Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, supermarv said:

Sure moult was 30k not too sure about the others but guessing they were around the same but I know Carson cost 10k!

Whether we paid £30k for Moult in 2015 or £50k for Cooper in 1989 seems fairly irrelevant when we burned through the best part of £2m in transfer fees during the 1990s. 

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Whether we paid £30k for Moult in 2015 or £50k for Cooper in 1989 seems fairly irrelevant when we burned through the best part of £2m in transfer fees during the 1990s. 

100%. Here are some of McLeish's signings alone:

- John Hendry (£200k)
- Scott Howie (£300k)
- Shaun McSkimming (£350k)
- Andy Roddie (£150k)
- Mitchell Van Der Gaag (£400k)
- Eddie May (£100k plus Steve Kirk & Paul McGrillen)

I'm sure Davies and McLean must have paid out a few more fees on top of Spencer at £500k, Lambert £250k and Coyne £125k...

Edit: Ged Brannan was £375k.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

We paid money for Scott Howie?!

IMG_8914.jpg

To be fair, we paid for a lot of players. It was more common back then.  Even at that, I thought Scott Howie was decent. Not the best certainly, but nowhere near the worst we've had in the last 25 years. 

16 minutes ago, nsr said:

Any ideas what those numbers would be today, adjusted for inflation?

Not scientific at all, but I've seen a lot of "world record fee" lists that adjust every transfer to today's figures.

Zidanes fee from 2001 just about doubles.

Guest Moomintroll

Fantastic signing I think.

Hope he does really well.

#TB4
Could be an excellent signing & will probably push Motherwell up a lot closer to the likes of Livvi and Hibs by the split. Surprised Aberdeen haven't moved for him given their lack of striking options so far this season

To be fair, we paid for a lot of players. It was more common back then.  Even at that, I thought Scott Howie was decent. Not the best certainly, but nowhere near the worst we've had in the last 25 years. 

Very true - just shows how the amount of money we were throwing around on pretty average players back then was mental though!

7 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Very true - just shows how the amount of money we were throwing around on pretty average players back then was mental though!

On face value aye but you balance that against the fact that the wages we were paying back then were nothing like the money that's paid now.

The preview for the 91/92 season and McLean's dispute with Paterson and Maxwell puts it in real terms.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, one m in Motherwell said:

When it was pre-bosman, the club still retained the player's registration even when their contract expired, so they couldn't just walk away - that tended to ensure that every player had a transfer fee unlike now.

The two periods where we went mad were under McLeish (which still annoys me) and obviously the Boyle/Nevin era which was properly unhinged...

Could be an excellent signing & will probably push Motherwell up a lot closer to the likes of Livvi and Hibs by the split. Surprised Aberdeen haven't moved for him given their lack of striking options so far this season

To everyone’s surprise Sam Cosgrove turned into a goal machine there.

No idea who, if anybody, we’ll sign.