Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Was on the actual telly...apologies to @Del_Superwell for nicking his Twitter photo (at least I think it's his).

DvmZ4NmX4AAdODr.jpg

I am shooketh.

Yeah was my tweet lol saying that I am surprised but delighted that we appear to be landing a player of McCormacks quality and going by Robinsons interview after the game he wants to bring in attacking players that will change the way we play which will be more positive.

Scott Burns of the express who’s usually pretty good with Motherwell stuff, linking Curtis Main with a move to Luton.

Sounds like Robinson could actually be ripping our attack up and starting from scratch. Which is understandable tbh, as I said in the match thread after yesterday Aldred now has as many league goals as Bowman, Main and Sammon combined this season.

All workers who give their all but quite frankly, I’d quite happily trade in 2/3 of them and use the money to at least try to bring in someone with a bit more quality.

Edited by Casagolda

37 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Scott Burns of the express who’s usually pretty good with Motherwell stuff, linking Curtis Main with a move to Luton.

Sounds like Robinson could actually be ripping up our attack up and starting from scratch. Which is understandable tbh, as I said in the match thread after yesterday Aldred now has as many league goals as Bowman, Main and Sammon this season.

All workers who give their all but quite frankly, I’d quite happily trade in 2/3 of them and use the money to at least try to bring in someone with a bit more quality.

Was just away to post the same thing.

If the McCormack thing is as it appears (and a former player who plays in an area we've publicly spoken about needing to improve, who's signed to a side in Birmingham and supposed to be loaned out to a team in Australia pitching up in Hamilton of an afternoon doesn't really happen by chance) then I'd imagine it'd have a knock on to Main and Sammon who are probably going to be earning at the higher end of our pay scale. I'd be surprised if we'd be able to bring McCormack home just based on swapping out Bowman alone.

Fair fucks to Robinson for ripping things up tbh. Despite the cup finals and the like I think this season has probably been far more educational for him than last.

Edit: just realised that Robinson has pretty strong ties to Luton. He made 185 appearances and also captained them.

Edited by capt_oats

Fair play to Robinson because he's said that we don't have the quality up front. I also thought it was pretty telling that he publicly had a go at Main after his idiotic red card. It's been clear to see that Main's frustrated at not scoring but he's not exactly channeling that in a constructive manner. He did give us one of the most enjoyable moments of last year when he kicked Kari Arnasson and Scott McKenna around Hampden like an empty fag packet but I've kind of had enough now. 

For me, with Bowman already having one foot out the door I'd say -

Curtis Main -  Can't underestimate the impact his purple patch had for us last season, with both Bowman/Fisher failing to step up in Moult's absence we were hovering dangerously just above the play-off spot when he came in. Fair to say although he's not as good as we all first thought, some of the stuff that's been said about him this season has been way over the top for me. However the goals have dried up and I agree he's cut a frustrated figure this season, culminating in his daft red card last week. All things considered I'd say he's been a very decent signing for the most part, however I'd be quite happy to shake hands and call it a day here.

Connor Sammon-  Didn't make sense at the time and like a lot of Robinson's signings this summer(ATS, Donnelly, Rodriguez-Gorrin etc) it's hard to believe we'd have been a great deal worse off this season without him. I do feel sorry for the guy though, getting booed onto the pitch is poor chat and some folk have had it in for him before he even kicked a ball for us. Regardless of what you think of the guy, he comes across as a thoroughly decent professional and doesn't deserve that. Thought he put a reasonable shift in again yesterday and actually done more than Johnson, however I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if that was his last game for us.  

Danny Johnson - Definite keep for me. Understand where @well fan for life was coming from, his all round play has been poor and when he isn't scoring it feels like he isn't exactly contributing a great deal. However 8 goals in 13 starts can't be ignored or underestimated and you've got a better chance of improving Johnson's all round play than turning a Bowman or Main into a goalscorer. Whilst he might not be Louis Moult, remember Moult was playing alongside the excellent McDonald which would have been invaluable to his education/development just like it was for Lee Erwin. I still don't really believe the McCormack stuff but that's exactly the type of player Johnson could learn so much from. 

Basically I'd be quite happy to bin at least one(if not both) of Main and Sammon along with Bowman, try to roll the money together and get in someone with a bit more quality(easier said than done right enough). Also be interesting to see also if Frear's performance yesterday changes Robinson's outlook on needing at least 2 wingers, especially with Hastie coming back as well.

To be fair Robinson did admit post match his regular formation wouldn't get the best out of Frear, he did also seem to hint that perhaps he might be looking to change his set up going forward if he could the quality in he wanted in January.  Quite looking forward to seeing what happens cause to be honest, it's been a real tough watch at times so far this season for the and it definitely does need changing.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Basically I'd be quite happy to bin at least one(if not both) of Main and Sammon along with Bowman, try to roll the money together and get in someone with a bit more quality(easier said than done right enough). 

If the money could be used to get someone with pace (and can play football to a basic standard unlike the competition winner) - that would be grand....

18 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The usually absolutely spot on Alan Nixon has you guys are in for Josh Tymon. He's said so in response to a Villa supporter asking if they're in for him.

A 19 year old left back currently playing for Stoke.

I saw that mentioned on Twitter by a Stoke fan yesterday.

Started at Hull, moved to Stoke on a 5 year deal.

Edited by capt_oats

Whilst singing an actual left back would be nice and while the boy may be talented, I’d still rather give Livingstone a shot there than develop someone else’s youngster for 6 months. It’s simply a short term solution for a long term problem. 

In other youth development news, it looks like Stuart Mckinstry is about to leave us to join Leeds. Shame, as the boys a proper ‘Well fan as well as a real talent. Had heard he was on the radar of a few clubs down South, did wonder if Robinson including him in the first team squad last week was part of an attempt to convince him to stay.

My take on the left back thing is that it probably means cheerio for ATS. So it'd be between Livingstone and Tymon (should he sign) for the left back spot (with Tait as a senior last resort option). I'm assuming that if it's a loan our outlay in wages may be minimal so it may be the case that if we're able to patch ATS then we might be able to maximise our budget.

I'm only going by that YouTube clip but Tymon looks like he ticks all the boxes in terms of physicality that Robinson was having a dig at Livingstone about post-Celtic.

Annoying about McKinstry purely because he's a 'well fan and is apparently pretty good that but realistically I can't envisage a point this season where we'd have chucked a 16 year old in. If he's getting the opportunity for him to head down to Leeds and we're getting compensated for it...c'est la vie. Can't really knock him or Motherwell for that IMO.

Edited by capt_oats