Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It sounds like Robinson is going to be making changes in shape and hopefully playing style for the next 6 months. It's going to be really interesting to see what the style of play is. I think we are all keen to see a bit more football played. It seems obvious to me that we can't continue to boot balls up the park when we have someone of the talent of Ross McCormack.

In hindsight the summer was a bit of a step back in terms of personnel. I think most of us were hoping to refine the squad with some quality but we failed to do that and brought in more of the same type of players. This looks to be what Robinson is trying to rectify now. It still seems strange to me that we took strides forward in that regard on paper with Cifci last January only to recruit Sammon in the summer.

Anyway it looks like he has got the message now, it's going to be really interesting to see how this goes. Robinson IMO is fairly strong tactically and defensively. His weakness seems to be producing any real creative or attacking threat. Even last year when we were doing okay the plan appeared to 'get as many balls in the box as possible' or 'play direct early'. Clearly this worked a treat in some cup games but it is a fairly basic approach. I am of the belief that football is often over complicated by some but I think we need to be a bit more cute going forward. I remain hopeful but so far as a manager this seems to be his blindspot. The Accies result and McCormack signing has certainly bought Robinson some time.

In terms of other recruits I'm hopeful we will see another defensive and quality attacking option added. I'm honestly still not convinced about ATS defensively and wouldn't mind us bringing another left back in. I am also hoping that we can get another attacking player of a decent calibre.

In terms of options we have currently I would go for something like:

Gillespie
Tait Aldred Dunne ATS
Ariyibi Campbell McHugh Frear
Turnbull
McCormack

Or

Gillespie
Tait Aldred Dunne ATS
Ariyibi Campbell Turnbull Frear
McCormack Johnson

Or we even have the option to go with a 3 up front. The whole 352 debate kind of went away last year after Robinson changed to the diamond and picked up a couple of results. We seemed to revert back but it wasn't really highlighed again. I still don't think it's the best way to set the team up, especially now with the addition of these new attacking options

It'll be interesting to see how many more Robinson is able to bring in.  Assuming he moves on Main & Sammon, you'd assume another striker would be the priority.  An out an out no.9 would be handy, as I would have thought McCormack would be better just off the front man, rather than having the expectation of being the guy that will score all the goals.

Another position that's still unsure for me is left-back.  Was Robinson's dig at ATS after the Accies game a sign his time is up if he can't stay up?  Will Livingstone finally be given a run, or is someone else going to come in. 

Wouldn't mind this to kick-off the second half of the season;

Gillespie

Tait  Aldred  Hartley  Dunne

Campbell  McHugh

Aribiyi   McCormack  Frear

New Striker*

*Would be happy with Danny Johnson up top if a new man isn't in by then.  I do think he'll get better the longer he's here, and playing alongside McCormack will help him no end.

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

Another position that's still unsure for me is left-back.  Was Robinson's dig at ATS after the Accies game a sign his time is up if he can't stay up?  Will Livingstone finally be given a run, or is someone else going to come in. 

Same. There seems to be some real positivity about ATS and I feel bad for thinking he's a bit humpty. He looked like he was wearing roller blades at NDP.

15 minutes ago, Desp said:

Was Robinson's dig at ATS after the Accies game a sign his time is up if he can't stay up

I don't think we should be going into the 2nd half of the season with two players who are likely not physically up to the job. ATS obviously has long-term injury problems and Livingstone, regardless of how talented he is, is probably not at the physical level to be a first choice LB  this season (or it would at the very least be a gamble to rely on him to that extent). If it's financially possible, we should be doing everything to ensure that we have a fit senior LB (and as a consequence keep Tait in his best position).

Edited by Swello

We were being linked with a loan move for a left back from Stoke back at the start of the window. @Kyle mentioned that the link had come from Alan Nixon so it wasn't like it was AgentScotland or some other fraud account. I suppose the problem with left back is that we'd need to move ATS on first and his knees seem to be held together with sellotape. We'll not be able to move him until he's able to pass a medical.

Also, given the state of flux at Stoke then sacking their manager may have changed the landscape on that one. However I'd have thought if we were looking then it's an area Robinson would be wanting to address.

For me we're looking at a 433...

Gillespie
Tait Aldred Dunne ??????
Campbell McHugh Turnbull
Ariyibi McCormack ??????

