Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I actually refuse to believe we might be trying to play 'football' the rest of this year.

This guy looks good, and there's a lot to be said for a totally random signing out of nowhere.  Starting to tick the boxes in terms of what we're needing across the squad, I'm kinda looking forward to the County game now.

29 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

The above video and his Wyscout looks some laugh.

I dunno if its in the above one, but there's a clip of him Cruyff turning some boy into another dimension. 

Looks quite entertaining - intruiged to see what he's like without a Wyscout circle around him.

Spoiler

He'll be getting called a Sand Dancer on Steelmen by mid-february.

Again without falling into the YouTube compilation trap, just on optics alone...he's 6ft and looks built. No disrespec' but compared with the bold Elliot Frear who's like the side of a fiver yer man looks like he fits more in Robinson's 'big, physical Motherwell' mould. Also, he's quite Marvin Johnson-esque in his gait which is something we've definitely lacked.

With specific reference to the YouTube video, it really is some laugh he's just running at full backs for fun.

4 minutes ago, nsr said:

Have we had an American player before? Can't think of one off the top of my head.

The List of Motherwell F.C Players wiki says Gerry Baker (56-58) and Tommy O'Hara (81-83). Both well before my time.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Has Cadden been injured long term?

I saw online rumours that we're in for him on a pre-contract, not sure whether to believe it or not.

His knee's been in a brace and he's not expected back until the spring.

It's a knee tendon injury: https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/club/team-news/

I wouldn't be surprised if Aberdeen were interested but given Lewis Ferguson cost £237,950 off the back of 14 games for Accies, you'd imagine Cadden's development fee would be quite pricey given he's been at Motherwell longer than Ferguson was at Accies and has 131 appearances and 2 full international caps.

29 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The List of Motherwell F.C Players wiki says Gerry Baker (56-58) and Tommy O'Hara (81-83). Both well before my time.

I remember my Dad telling me a story about two brothers who played for Motherwell where one played for Scotland and the other for America.  Is this that guy?

Something along the lines of their father was in America during the war and one kid was born over there.  Back in those days it was a very simple process of you played for the country you were born in. 

4 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

One played for America and the other England...despite being raised in Motherwell to a Scottish mother and English father. 

That's it!  From my shit memory, I thought it was Scotland and America, but you're spot on. 

Cheers!

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

His knee's been in a brace and he's not expected back until the spring.

It's a knee tendon injury: https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/club/team-news/

I wouldn't be surprised if Aberdeen were interested but given Lewis Ferguson cost £237,950 off the back of 14 games for Accies, you'd imagine Cadden's development fee would be quite pricey given he's been at Motherwell longer than Ferguson was at Accies and has 131 appearances and 2 full international caps.

Aye, I'm more surprised as I reckon he'd try his hand down the road before moving to us.

It would also be his last year you're entitled to a cross-border fee too so wouldn't be surprised to see him sign for another year or so. 

Am I correct in thinking he plays more centrally for you now? We could be looking at him as a replacement for Shinnie.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye, I'm more surprised as I reckon he'd try his hand down the road before moving to us.

It would also be his last year you're entitled to a cross-border fee too so wouldn't be surprised to see him sign for another year or so. 

Am I correct in thinking he plays more centrally for you now? We could be looking at him as a replacement for Shinnie.

Nah, we tried him there at the start of the season and it didn't work. He had been playing as a wing back and was fine but it didn't get anywhere near the best from him.

He finally found some form playing at right back then his knee fell to bits.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Nah, we tried him there at the start of the season and it didn't work. He had been playing as a wing back and was fine but it didn't get anywhere near the best from him.

He finally found some form playing at right back then his knee fell to bits.

Sounds like he's a bit of an enigma. Can't see Derek looking at a right back to replace Logan unless he can play several positions.

No disrespect to Aberdeen but I would be disappointed if any of our younger players saw another Scottish club as a significant step up in their career. Even Celtic, who'd doubtless offer more money but they'd hardly be likely to get much game time.