Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, nsr said:

Has any player ever left us at such an incredibly early stage of his career and gone on to better things in the medium or long term?

McClair, McFadden and McAllister were all 20 years old when they left us...Turnbull will be 20 in the Summer. From a financial point of view, Erwin most recently.

4 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

McClair, McFadden and McAllister were all 20 years old when they left us...Turnbull will be 20 in the Summer. From a financial point of view, Erwin most recently.

And he's still not learned.  Was finally getting settled again and playing well in the Killie team before leaving for the riches of fucking Iranian football where, to the shock of absolutely nae c*nt, he's bailed out after a few months.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

As much as a rebuilt Fir Park would be ideal, there's no way we can afford it.  The Main Stand is the big one, but the East Stand requires a wee bit of upkeep too I'd have thought (wasn't there also chat about how shoddily the South Stand was thrown up?)

The thing is though, if we build a new stadium, we'd have the money from the sale of the land at Fir Park to play with, along with potentially Government/Council assistance and even selling naming rights to the ground.  If we redo Fir Park, the funds would have to come from us alone, and we don't have that kind of money, or the fanbase like Hearts to assist with funding it.

It's a non-starter unfortunately. 

I do take O'Neills40Yarder's point though.  I've been a Motherwell boy all my life, so it's always been walkable.  It was 20 minutes away from the house I grew up in and it's now a 3 minute walk from where I live now.  Would I be discouraged if it was in Ravenscraig?  I wouldn't like to think so.  Would I be if it was a St. Mirren Park type effort.  Every chance.

How big does our main stand really need to be though? By rebuilding it, could we make it smaller, could we make it for hospitality and directors only? I don't know the answer to any of these things, I'm just thinking out loud. The selling of naming rights to the ground, to the new main stand could still be done at Fir Park. Could we sell the pitch at the back of the east stand, to a housing developer to help raise income, can we approach the local authority and allow them access to use the facilities in a new stand, if they participate in financing it. Accies seem to have a good relationship with SLC and other government bodies, why can't we with NLC? 

The East Stand, is what it is, I'd imagine it'll cost a bit here and there to upkeep, but I wouldn't imagine it'll be astronomical (apart from major works like re-roofing).

As far as I'm concerned, leaving Fir Park should be the last resort, not first choice. Ravenscraig (and really thats the only alternative location in the vicinity), is a soulless, desolate, windy place, I'm surprised people are buying houses on it to be honest.

6 minutes ago, Desp said:

And he's still not learned.  Was finally getting settled again and playing well in the Killie team before leaving for the riches of fucking Iranian football where, to the shock of absolutely nae c*nt, he's bailed out after a few months.

The question was who has went onto better things leaving Motherwell at an early age...from a financial point of view, and I know it for a fact, Lee Erwin most certainly did. 

Why he thought leaving Killie for Iran was a good idea, is an other discussion.

They'd all been established players for a lot longer hadn't they?

10 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

The question was who has went onto better things leaving Motherwell at an early age...from a financial point of view, and I know it for a fact, Lee Erwin most certainly did. 

Why he thought leaving Killie for Iran was a good idea, is an other discussion.

I have absolutely no doubt Lee Erwin has made plenty of cash from moving to Leeds and onto Iran.  If his plan in life was to become a wealthy man, then he's cracked it by the time he's in his mid 20s.  Good on him.

If he had a plan of becoming a successful footballer, he's currently pissing that up against the wall. 

40, 60, 70 appearances for Motherwell before they departed for Celtic, Everton and Leicester. Turnbull is currently on 15, with 21 league games still to play this season...and hopefully a wee cup run. I see where you're going with this though, and I totally understand the point of, stay, learn and develop a wee while longer, but the opportunity might never come up again, for a whole host of reasons

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

I have absolutely no doubt Lee Erwin has made plenty of cash from moving to Leeds and onto Iran.  If his plan in life was to become a wealthy man, then he's cracked it by the time he's in his mid 20s.  Good on him.

If he had a plan of becoming a successful footballer, he's currently pissing that up against the wall. 

Maybe he realises that hes just a run of the mill Scottish player, and he needs to seize the opportunities given to him.

Seriously though, the move to Leeds, was enough to make him settled for life...if he was careful with it. I said elsewhere, that if I was in Turnbulls advisors shoes, I wouldn't be absolutely certain on what the best course of action was, I'm not sure how good the lad actually is for starters, he does some lovely stuff on the ball, and has turned into a bit of an athlete as well, but I've yet to see him really take a game by the baws and run it. Erwin on the other hand, I'd have been dragging him down to Elland Road by his writing hand, a good player at our level, but getting offered a contract like that had to be taken.

30 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Anyone see Paul Slane on Si Ferry’s Christmas opengoal thing? 

f**k...ing...hell

Yup, definitely something wrong with him!

So I'm throwing a punt out here on the off-chance it happens and I can go "SEE!!"

Robinson saying we'd be surprised who there's interest in for the January window...

A-Rod doing the Pre-Celtic video...

Literally no-one being able to understand or explain why A-Rod was mysteriously and randomly hyped up on Sportscene for absolutely no reason.

Were our collective "what the f**k are you on about?"s to Michael Stewart and Steven Thompson, actually them having been asked to do us a wee media PR favour?

Bids for A-Rod incoming....you heard it here first.

On Turnbull, I don't think it's totally black and white when it comes to young guys fucking off to England as soon as they get the chance.  There's obviously dozens of Islam Feruzs and Robbie Leitchs who either get swallowed up or end up back in Scotland at a worse level than they started, but there's probably just as many boys who never quite make that big move and end up jobbing around the Scottish top flight forever. Ryan Fraser went to Bournemouth after 20 odd games and has obviously excelled since. 

The end results vary massively depending on the individual players and clubs involved, but even guys like Erwin and Matty Kennedy have came back to Scotland a lot richer and found a top flight club no bother.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Oh, and I'm absolutley willing to crowdfund Paul Slane as a 100% patter signing this January if anyone else wants to contribute.

Listened to him on the si ferry podcast a few months ago, the man is batshit crazy. Couldnt help but feel sorry for him though that injuries robbed him of any sort of career.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Couldnt help but feel sorry for him though that injuries robbed him of any sort of career.

A lack of brain cells also contributed a fair amount to that.

From the esteemed organ The Alloa Advertiser:

JAKE HASTIE is to return to his parent club Motherwell next month after Fir Park bosses decided against extending his loan spell.

The winger has proven a hit in Clackmannanshire and turned out 21 times for Jim Goodwin's Alloa.

But, after talks between the Wasps' and the Scottish Premiership side, Hastie's six month loan spell will not be extended until the end of the season.

As a result, he is set to play his final game for the Wee County side at home to Dundee United on December 29.

Speaking exclusively to Advertiser Sport, the 19-year-old insisted he couldn't be more thankful for everything the club had done for him in the time.

He said: "I have absolutely loved every minute of it here at Alloa. From the minute I came to the club, the boys, the staff and especially the fans have been brilliant with me.

"I'd have loved to have stayed, but obviously when my parent club call me back and I want to push myself it was a no brainer.

"When I spoke to Jim Goodwin he was delighted for me as well. I just can't thank him enough for what he has done for me during my time here."

Edited by capt_oats