Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just catching up, fully on board the Ariyibi hype train btw. At the very least he looks pacey and skilful, which means he might actually bring an element of entertainment/excitement to games that’s sadly been lacking for large parts of this season. 

As for what’s next, I’m genuinely intrigued to see how far Robinson’s willing to go in terms of emptying players to bring new ones in. He was very specific in wanting a quality striker and a winger(or two) in before the window opened, he’s already got both. Well, if you include Hastie coming back anyway. Plus you’ve also got to think Frear’s performance at NDP won him a reprieve from the cull he looked destined to be a part of.

From what I’ve seen the likes of Main, Sammon, Bigi etc are all out in Tenerife so there doesn’t seem to be anything imminent, as I’d imagine one or two would have to depart before anyone else comes in. Obviously a couple of weeks left mind and a lot could still happen, just wonder how many more ins/outs we’re looking at.

Just now, Casagolda said:

Just catching up, fully on board the Ariyibi hype train btw. At the very least he looks pacey and skilful, which means he might actually bring an element of entertainment/excitement to games that’s sadly been lacking for large parts of this season. 

As for what’s next, I’m genuinely intrigued to see how far Robinson’s willing to go in terms of emptying players to bring new ones in. He was very specific in wanting a quality striker and a winger(or two) in before the window opened, he’s already got both. Well, if you include Hastie coming back anyway. Plus you’ve also got to think Frear’s performance at NDP won him a reprieve from the cull he looked destined to be a part of.

From what I’ve seen the likes of Main, Sammon, Bigi etc are all out in Tenerife so there doesn’t seem to be anything imminent, as I’d imagine one or two would have to depart before anyone else comes in. Obviously a couple of weeks left mind and a lot could still happen, just wonder how many more ins/outs we’re looking at.

Are you sure it was Sammon and it wasn't just the baldy physio?

44 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Are you sure it was Sammon and it wasn't just the baldy physio?

:lol:

Nah, was definitely Sammon.

Given Livingston and St Mirren have already sent their Hearts loanees packing, you’d think we’d have done the same as well if we could/wanted to. Looks like he’s here for the season, although to be fair I’m sure Fisher went to Tenerife last year before being punted so who knows.

I imagine though if we were planning to send him back, we’d have done it by now.

Edited by Casagolda

18 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

:lol:

Nah, was definitely Sammon.

Given Livingston and St Mirren have already sent their Hearts loanees packing, you’d think we’d have done the same as well if we could/wanted to. Looks like he’s here for the season, although to be fair I’m sure Fisher went to Tenerife last year before being punted so who knows.

I imagine though if we were planning to send him back, we’d have done it by now.

I'm wondering if he's just being kept around until we find out who else is coming & going. Like while we're clearing the decks it might not make sense to leave us with 2 strikers overall. 

Fair play to him. A free holiday to Tenerife out of it.

I've been watching the Ariyibi YouTube stuff and one of the things that caught my attention is the fact that he seems capable of picking up the ball and carrying it 40-50 yards up the park. I'm pretty certain he'll lose possession a lot if he's cutting about trying to nutmeg boys by rabona-ing them but in terms of physicality and athleticism he looks like a decent out ball which is something that we haven't had since Nadir who we were at least able to hit when we were going direct and we haven't had in wide areas since Marvin Johnson (given Cadden's largely been at wing-back).

The other thing is that he seems to have a decent work rate, there are quite a few clips of him dropping back in to right mid where he's picking the ball up and winning tackles. Which is nice.

Bowman's chronic first touch, Main's perma-rage and the fact that Johnson's still working on that side of his game meant that we weren't really able to make the ball stick. You'd imagine that given McComack's a better technical footballer than any of those three would mean that even if we end up shelling the ball to him he's going to make more of things in the final third than we were able to previously.

On the Sammon thing @Casagolda's correct Fisher was over in Tenerife last January. If they're part of the first team at the time they were jetting off I doubt we'd just patch them to train with the 20s at Dalziel Park until the rest of the first team come back. I suppose we may be looking at keeping Sammon around until we see what happens with Main or alternatively we're not able to send him back to Hearts unless they have someone else to take him on loan.

As @well fan for life says above we may just be keeping him around until we see who else is coming in.

