Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, Swello said:

Has he actually signed for anyone or is he in his flat in his pants watching box sets and eating Turkish Delight?

Doesn't look like it. Surely he can be convinced to spend a season in Lanarkshire. I'll take him for a Ferno and a day out to M&D's.

38 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I I actually think Sammon will do a good job for us and maybe by the end of the transfer window Bowman may have moved on if there is any more interest in him.  I like Bowman but Sammon is in theory an upgrade. Who knew he has had 9 caps for Republic of Ireland ! 

Giovanni Trappatoni was a fan apparently...

Trapattoni backs Sammon to be a success

Premier League Quality

Also I hate to be the one to break it you boys,  however the bold Nadir is away back to Turkey.

35343396_215293652622867_468254301019229

Signed for some team I’m not even going to try and spell the name of.

So he’s not coming back..

480574056-1206x602.jpg

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

I have seen the friendlies at Darlington and Dunfermline. Difficult one to answer. Guess it depends on the opposition. 

I have been reasonably impressed by Danny Johnson. A very good goal at Darlington. We know what we get with Bowman. It depends on how Sammon fits in. 

At least we have options. End of last season it was Main and Bowman pretty much with Ciftci as back up.

I actually think Sammon will do a good job for us and maybe by the end of the transfer window Bowman may have moved on if there is any more interest in him.  I like Bowman but Sammon is in theory an upgrade. Who knew he has had 9 caps for Republic of Ireland

Quite sensational quote from Trapattoni at the time (I see @Casagolda linked to other articles too):

"For example, Conor Sammon, Hendrick, they play Championship, and I have to ask why when I see the games in the Premier League and the way they play with us. Quality is quality."

Not to be climbing all aboard the Conor Sammon Hype Train but the Bowman comparison is an interesting one.

Motherwell is the highest level Bowman's played at, the rest of his career has been the lower leagues in England. The majority of which has been Conference and League 2 level. Sammon's not only played international football but (remarkably) spent 2 seasons in the actual EPL (32 appearances) and 4 seasons in the Championship (117 appearances).

Spoiler

"Quality is quality."

inpho_00733272.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

As @thisGRAEME says Sammon is an upgrade of sorts. When you think last season we had Main, Bowman, Ciftci (when fit), perma-crock Newell and Petracompetitionwinner it wasn't exactly a wealth of goals. Who knows, maybe playing in a team of total hammer throwers is how you get the best out of Sammon.

There are two points here I guess. Some people think that Sammon is shite full stop. If you only based it on times he played against us, I could have sympathy with that view, even if I don't share it. He's got the chance to prove those people wrong no bother as plenty of players have done in the past and so I don't really see this as a big problem as it could be solved tonight if he rattles a couple in.

The other point where there is a bit of negativity/concern is that whilst Sammon may be decent enough, he's too similar to what we have and that we missed a chance to get a different type of player in to avoid being predictable (as playing teams 3/4/5 times a season really magnifies this problem). I'm in this camp at the moment - and if these fears turn out to be true, it will be January before we can do anything about it.

Was it Wigan he was with? He was getting rave reviews for doing the donkey work and being a physical presence for them albeit not scoring many goals.

I think he’s just getting a rough time for the fact we know who he is. If he was an unknown from the English lower leagues we would be a bit more enthusiastic about it.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

The other point where there is a bit of negativity/concern is that whilst Sammon may be decent enough, he's too similar to what we have and that we missed a chance to get a different type of player in to avoid being predictable (as playing teams 3/4/5 times a season really magnifies this problem). I'm in this camp at the moment - and if these fears turn out to be true, it will be January before we can do anything about it.

Agree with this, it's the part I had a problem getting my head round yesterday when the signing was announced. Even more so with Sammon saying himself that we've got a load of similar forwards.

Having said that, and as much of a cop out as this is, it really depends on who else we've been in for, who's knocked us back and who our realistic options have been.  The window's been open since the start of June so not to disrespect the big man but I'd be surprised if getting Sammon in on a season loan was the first move we've made for a striker. It may well be the case that we've approached different types of forwards and just ended up having to settle for someone who's likely to be a decent fit for our style of play and represents a low risk if we've got a decent deal off Hearts as far as his wage goes.

That clearly doesn't change the fact that the make up of our strikers is pretty same-y but as thisGRAEME said it's still an upgrade of sorts.

Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, Desp said:

Having not seen any of the pre-season games, who do you think will be favourite to start alongside Main?  Sammon/Bowman/Johnson?

I've only saw highlights so not a lot to go on but I'd imagine Main will be the target man with Johnson the goalscorer.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'd have been upset if the Pars had signed Sammon so you boys have my deepest sympathies.

He's fucking brutal and if he gets double figures then the league must be an utterly dreadful standard.

Are you lost? 

2 hours ago, Mpire said:

Don't know how he is still a footballer at SPL level.

He isn't.  He is a footballer at Premiership level.  

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

Looks v smart....but have we never done this before? (I've never been a strip obsessive :)

Not since modernisation.  Burrows goes into further that we had to request (not for the first time) bespoke numbering going back to the days of the SPL but this is the first time it has been accepted.