Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Still, imagine that Gunning shot had gone in.

We would have lost 3-1 instead of 3-0.

We were never winning that day for numerous reasons, not least that McCall's Motherwell couldn't buy a win in a game as big as that but we had no belief in ourselves either.

Had that gone in and the match tied at 1-1 McCall would have opted to try and play it out at 1-1 and try and prevent Celtic scoring again, which wouldn't have happened as that tactic always backfired on us in 'big/cup' matches during McCall's tenure. See the League Cup Semi Final against Rangers from earlier that season for a pointer to that. We went into that one giving ourselves no hope and them the usual 'respect' and we set out to contain them, only to lose a (albeit, pretty decent) goal before actually having a bit of a go at the start of the second half which results in us equalising and us having them on the back foot. But what do we immediately do when level? Shite ourselves, sit back and and as sure as night follows day, gift them a cheap goal late on to win the tie.

The 2011 Scottish Cup Final was an awful occasion for us and we were as awful as we could have been but given that Celtic were going into that one absolutely desperate to win something having just lost the league and all the circus surround Neil Lennon at the time, they were never going to lose that one, so had Gunning's thunderbolt been a few inches lower it would not have made any difference to the end result.

20 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

He was great against United there, is my memory.

Still, imagine that Gunning shot had gone in.

I've always found this to be a justification of the final line-up to be a bit off. I'm 99% sure that against Dundee United that day, Hammell just played as a left midfielder in a bog standard 4-4-2, with Murphy as a right midfielder on the other side. 

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe said:

I've always found this to be a justification of the final line-up to be a bit off. I'm 99% sure that against Dundee United that day, Hammell just played as a left midfielder in a bog standard 4-4-2, with Murphy as a right midfielder on the other side. 

If he was, then his positioning through these highlights is absolutely shite:

Certainly my memory is it being a kind of lop-sided 4-3-3 on the day. Less of a justification, really. Our form in the build-up was rank, and we played for about half an hour against Hearts in the last five games is how I remember it.

That said, the two games against United remain a pair of my favourites. 

38 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

That said, the two games against United remain a pair of my favourites

Mine too - I was looking for the replay recently (which was one of the best 90min performances I can remember from us) - but couldn't find it anywhere which is a shame....

9 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Scored hunners of goals, sat on the bench for a bit, signed off by bending it right up Rangers. 

What an absolutely great guy.

Best thing about him was - he scored hunners but never quite mastered the "celebrating the goal" part - usually just a shite wee jump and maybe a small fist-pump if he got really excited.

2 hours ago, dezz said:
Loved BJS. Undoubtedly the better Sutton brother.

In other news, a bit of traction on twitter regarding Connor Sammon moving to the Buddies.

I don’t really pay much attention to St Mirren Twitter but from what I can see the Sammon thing is coming from this tweet which is...speculative to say the least:

Edited by capt_oats