Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Does most of his work for the team off the ball.  The moonunits on Steelmen Online and a selection of gents in the Hunter Stand will he happy with this news. 

The reality is he'll be missed.  Can't begrudge him his move though, we all knew he was heading back to North America at some point. 

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

I like to think I’m relatively knowledgeable about football but what the jumping fresh f**k does that paragraph about a trade window mean!?

This is what happens when US Sports meets the rest of the world- usually all this stuff happens in irrelevant shite like "baseball" and nobody notices.

14 hours ago, Desp said:

Does most of his work for the team off the ball.  The moonunits on Steelmen Online and a selection of gents in the Hunter Stand will he happy with this news. 

The reality is he'll be missed.  Can't begrudge him his move though, we all knew he was heading back to North America at some point. 

Whilst I largely agree, has he done a great deal this season to suggest he’ll actually be missed?

He’s been injured for a large chunk of it and has only started 3 games since September- Saturday’s defeat there and the 2 awful back to back performances at home to Livingston and St Johnstone. 

As I said I like Rose and whilst he wouldn’t be on my list to get rid of by any means, in terms of freeing up(I’d imagine) a decent wage against contribution I’d say he’s fairly expendable based on the season so far. 

Edited by Casagolda

45 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Whilst I largely agree, has he done a great deal this season to suggest he’ll actually be missed?

He’s been injured for a large chunk of it and has only started 3 games since September- Saturday’s defeat there and the 2 awful back to back performances at home to Livingston and St Johnstone. 

As I said I like Rose and whilst he wouldn’t be on my list to get rid of by any means, in terms of freeing up(I’d imagine) a decent wage against contribution I’d say he’s fairly expendable based on the season so far. 

That's probably fair comment. Without diminishing or cheapening what Rose brings to the team our best performances ('footballing' or otherwise) this season have been when we've had 3 of Turnbull, McHugh, Campbell or Bigi on the park.

The 'Caps manager breaks down Rose pretty well in the wee video that's up on their Twitter (from 1min 26).

He'll be missed in so much as he's a pretty efficient player with a specific skillset and doesn't really get the credit he deserves but I'm not actually sure that our first pick midfield 3 would include him at the moment with Turnbull having stepped up. 

I doubt it's by design and more down to the fact that Rose has been keen to get back to MLS and is one of our players who's attractive to other teams but it's interesting to me that the first squad member moving on in January is in an area where most of us have felt we're pretty over subscribed.

Still absolutely mental that Robinson was talking about Rose as an attacking midfielder when he signed mind.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

We've had more out of Rose than I think anyone really anticipated when he signed. 

Fair fucks to him, he's been a delight, by all accounts, and a very useful body around. Hopefully he gets a decent farewell.

When he signed I thought we'd just signed another Craig Clay (and I fucking hated Craig Clay). But he's been a good player to have around the club and has put in some performances in big games for us. When we demolished Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup semi last year I thought he was absolutely class at the base of midfield. I don't think this move back to MLS is a surprise to anyone since his family are from over there so fair play to him. 

He's probably surplus to requirements now as we have a whole load of midfielders anyway. 

44 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've still no idea what country he's supposed to be from. Is he Australian, English or American?

Born in Melbourne, holds a UK passport and has a US green card.  So think that make the answer d) all of the above.

Best of luck to Andy Rose in his new challenge. He wasn't the best but he certainly wasn't the worst from this current crop either and did a decent job of 'doing the donkey work' in the middle of the park whenever called upon, especially last season. Looking at our squad and at his position, I dont see anyone who stands out as being better to be honest.

I see Robinson's pretty much confirmed that Hastie's back for the first team in January:

“There are people we’ve got our eye on that we feel can add a little bit of pace and energy up top and in wide areas.

“I’m well aware we’re short of wide players. We’ve got Jake Hastie coming back from loan that has done very well at Alloa and they’ve done well for him, so that’s like signing a new player.

“We will freshen it up. If the possibility comes to get a couple of players out and a couple of players in to freshen the squad up, then we’ll take the opportunity to do that.”

Link.

He had been a bit more non-committal when he spoke to STV the other week and said we "may" look at bringing him back. Cliché as it is the "it's like signing a new player" chat seems far more definite.

Edited by capt_oats

Good to see he knows where we need to strengthen, bizarre that apparently Rose's wage being freed up won't impact his budget. Noticed he wasn't even on the bench today, wonder if he's played his last game?

I said January would be a big month for Robinson but today's result, provided we follow it up with another big one at home to St.Mirren next week, has the potential to ease the pressure on him somewhat and not force him into any rash decisions- like signing more average dross just for the sake of it.

Although to give Robinson his due this time last year he went out and signed Aldred, Main and big Nadz who played a big part in turning our season around after a disastrous December. Could really do with a couple of similar shrewd bits of business this time round, no point just adding more bodies to the squad for the sake of it.

Also Gillespie and Johnson both proving their worth again today, just to show that despite our protestations as fans, the Summer business wasn't a complete disaster.

Edited by Casagolda

8 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Also Gillespie and Johnson both proving their worth again today, just to show that despite our protestations as fans, the Summer business wasn't a complete disaster.

To be fair, neither were getting much game time until very recently. Carson was the first choice so Gillespie wasn't getting a look in and for whatever reason, Robinson preferred Main & Bowman to Johnson from the beginning of September until mid November so the protestations over the summer transfer business were(and still are) completely justified. I think in the case of Gillespie, he was signed on the belief that Carson would be sold before the end of the summer transfer window so his signing was understandable in that respect, but with Johnson benched in favour of a failing partnership and the signings of Sammon and Gorrin who offer little then the support were right to.question our transfer dealings.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Good to see he knows where we need to strengthen, bizarre that apparently Rose's wage being freed up won't impact his budget. Noticed he wasn't even on the bench today, wonder if he's played his last game?

I said January would be a big month for Robinson but today's result, provided we follow it up with another big one at home to St.Mirren next week, has the potential to ease the pressure on him somewhat and not force him into any rash decisions- like signing more average dross just for the sake of it.

Although to give Robinson his due this time last year he went out and signed Aldred, Main and big Nadz who played a big part in turning our season around after a disastrous December. Could really do with a couple of similar shrewd bits of business this time round, no point just adding more bodies to the squad for the sake of it.

Agree that the bit about the Rose wage not impacting his budget just sounds weird. Then again after the media coverage of our record profit and turnover I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson's keen to play down any ideas that we're flush with cash. It's been a pretty consistent narrative in that respect; we don't pay big wages, budget, blah.

I get that it's fairly common for players to sign PCAs and continue to play for their current club but I wouldn't be surprised if Rose's appearances are limited between now and the break. I noted Robinson was fulsome in his praise of McHugh in his post-match interview earlier.

Genuinely interested to see who we're interested in for January, from the way Robinson's been talking it sounds like he's on the same page as a lot of us on here in terms of what we actually need. How that translates into who we can actually get ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  Do we step away from the general template we seem to have had for bringing players in (20-24, with a view to selling on), do we go for a few loans 'til the end of the season etc? 

It definitely feels like his chat about promoting u20s to the first team squad would be that bit easier to implement if he's got a bit of breathing room between us and the bottom 3.

We're running with a 24 man first team squad (Turnbull actually makes it 25 I guess) so the whole thing about him needing to move players out before he can sign others seems reasonable. You'd think that budget-wise if we're looking to bring in players to drop into the first XI then it'll need to be first team squad players we'll need to move on (which in fairness is what Robinson's said he wants to do).