Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

26 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I like Bowman but he should be 4th choice. I’d take any 6 figure offer tbh.

He should be 4th choice if the other 3 strikers are fit and better than him. Right now I would say based on pre season Main has been no better. I keep reading that the gaffer still wants to bring in another Striker but not sure if that is based on anyone leaving ? Tanner still has a couple of months I believe before he could be considered for a start. 

5 figures means SFA to us and Bowman is worth more to us as an option even from the bench. I would gladly keep him for the season and let him go at the end of his contract than take a derisory sum. 

11 hours ago, Mitch said:

Club 100 is on the corner opposite the ticket office. Would expect them to be away fan friendly for this match.
Better selection of beer than The Cooper.

I suspect Edinburgh City fans would like to see around Fir Park than go to another pub as they can do that any time anywhere. 

38 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I suspect Edinburgh City fans would like to see around Fir Park than go to another pub as they can do that any time anywhere. 

They'll be sitting in bucket seats in a 50+ year old stand, I'd imagine they'll refrain from pishing themselves in excitement.  Still, nice of you to really patronise the Edinburgh City fans.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Motherwell reject Ryan Bowman bid

I mean I quite like Bowman but with 9 league goals in 2 seasons, he wasn’t exactly a player I thought we’d be getting offered money for this summer. 

Wonder what we’d even value Bowman at? Probably too much for a club like Grimsby to make it worth our while I suppose.

100% didn't expect to open my Twitter feed this morning and read about us knocking back a bid for big Herbalife. This time last season we were apparently actively trying to get shot of him now we're chucking out offers for him.

With Robinson having said he still thinks we're short up front it seems evident that he's wanting to run with 4 first team centre forwards. In that respect, given Bowman's patchy goalscoring record I'd kind of expect him to be either 3rd or 4th choice. He's a good option off the bench and can hold his own if he needs to start but I wouldn't want to be relying on him as a main striker for a full season.

If the report is correct and it's a "5 figure bid" we've kb'd then that seems understandable as it's hardly worth the hassle of trying to replace him for that sort of money. Even more so given the cut that goes to servicing the Hutchison/Boyle debt. In terms of what we value him at I'd have thought we'd probably be open to having a conversation at around £200k-ish.

Robinson was talking in the press about how every player at Motherwell is for sale if we get an offer that matches our value so it'll be interesting to see whether we've left the door open for another bid.

Edit: Robinson saying that he hopes to sign a new striker by the end of the day. Exciting times...

Edited by capt_oats

30 minutes ago, Desp said:

They'll be sitting in bucket seats in a 50+ year old stand, I'd imagine they'll refrain from pishing themselves in excitement.  Still, nice of you to really patronise the Edinburgh City fans.

That was not my intention but feel free to make up that sh1te.  How many of them have been to Fir Park before ?  Might not be the San Siro but it is not stretching it to say they may rather have a pint in the Cooper stand at Fir Park than Club 100.  Just my thoughts and clearly encouraging away fans to drink and pay money to the club seems to have amused a few.  But hey ho no surprise really.  

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100% didn't expect to open my Twitter feed this morning and read about us knocking back a bid for big Herbalife. This time last season we were apparently actively trying to get shot of him now we're chucking out offers for him.

With Robinson having said he still thinks we're short up front it seems evident that he's wanting to run with 4 first team centre forwards. In that respect, given Bowman's patchy goalscoring record I'd kind of expect him to be either 3rd or 4th choice. He's a good option off the bench and can hold his own if he needs to start but I wouldn't want to be relying on him as a main striker for a full season.

If the report is correct and it's a "5 figure bid" we've kb'd then that seems understandable as it's hardly worth the hassle of trying to replace him for that sort of money. Even more so given the cut that goes to servicing the Hutchison/Boyle debt. In terms of what we value him at I'd have thought we'd probably be open to having a conversation at around £200k-ish.

Robinson was talking in the press about how every player at Motherwell is for sale if we get an offer that matches our value so it'll be interesting to see whether we've left the door open for another bid.

Edit: Robinson saying that he hopes to sign a new striker by the end of the day. Exciting times...

