Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Nah, we tried him there at the start of the season and it didn't work. He had been playing as a wing back and was fine but it didn't get anywhere near the best from him.

He finally found some form playing at right back then his knee fell to bits.

It's so long ago he was played in his natural position I'm not entirely where he plays any more. 

1 minute ago, nsr said:

No disrespect to Aberdeen but I would be disappointed if any of our younger players saw another Scottish club as a significant step up in their career. Even Celtic, who'd doubtless offer more money but they'd hardly be likely to get much game time.

To be honest, I think any team in the league outwith the cheeks could say that.

25 minutes ago, Desp said:

Not that I want Cadden to go to Aberdeen of course, but if he played on the right hand side of midfield with Logan behind him, he'd be very good.

Agreed.

I mean, we could play him with Tait behind him, but that'd be mental.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Back in those days it was a very simple process of you played for the country you were born in. 

Not so sure that's the case. Loads of players took citizenship and switch countries cos you used to be allowed to do it. Not sure when that changed but I can't see any serious examples of it past about  mid 1960's.

26 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Not so sure that's the case. Loads of players took citizenship and switch countries cos you used to be allowed to do it. Not sure when that changed but I can't see any serious examples of it past about  mid 1960's.

Was there not a Real Madrid player who played for 3 countries? Sure he played for Argentina, Spain and Italy

2 hours ago, Desp said:

That's it!  From my shit memory, I thought it was Scotland and America, but you're spot on. 

Cheers!

The 1960 Scotland England game at Hampton had the opposing centre forwards who went to two schools that were 300 yards apart. Ian St John went to Calder Primary and Joe Baker went to Park Street later Cathedral Primary in Motherwell. 

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was there not a Real Madrid player who played for 3 countries? Sure he played for Argentina, Spain and Italy

Alberto Di Stefano played with Argentina, Colombia & Spain. The Colombia caps aren't "officially" recognised due to a dispute or something between Fifa and Colombia at the time.

Here a wee snippet of a wiki (I know) bit about it, though the Platini one is a pile of shite

Historically, it was possible for players to play for different national teams. For example, Alfredo Di Stéfano played for Argentina (1947) and Spain (1957–61).[1]

Di Stefano's Real Madrid teammate Ferenc Puskás also played for Spain after amassing 85 caps for Hungary earlier in his career.[2][3] A third high-profile instance of a player switching international football nationalities is Jose Altafini, who played for Brazil in the 1958 FIFA World Cup and for Italy in the subsequent 1962 FIFA World Cup.[4][5]

Other 20th-century examples of players representing two or three separate countries are:

Edited by Busta Nut

5 minutes ago, neildrake said:

The 1960 Scotland England game at Hampton had the opposing centre forwards who went to two schools that were 300 yards apart. Ian St John went to Calder Primary and Joe Baker went to Park Street later Cathedral Primary in Motherwell. 

That's brilliant.

“Going into the window, we were keen to boost our attacking options and with Ross and Gboly, we’ve made a good start.”

Not to read too much into Robinson's comment on the OS but "a good start" suggests we're not finished "boosting our attacking options". As it stands we're pretty top heavy. Even accounting for Tanner's injury we've brought Hastie back, so surely a few of the below will be moving if we're bringing more in?

5c33b372489c5_ScreenShot2019-01-07at20_14_58.thumb.png.74f6890610f22955662bb0f47a2f8758.png

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Not to read too much into Robinson's comment on the OS but "a good start" suggests we're not finished "boosting our attacking options". As it stands we're pretty top heavy. Even accounting for Tanner's injury we've brought Hastie back, so surely a few of the below will be moving if we're bringing more in?

5c33b372489c5_ScreenShot2019-01-07at20_14_58.thumb.png.74f6890610f22955662bb0f47a2f8758.png

Not heard much since the initial rumour that he was away to Luton, but I was fully expecting Main to be moved on in this window. Tanner won’t count as I doubt we’ll see him this season and with McCormack and Ariyibi being short term loans, I’m also doubtful Tanner will compete with them for a place in the team. Expect Johnson is a stick on to stay but who knows in regards of Sammon and Newell. Still, if we could, I’d be hoping for one more forward in.

1 hour ago, CSmith said:

Not heard much since the initial rumour that he was away to Luton, but I was fully expecting Main to be moved on in this window. Tanner won’t count as I doubt we’ll see him this season and with McCormack and Ariyibi being short term loans, I’m also doubtful Tanner will compete with them for a place in the team. Expect Johnson is a stick on to stay but who knows in regards of Sammon and Newell. Still, if we could, I’d be hoping for one more forward in.

Think you may get your wish, he’s on his way from a land down under 

Edited by Rabmckinnonsbarmyarmy

100% got try get Sammon off the wage bill offers nothing and newell too. I’ve heavily criticised Main this year but I wouldn’t mind him sticking around for now but I would like to see us bring in another big, fast and athletic goal scorer in.

14 minutes ago, Rabmckinnonsbarmyarmy said:

Think you may get your wish, he’s on his way from a land down under 

Cryptic. Surely not MOH. 

Would be genuinely excited with him + the 2 loan signings, but as mentioned above by bringing in another forward player that would suggest one or two moving on this window. I like Main but he has been poor in front of goal these past few months. That plus he is more likely imho to attract interest from lower league teams down south. 

Newell & Sammon are absolutely essential to get rid of tbh. I genuinely forget Newell exists until I see him mentioned on here and Sammon didn’t inspire me with confidence in when he signed and he’s done f**k all to convince me otherwise.

Main just gets a shrug from me tbh. If he’s got a bit of confidence and genuinely is interested in playing for us then he is good to have around. If nothing else he’s good fun to watch when he fancies it.

However. If someone offers us any cash at all then goodbye big man!