last season, I've only managed eight games this season (five in the league) and despite thinking I would miss supporting us as regularly, I still find every game I have to go to a chore.

I went almost four months between the 3-3 game against Rangers and the 1-0 defeat to St. Mirren just before Christmas and before the game I was choking to be back at Fir Park, twenty minutes in and I wanted to return to the pub. I felt the same against Killie on boxing day and then I think a derby day win and six pre-match pints masked how entertaining the game itself actually was.

Robinson's recruitment in the summer was nothing short of dreadful. It's mental to think a manager in one window signed Taylor-Sinclair, Donnelly, Rodriguez-Gorrin, Sammon and Johnson. I'd say Gillespie and maybe Mbulu (not seen enough of him yet) are his only saving graces from then. Infact, having been at the last four Gillespie is the only one who comes out postively over the peace.

If you look at us now, in comparison to the "is that allowed?" McGhee season, after 21 games we have an identical amount of points and even goal difference. Our form over the first 21 games looks similar to that season. That shows me that this season we have breathing space purely because there are teams worse than us. I think that will allow Robinson to "meet his target" as such for the season. We're 9 points ahead of a play-off spot and I can't see St. Mirren accruing nine points that we don't get. I think we could possibly afford to win 1 and lose 3 every four games for the rest of the season and still end up 10th. That's what can and I think probably will save the gaffer's job. That and the fact in an act of lunacy we extended his contract till 2020 before completing a round of fixtures last season.

What that does, however, is leave our season essentially finished in January. What are our fans going to watch and get excited about? Certainly not a good brand of football. I don't think I will ever enjoy the football in a Robinson game again. I'll maybe be pleased about the odd result we scrape but in terms of a football match I won't be. I imagine there will be many on the same boat. One of my group of mates is famed for staying in the pub while the rest of us go to the game and as much as I've always been dead against that, I could honestly see me doing that in the future unless there's something to look forward to for the £20.

On a side note, it's amazing how much (from both our fans and the manager) how much Ryan Bowman has turned from a barely used sub to an worldwide superstar in the three weeks since he left the club. His last eight games for us included one where he didn't get off the bench, four less than ten minute cameos and only one appearance longer than half an hour. If we weren't using him when he was here, we sure as hell aren't missing him now he's away. He went with my best wishes as a player who was industrious and gave his all, but he was of very limited ability and I think people are now definitely suffering from absence making the heart grow fonder, even after only three weeks!

Day off requested to read this...

31 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

This rings true for me.  I wasn't able to get a ST this season for the first time in god knows how long, for a couple of reasons, and I thought I would really miss it.  I haven't nearly as much as I thought I would.

The games I've made it to this season (QOTS, Livingston, St Johnstone at home & Accies away) have not been good at all.  Accies away only gets a pass mark as I was in hospitality and I was blotto for the majority of the game.  The home games in particular were pretty dire.

This rings true for me.  I wasn't able to get a ST this season for the first time in god knows how long, for a couple of reasons, and I thought I would really miss it.  I haven't nearly as much as I thought I would.
The games I've made it to this season (QOTS, Livingston, St Johnstone at home & Accies away) have not been good at all.  Accies away only gets a pass mark as I was in hospitality and I was blotto for the majority of the game.  The home games in particular were pretty dire.

Only reason I continue to buy a season ticket is because it makes me go more often than not. Even then, I have and will miss matches this season when I haven’t even got anything else planned. Just can’t bring myself to watch the dreadful football being served up. It’s dire!

6 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Has there been any mention of Lee McCulloch potentially taking over the reserves?

Other than on Steelmen last week?

Aye. It was in the Record's Transfers round-up earlier. 07:02 am. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-news-live-celtic-rangers-13885601

2 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

I just read the Record story on it there, totally passed me by.

The Sun are going with Maurice Ross as the "front-runner" for the job on their site just now but both them and the Record are seemingly overlooking the fact that there are 2 positions vacant at FP just now. I wouldn't have thought McCulloch to replace Craigan and Ross to replace McManus to be an unrealistic shout.

Edited by capt_oats

3 observations about Saturday’s game 

* why could Ross County pass the ball when we couldnt

* when did two handed pushes in the back become legal

* why does the scoring team fight in the net for the ball, slowing down the restart