In  the position that Bowman occupies in the squad (ie - not a first choice striker when all fit) - it would be a needless risk to sell him with a year on his deal. We are all fully aware of his strengths and weaknesses by now and know what he offers. In looking round the bargain basement, we'd have as much as chance of getting a Wes Fletcher, Jacob Blyth or Theo Robinson as we would getting someone who makes a positive contribution (as Bowman has undoubtedly done).

Still - it gives us another chance to broadcast the "no-one leaves on the cheap" mantra - which can only be a good thing. 

There’s a post on Twitter this morning showing that a return from Glasgow to Stranraer on Saturday is £20 cheaper than doing it Motherwell to Stranraer. Know that quite often that’s the case, just in case anyone wasn’t aware though...

The Cooper Suite is the most un-pub like pub in the world, it's generally 112 degrees in there and it takes 20 minutes to get served if it's within an hour of kick-off.  It's like having a pint in a school dinner hall.

No thank you.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

In  the position that Bowman occupies in the squad (ie - not a first choice striker when all fit) - it would be a needless risk to sell him with a year on his deal. We are all fully aware of his strengths and weaknesses by now and know what he offers. In looking round the bargain basement, we'd have as much as chance of getting a Wes Fletcher, Jacob Blyth or Theo Robinson as we would getting someone who makes a positive contribution (as Bowman has undoubtedly done).

Still - it gives us another chance to broadcast the "no-one leaves on the cheap" mantra - which can only be a good thing. 

Aye the other thing is that depending on who this mystery striker is that we're apparently bringing in it may well cement squad roles further. If we were to shift Bowman on then trying to pitch 3rd/4th choice striker at Motherwell is a pretty tough sell IMO. Especially on our budget it's not like the wages we're going to be paying are likely to incentivise someone to come to sit on the bench at FP.

As far as the new striker that's apparently imminent goes it all seems a bit weird. We've made it known for weeks that we've been interested in a striker but I can't recall seeing many links as to who it is we're looking to bring in beyond some terrible shouts on Steelmen Online.

We're not really in the business of marquee signings and we generally keep things relatively close to our chest these days so I get that we're not going to be a priority in terms of column inches but even the Danny Johnson deal was leaked a few days ahead of him signing. Robinson's just done a presser and still it's a case of "Motherwell close in on striker", obviously we'll find out soon enough but it's a bit odd that nothing's leaked as yet.

Curious to find out who it is and how close he is to Robinson's 'striker who can play wide' criteria. Also, I've said as often on here that we could really do with a bit more quality up front so again it'll be interesting to see if that's what we're getting or if it's another competition winner.

Edited by capt_oats

Guest Landan Spiv

We'll just got to a place which your club will benefit financially from. We'd like that if it was away fans coming to us. Cooper Suite it is then. Looking forward to our trip to Fir Park. Never seen City away at a premier division club before, we played your colts a couple of years ago in the irn bru Cup but hardly anyone went over. I'll be happy if we score, none of us are expecting any sort of result at all we're not Clyde fans who have this sense of entitlement. Just there to enjoy the occasion and hopefully a couple of beers time permitting. 

I'm sure that people from that well-known provincial backwater of Edinburgh will be amazed and astounded by the bright lights and sights of the utopian paradise that is Motherwell.

Edited by nsr

MOTHERWELL are on the verge of signing Conor Sammon.

Fir Park boss Stephen Robinson revealed on Monday morning he was close to bringing in a striker.

SunSport understands Hearts hitman Sammon is currently locked in talks about a move to Well.

Sammon, 31, is back at Tynecastle after spending last season on loan at Partick Thistle.

But the Republic of Ireland cap has been told he can leave Hearts – and Robinson has made an approach.

Sammon has played for ten clubs in a long career – including spells at Wigan, Derby County and Ipswich.

Think I'd have preferred Kenny Miller, tbh.

You'll be knocking back bids left right and centre for Sammon next summer no doubt.

Scored quite a few goals for a dire Thistle side last season and his style of play would suit Motherwell IMO - I think this could prove to be a shrewd signing.

Edit: he also gave us this moment;

Image result for conor sammon pizza

Edited by Kyle