Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

My money would have been on Frear but I don’t think he’ll start often enough to be the top target for the roasters.

Got a feeling ATS will need a good start to avoid the wrath.

Andy you used to be such a happy chap.

Now on this and other social platforms you spend an awful lot of time moaning about other Motherwell fans who are moaning or complaining about things.

Don’t get me wrong some of your gripes are pretty spot on (aka strip moans) but still seems to be pretty consistent at the moment.

Chin up mate. Let’s at least wait till the season starts to have a go at the rest of the support.

Once that happens and the Robbo out thread resurfaces I’ll happily join you.

Sentimentalism be damned, McHugh is the worst player in the starting XI by a distance and replacing him is key to making any kind of stride forward.

If they need to put out a sad piano music article, fine, but the guy is slow as treacle, rash in the tackle and rivals Charles Dunne as the worst passer of a ball I've ever seen. 

Andy you used to be such a happy chap.

Now on this and other social platforms you spend an awful lot of time moaning about other Motherwell fans who are moaning or complaining about things.

Don’t get me wrong some of your gripes are pretty spot on (aka strip moans) but still seems to be pretty consistent at the moment.

Chin up mate. Let’s at least wait till the season starts to have a go at the rest of the support.

Once that happens and the Robbo out thread resurfaces I’ll happily join you.

Haha! It’s certainly not something that’s been done on purpose.

I can’t remember having any gripes with ‘Well fans, even the strip thing I was more a bystander in it all.

But I’ll stick on positivity mode going forward.

11 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Sentimentalism be damned, McHugh is the worst player in the starting XI by a distance and replacing him is key to making any kind of stride forward.

If they need to put out a sad piano music article, fine, but the guy is slow as treacle, rash in the tackle and rivals Charles Dunne as the worst passer of a ball I've ever seen. 

Your reputation as a football analyst took a fatal blow when you complained about Kipre getting a contract extension last September.  

3 hours ago, WellView said:

Your reputation as a football analyst took a fatal blow when you complained about Kipre getting a contract extension last September.  

Well just to be clear I was never against Kipre getting a contract extension, just not after 5 league matches or however many it was.  I don't think you can judge any player on that amount of football but especially one with zero professional experience in the game.

In reflection Kipre deserved it but he would still have deserved it a couple of months down the line and Motherwell would have had a better idea of the kind of player they were getting, with less attendant risk.  Perhaps we could then have given him the contract he ended the season on rather than the one we offered him in September and then improved again later.

Counterfactual of course, but a possibility back in September,  if Kipre hadn't worked we would have been stuck with a player on a longer contract that was a waste on resources, something that has happened on more than a few occasions in the past.  After all neither you nor I knew if Kipre would be some kind of 21st century Kevin McBride.

Anyway,  if you think that my opinion that we should wait and see for a few months before offering an improved contract to a player who had absolutely no track record in the game, was a 'fatal blow', fine, but I'd say you were depending a lot on hindsight and that my position remains mildly sensible and not something that 'reputations' live or die on.

We’ve literally just finished a season where we reached two cup finals and broke a club record for clean sheets- none of which would have been possible without McHugh.

Just think back to the League Cup semi final for example,  Moult grabbed most of the headlines however McHugh was absolutely immense that day. Fair few rabbits in the headlights first half and McHugh along with Hartley and Carson dragged the rest of them through to half time level. Not to mention his incredible 25 yard volley with his weaker foot against Hearts to dig us out a hole in the quarters of the Scottish Cup. Talk about a Captain stepping up when required. 

Or the numerous other games over the course of the season when we under the cosh where the guy was putting his body on the line winning headers, making blocks and breaking up countless attacks to get us over the line.

Aye his distribution was poor last season and he certainly didn’t live up to our expectations based on his end to the previous season, however to marginalise the guys contribution to our achievements last season cause of a few poor games and some stray passes is laughable. 

Edited by Casagolda

57 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

In reflection Kipre deserved it but he would still have deserved it a couple of months down the line and Motherwell would have had a better idea of the kind of player they were getting, with less attendant risk.  Perhaps we could then have given him the contract he ended the season on rather than the one we offered him in September and then improved again later.

giphy.gif

You'll dig your way out of this hole in no time, keep it up!

7 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

We’ve literally just finished a season where we reached two cup finals and broke a club record for clean sheets- none of which would have been possible without McHugh.

Just think back to the League Cup semi final for example,  Moult grabbed most of the headlines however McHugh was absolutely immense that day. Fair few rabbits in the headlights first half and McHugh along with Hartley and Carson dragged the rest of them through to half time level. Not to mention his incredible 25 yard volley with his weaker foot against Hearts to dig us out a hole in the quarters of the Scottish Cup. Talk about a Captain stepping up when required. 

Or the numerous other games over the course of the season when we under the cosh where the guy was putting his body on the line winning headers, making blocks and breaking up countless attacks to get us over the line.

Aye his distribution was poor last season and he certainly didn’t live up to our expectations based on his end to the previous season, however to marginalise the guys contribution to our achievements last season cause of a few poor games and some stray passes is laughable. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

I think McHugh got a rough as f**k ride from a lot of the support. Although he was never the obvious stand out I can't disagree with this.

Good luck figuring that team out.
I'll guess;
Back three, donnelly, mchugh, dunne.
Tait and frear wingbacks.
Campbell, rose and cadden as a midfield three.
Bowman and main?

That’s pretty much how I’m reading it.

Alternative would be:

Gillespie
Tait Donnelly McHugh Dunne
Cadden Campbell Rose Frear
Main Bowman

Maybe?

Either way it seems McHugh as a centre half is now a thing. Which is an interesting development.

He’s looked very assured in the first 45, albeit Dunfermline have rarely threatened. He got clattered just before half time and there seemed to be a bit of concern that he’d not be able to continue, but he played out the last few minutes without any issues.

Plenty of chances and some nice build up, hopefully we’ll stick a few in the net in the second 45.

Just now, AndyRoss said:

He’s looked very assured in the first 45, albeit Dunfermline have rarely threatened. He got clattered just before half time and there seemed to be a bit of concern that he’d not be able to continue, but he played out the last few minutes without any issues.

Plenty of chances and some nice build up, hopefully we’ll stick a few in the net in the second 45.

Back 3 or back 4?

Second half was broken up quite badly by the subs. We used 21 players over the course of the 90.

No real stand outs, but by the same token there wasn’t anyone in a ‘Well shirt I thought was poor either - Tuesday will be a better gauge.

Rodriguez showed some nice touches, but on one instance was caught dithering.

Johnson looks very industrious and had a few decent chances as did Main.

Gillespie in goal had next to nothing to do until making a brilliant save with 15 mins left.

Bring on Tuesday.