Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's some negotiation tactic like. "Give us your best player and all your money for Dom Thomas"

If Alex McLeish had been Killie manager, that would have worked.

1 hour ago, rambunctious said:

I’m sure someone else was shouting we should loan Campbell to Newcastle who would then promptly bid £5mil to keep him permanently! emoji28.png

Har har, you're hilarious.  Campbell is the only potential premiership level player we have at our club.   I predict you'll see him at a premiership club within two years max, and he will be a five million pound player in his career.  

I also reckon he'll be played further up the pitch this season.   

IMO,  the best player we have produced since McFadden. Better than Pearson, McCulloch and McMillan. 

More Irish Thunderdome footage...

Interesting (and pleasing) to see a few of the u20s who had been linked with loan moves a couple of weeks back (Hastie and Newell) are away on the training camp. Some amount of golf going on from the looks of the Insta stories as well.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, WellView said:

IMO,  the best player we have produced since McFadden. Better than Pearson, McCulloch and McMillan. 

Unless I am missing something here, McCulloch and McMillan were both before McFadden, and Pearson came through round about the same time.

7 hours ago, nsr said:

Unless I am missing something here, McCulloch and McMillan were both before McFadden, and Pearson came through round about the same time.

Correct - I am referring to players brought through at Motherwell who went on to play in the English Premiership.  I look at the Premiership as two eras,  Pre-Sky, and post-SKY TV.  

We've had very few players that have come through our youth development and went on to play in the post-SKY English Premiership.  McClair & McCallister were pre-SKY, a different generation. 

In the case of our current young players it's far too early to say. For me, McFadden for whatever reason never managed to reach the heights I reckon he would have been capable of.

It's good to see the fans not putting too much pressure on Campbell.  That's the main thing. 

Also, the golf stories on Instagram.  Not seen them, are we talking Golf Golf or FootGolf?

It's good to see the fans not putting too much pressure on Campbell.  That's the main thing. 
Also, the golf stories on Instagram.  Not seen them, are we talking Golf Golf or FootGolf?

Actual golf golf. Important distinction to make I know.
From the ones I’ve seen Tait, Cadden, Grimshaw, and Dunne they all love a bit of it.

In the case of our current young players it's far too early to say. For me, McFadden for whatever reason never managed to reach the heights I reckon he would have been capable of.

McFadden left too early and was misused by moyes. The talent was there it just needed nurtured a bit more but we really needed the cash.

McFadden had a very good career for the talent he had.  Injuries just made it that wee bit shorter.

He never had the pace or power to really make it down in England at that time.   Other than the injuries, I doubt he'd have many regrets over his career.

Daily Record reporting Wigan Athletic and Millwall are in for Cadden, opening bids of £500K  Says we are looking for a million.  IMO, he's a limited player and I can't see a million pounds in him.  Splitting the difference would be good business for the club.  

21 minutes ago, WellView said:

Daily Record reporting Wigan Athletic and Millwall are in for Cadden, opening bids of £500K  Says we are looking for a million.  IMO, he's a limited player and I can't see a million pounds in him.  Splitting the difference would be good business for the club.  

Surely a better idea would be to send him on loan to someone like Bournemouth then we can sell him to them next summer for £10m?

13 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Surely a better idea would be to send him on loan to someone like Bournemouth then we can sell him to them next summer for £10m?

Great idea - make the call and set it up. 

This is one thing I appreciate about my small-minded fellow Motherwell fans.  Every single day during the transfer window they see players being sent out on loan who often subsequently go on to be sold for millions.  

It seems to be with our fans, the only clubs we can loan to are places like Stranraer and Dumbarton.  The idea of lending our players to a Championship club, for example? Oh, no never.  See, we're wee Motherwell, we're the wee working-class club as Burrows keeps telling us, and we should know our place. 

Totally beyond us to say to someone like Wigan in this case "why don't you give us £100,000 loan fee for Cadden until Christmas, and if he does well,  a fixed transfer fee of £1 million?" 

It's a completely normal way of doing business in the professional leagues. 

But no, not for us - we need to remember our place,