Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

He had, what, a six month purple patch at Killie which got him a move down to England.  And let's be honest, that was 99% down to Alexei Emerenko putting the ball on a plate for him time and time again.  He's not done anything of note at any other club he's been at. 

I can't see him contributing more than the five or six goals that Bowman will bring off the bench. 

Get this idea in the fucking sea.

59 minutes ago, Desp said:

MOTHERWELL are on the verge of signing Conor Sammon.

Fir Park boss Stephen Robinson revealed on Monday morning he was close to bringing in a striker.

SunSport understands Hearts hitman Sammon is currently locked in talks about a move to Well.

Sammon, 31, is back at Tynecastle after spending last season on loan at Partick Thistle.

But the Republic of Ireland cap has been told he can leave Hearts – and Robinson has made an approach.

Sammon has played for ten clubs in a long career – including spells at Wigan, Derby County and Ipswich.

giphy.gif

Edited by Swello

Signing Sammon would put an end to this idea of having a pacey forward who could play wide then... bit of a far cry from the time when some on steelmen online thought we were getting both of O’Halloran and Ciftci...

The odd one about this is that he is not in any sense someone that fits the profile that we have been trying to get in. He's 31, so older than the squad average by some distance, his career has clearly peaked (and he doesn't even fit into the "aging classy player" bracket) and you would imagine that he has absolutely no re-sale value. He seems to be similar to what we have and won't enhance us in the wide area where we are weakest or add any much needed pace.

If we are going to go for another big striker off the bench - get James Scott in there and see what he's made of - as he looks promising and it would be infuriating if he was kept off the bench by a journeyman (and given his age, would be one of our better paid players).

*Really* baffling one if true....

Edited by Swello

1 hour ago, rambunctious said:

Suffering f**k.

That would be a shocker of a signing. Up there with Gerry Britton and Callum Elliot. 

We need a forward with a bit of pace and that can score goals and Connor fucking Sammon does not fit this bill.

After making some great forward strides last season in regards to making shrewder, younger acquisitions, this I fear is a step back.

How on earth do you go from looking at a pacey forward who can also play out wide last week, to signing Connor Sammon?
Bizarre signing, which doesn’t make sense whatever way you look at it.

He is quick tbf.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

He had, what, a six month purple patch at Killie which got him a move down to England.  And let's be honest, that was 99% down to Alexei Emerenko putting the ball on a plate for him time and time again.  He's not done anything of note at any other club he's been at. 

I can't see him contributing more than the five or six goals that Bowman will bring off the bench. 

Get this idea in the fucking sea.

He's more of a freshwater kind of a guy

Sammon certainly fits the physical profile of the strikers that Robinson appears to like. He's a big unit, strong and I didn't quite appreciate how blisteringly quick he could be until we signed him. 

However, he is probably far more suited to the English lower leagues where they place more value on a player's ability to play 40 or 50 games per season rather than whether they are necessarily any good.

What I would say though - and this is something that Robbie Neilson mentioned on the radio too - is that you'll only see the best of Sammon in a front two. There's a tendency to look at his physical attributes and shunt him up top himself; that's certainly what we did for large spells last year, much to the detriment of our style of play. If Robinson continues with two strikers then he might turn out to be a decent signing.

EDIT: the Motherwell website team were obviously expecting a rather underwhelming reception to the signing as they desperately try to justify his scoring rate in comparison to former strikers. :lol:

Edited by Armand 2

Just when I thought Aaron Taylor-Sinclair had the worst signature I've ever seen, up steps Connor Sammon.  Not far off just scribbling a big fucking X. 

Unless we're signing Alexei Eremenko to play in behind him, I have no idea why we've done this. 

1 minute ago, nsr said:

He reminds me of one of those incredibly annoying players in FM who will score goals for fun against you but never for you.

**Alex Burns likes this**

In other news, Andy Rose is no longer the bookies favourite to be the 2018/19 top target of the East Stand boo-boys.

2 minutes ago, nsr said:

He reminds me of one of those incredibly annoying players in FM who will score goals for fun against you but never for you.

Has scored once against us, so this is a good omen.