Subs from: Main, Sammon, Johnson, Ferguson, Hartley, Grimshaw, ATS, Donnelly, Bigirimana, Gorrin, Scott, Hastie, Livingstone and Newell (lol)

Long term injuries: Carson, Cadden, Tanner

I've a feeling Johnson will probably be lined up to play off the bench. For all he's chipped in with goals his all round play is something that's been consistently flagged.

Edit: clearly there will be movement out from that subs pool.

Edited by capt_oats

I wouldn't be averse to putting McCormack on the left and playing Johnson in the middle - was that not where McCormack was mainly used the last time?

I'd like to think we'll also be seeing more from the likes of Scott and Hastie in the second half of the season.  If Robinson is serious about a 4-3-3 then you'd hope that some combination of Frear/McCormack/Hastie over the piece would be an option.

Exciting times...

200w.gif.6e4e9246a00cba019e8a1802119231e1.gif

Been looking for this since I seen you were interested in Dykes, and just found it now :lol: he'll fit in at your training sessions..

QOS went to score from the pass you see right at the end.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

200w.gif.6e4e9246a00cba019e8a1802119231e1.gif

Been looking for this since I seen you were interested in Dykes, and just found it now :lol: he'll fit in at your training sessions..

QOS went to score from the pass you see right at the end.

200w (2).gif

Southampton interested in McKinstry now according to the super soaraway Sun.

On the Dykes thing, I freely admit that my knowledge of the player is limited to what I've read on here and the bits and pieces I've seen on YouTube but I'd have thought James Scott would have been as good an option as the bold Lyndon. Robinson talking up Scott in his interview the other day made it sound like he was in his thoughts.

Getting quite upset at the potential this lad must have if he has clubs down south battling it out for him. 

It may be a case of you don’t miss what you don’t know but kind of wishing now he would stay put. 

I assume he is under contract hence transfer fee or would it be a development fee ?

Wonder if the rumour is true regarding Sammon to P Thistle or just wishful thinking. 

Edit - just read article...so signed until 2020.  

Edited by welldaft

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Getting quite upset at the potential this lad must have if he has clubs down south battling it out for him. 

It may be a case of you don’t miss what you don’t know but kind of wishing now he would stay put. 

I assume he is under contract hence transfer fee or would it be a development fee ?

Wonder if the rumour is true regarding Sammon to P Thistle or just wishful thinking. 

He's under contract until 2020 so aye it's a transfer fee rather than a dev fee.

Tbh if teams like Leeds and Southampton are interested in taking him then fair fucks to him IMO (and also Motherwell's academy). I know Robinson chucked McKinstry on to the bench the other week against Killie but it's difficult to see us throwing a 16 year old into our first team in any meaningful sense and it's worth remembering it'll (probably) be u23s football he'll be moving to rather than striding straight into Leeds or Southampton's first team.

It's similar to Billy Gilmour patching Rangers to move to Chelsea I suppose. He's being offered an opportunity that will develop his career and MFC's interests will be protected (to an extent) I find it pretty hard to take issue with that. It's the model we sell to kids who join our Academy.

By the same token Robbie Leitch left for Burnley without playing a first team game and is now playing in the Croatian third tier via St Mirren u20s and Queens Park. So if we're getting a deal for a 16 year old without a first team game to his name (and only a handful of Reserves appearances) that can potentially match what we received for someone like say, Moult then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ you kind of have to take it on the chin.

It'll be interesting to see how this one goes, the lad and his family are Motherwell daft. The chat I've heard is that his only desire is to stay here and work towards a first team appearance - he's only just turned 16, so that could still be a bit away.

Most importantly he comes from a good family and Stuart seems have a very good attitude too. I'm sure the chance to go down south is a massive one for the lad, but I wouldn't be surprised if he decides that Motherwell is the best place to continue his development. 

A good start for Barry McGuire today with a goal and a clean sheet as QoS pumped County 4-0. Possibly a good sign for our Cup game next week.

Very raw, came into the game and won most his duels. Went in for a tasty challenge with Mullin which resulted in Mullin getting a straight red, no fear at all. Has all the potential to be a class act

It'll be interesting to see how this one goes, the lad and his family are Motherwell daft. The chat I've heard is that his only desire is to stay here and work towards a first team appearance - he's only just turned 16, so that could still be a bit away.
Most importantly he comes from a good family and Stuart seems have a very good attitude too. I'm sure the chance to go down south is a massive one for the lad, but I wouldn't be surprised if he decides that Motherwell is the best place to continue his development.

If this is the case, and I hope it is as he would be living the dream that I and many well fans would've had.

I just hope that his commitment to the club is repaid when his time comes.