Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

(may have been Danny Grainger but not 100% sure)

It was always Danny Grainger - Humphrey had a field day against him every time, I can't remember anything else like it..

On the Robinson thing - I don't know what to make of it. He obviously had a shite time at Oldham and might be a bit hesitant to head south again so soon - but on the other hand, it kind of makes sense in that ties to old clubs seem to have a disproportionate effect in football. It would certainly represent a pretty significant clear out of coaching staff with (I'd assume Robinson's biggest ally at the club) Craigan and McManus gone already.

Edited by Swello

You're right Swello, don't know why I doubted myself as Humphrey dished out a few pumpings to him over the years.  I think that particular game I was so worried about my toes falling off due to the cold weather I lost track of the opposition. 

Agree with you on the Robinson thing.  On top of what you've already said, he'd be going to a club (a club he'll have very close to his heart) on the up.  They're doing really well in League 1, and from what I've read, Nathan Jones done a fantastic job in getting the whole club up to a good place before moving on to Stoke.  Added to that, he'll undoubtedly get a better salary, a bigger budget to play with and an airport on his doorstep to get back and forth from his home in N. Ireland. 

It remains to be seen if Luton do make a move for him, but if they did, I'd be very surprised if he chose to remain at Motherwell.  Which leads me to say, if we are on the lookout for a new manager, is it as simple as getting on the phone to Craigan and asking him to come back as no.1?  

45 minutes ago, Swello said:

It was always Danny Grainger - Humphrey had a field day against him every time, I can't remember anything else like it..

On the Robinson thing - I don't know what to make of it. He obviously had a shite time at Oldham and might be a bit hesitant to head south again so soon - but on the other hand, it kind of makes sense in that ties to old clubs seem to have a disproportionate effect in football. It would certainly represent a pretty significant clear out of coaching staff with (I'd assume Robinson's biggest ally at the club) Craigan and McManus gone already.

Mind when they started Steven Anderson at left back, and he got hooked in less than half an hour because he'd essentially been watching a claret and amber blur for the whole time, only for Grainger to come on and get absolutely roasted for the next hour?

Good day.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I loved Nick Blackman. Didn't he only score in away games or something? I mind him giving us the lead at Ibrox fairly late into the game before we capitulated.

Nah, doesn’t sound like a thing that we’d do, you must be mis-remembering. 

44 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

Daily Record running with the story that we are in talks with Maurice Ross over a coaching role to replace either McManus or Craigan.

Thought he'd probably be in with a shout even before I read his name quoted over on SO.

The club have made a big play for building an 'identity' and clearly with Lasley, Craigan, McManus, Hammell and Clarkson you had a backroom with a lot of experience in a Motherwell jersey. Even Robinson had his stint as assistant before he got the job permanently.

If that's being viewed as a key criteria (and why not?) then it's a pretty shallow pool of options.

Certainly the other name mentioned on SO fits more with the Lasley et al school than the bold Mo does but Ross has been bouncing around Norway managing various sides. IIRC he did an interview a while back on Sportsound talking about his experience over there. Taken on face value he seems a reasonable shout to take over the u18s role McManus had.

Fairly extensive interview with him here.

Edited by capt_oats

This transfer window seems to have petered out a bit after the initial excitement of punting Bowman and bringing in McCormack and Ariyibi. Was around this this time last year that I made up a rumour we were signing Ciftci out of boredom.

Obviously that actually happened, so on that note, heard we're signing that Juanma boy that used to play for Hearts. #WelcomeJuanma

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This transfer window seems to have petered out a bit after the initial excitement of punting Bowman and bringing in McCormack and Ariyibi. Was around this this time last year that I made up a rumour we were signing Ciftci out of boredom.

Obviously that actually happened, so on that note, heard we're signing that Juanma boy that used to play for Hearts. #WelcomeJuanma

Imagine making up a rumour about who Motherwell are going to sign.  Mile-oot behaviour!

Thought he'd probably be in with a shout even before I read his name quoted over on SO.
The club have made a big play for building an 'identity' and clearly with Lasley, Craigan, McManus, Hammell and Clarkson you had a backroom with a lot of experience in a Motherwell jersey. Even Robinson had his stint as assistant before he got the job permanently.
If that's being viewed as a key criteria (and why not?) then it's a pretty shallow pool of options.
Certainly the other name mentioned on SO fits more with the Lasley et al school than the bold Mo does but Ross has been bouncing around Norway managing various sides. IIRC he did an interview a while back on Sportsound talking about his experience over there. Taken on face value he seems a reasonable shout to take over the u18s role McManus had.
I remember him having a brief spell with us but I didn't realise just how brief. He signed in April 2011 until the end of the season and only appeared 6 times. Still counts as an ex-player though.

6 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I remember him having a brief spell with us but I didn't realise just how brief. He signed in April 2011 until the end of the season and only appeared 6 times. Still counts as an ex-player though.

I remember hearing a story that Maurice Ross was pencilled in to start to the 2011 Cup Final for us, with him at right back and Hateley in the middle of the park.  That got changed fairly late on and infamously, we started Gunning at left back and Stevie Hammell as a holding midfielder...

Edited by Desp

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

I remember hearing a story that Maurice Ross was pencilled in to start to the 2011 Cup Final for us, with him at right back and Hateley in the middle of the park.  That got changed fairly late on and infamously, we started Gunning at left back and Stevie Hammell as a holding midfielder...

Now I have a lot of time for McCall's time at Motherwell but fucking hell that's one tactical decision that boils my blood. Probably our best left back for the last 30 years and we opt to play him in midfield.

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Now I have a lot of time for McCall's time at Motherwell but fucking hell that's one tactical decision that boils my blood. Probably our best left back for the last 30 years and we opt to play him in midfield.

He was great against United there, is my memory.

Still, imagine that Gunning shot had gone in.