Also, on Main, given he was being linked with Luton the other week I see that's Luton's manager speaking to Stoke about taking over from Rowett. So that seems to have fucked that I guess.

Looking at the recruitment so far with Ariyibi in and Hastie back you'd think that Robinson's comment about changing it up and having the option to go 433 or 442 is a thing that he's going to commit to. Though Ariyibi doesn't seem to be anywhere near Forest's first team it seems unlikely we've brought him in to just park him on the bench so in turn it's unlikely we'll be looking at going with wing-backs as much.

Gillespie
Tait Aldred Dunne ATS
Campbell McHugh Turnbull
Ariyibi McCormack Frear

Subs from: Main, Sammon, Johnson, Ferguson, Hartley, Grimshaw, Donnelly, Bigirimana, Gorrin, Scott, Hastie, Livingstone and Newell (lol)

Long term injuries: Carson, Cadden, Tanner

Having said the way Robinson's talking there will be more movement in and out before the end of the month so....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, AndyRoss said:

I really would like to see him go back to Tynecastle, but saying that I did enjoy his sheer delight following the full-time whistle at Accies, it was a sign he really does care, just doesn't do fitba very well...

I think he's got a touch of the Alex Fisher about him in that he'll work like a dog but he's just got absolutely no confidence in front of goal. Similar to Bowman I find it really difficult to get annoyed when Sammon's playing because you can see he's trying his arse off but just lacks in ability.

Sammon was in The Station Hotel in Larbert the night before the Hearts game in which he obviously wasn't playing, and a nicer guy you couldn't hope to meet.

Wasn't brave enough to tell him he's humpty though, they almost had to open the front wall for him to get out. I would unashamedly have found myself saying "yeah mate I really hope you get a run in the starting 11 soon, you're definitely what we're missing", if the conversation had gone that way. I'm generally an honest guy but I do like being alive.

If you look at the goals that Sammon scored against QOTS in the pre-season league cup games - it looked like if we gave him decent service on the deck, he'd do well. Months later of shelling the ball at his head and there is a player who looks totally bereft of confidence. Ultimately, I don't think he is what we need but our style of play (or lack of it) is also culpable here...

15 minutes ago, Al B said:

Sammon was in The Station Hotel in Larbert the night before the Hearts game in which he obviously wasn't playing, and a nicer guy you couldn't hope to meet.

Wasn't brave enough to tell him he's humpty though, they almost had to open the front wall for him to get out. I would unashamedly have found myself saying "yeah mate I really hope you get a run in the starting 11 soon, you're definitely what we're missing", if the conversation had gone that way. I'm generally an honest guy but I do like being alive.

Honestly, nothing but respect for your shitebaggery here. 

Would I f**k tell him he's garbage.

13 minutes ago, Swello said:

If you look at the goals that Sammon scored against QOTS in the pre-season league cup games - it looked like if we gave him decent service on the deck, he'd do well. Months later of shelling the ball at his head and there is a player who looks totally bereft of confidence. Ultimately, I don't think he is what we need but our style of play (or lack of it) is also culpable here...

A fair point. You'd also have to imagine that if you're a striker playing for us and Ryan fucking Bowman is getting picked every week ahead of you that your confidence would take an absolute kicking.

See that's Robinson in at 4/1 alongside Warburton with Skybet for next Luton manager after Nathan Jones took the Stoke job. Michael Appleton's the current favourite at 2/1.

I kind of wondered if he'd be quoted for it. Robinson's former Luton captain with 185 appearances for them. 42.2% win rate in 90 games with us, 2 cup finals...for all it's been a fairly shite season so far his CV looks a lot better now than when he was binned by Oldham.

Edit: update...he's now favourite at 2/1.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

See that's Robinson in at 4/1 alongside Warburton with Skybet for next Luton manager after Nathan Jones took the Stoke job. Michael Appleton's the current favourite at 2/1.

I kind of wondered if he'd be quoted for it. Robinson's former Luton captain with 185 appearances for them. 42.2% win rate in 90 games with us, 2 cup finals...for all it's been a fairly shite season so far his CV looks a lot better now than when he was binned by Oldham.

At the very least I’d like Robinson to see out this season with us so if they would kindly bugger off and leave him be, it’d be greatly appreciated.