Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Might've missed it, but doesn't look all that clear from the articles I've read. Did the Johnson striker we bought come as a free agent after his contract was up, or did we pay a fee for him? I can't imagine Gateshead giving us him for free after his goal record for them! 

Might've missed it, but doesn't look all that clear from the articles I've read. Did the Johnson striker we bought come as a free agent after his contract was up, or did we pay a fee for him? I can't imagine Gateshead giving us him for free after his goal record for them!

His contract is up so he’s a free agent.

Thought that was the case. Many thanks Cap!

Aye, going by his Transfermarkt page his deal expires at the end of this month so he’s got a fortnight or something like that still to run but I’d have thought if there was any fee (nominal or otherwise) it would have been mentioned in the announcement.

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, going by his Transfermarkt page his deal expires at the end of this month so he’s got a fortnight or something like that still to run but I’d have thought if there was any fee (nominal or otherwise) it would have been mentioned in the announcement.

Aye fair enough then if his contract is up, couldn't find anything that actually confirmed that. Will note that site down for the future,  cheers! 

Aye fair enough then if his contract is up, couldn't find anything that actually confirmed that. Will note that site down for the future,  cheers! 

They get some stuff like that wrong a fair bit but as a general indicator it’s pretty useful. If we’ve managed to get a player with that sort of scoring record in for free then it’s pretty good business and well worth a punt.

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

They get some stuff like that wrong a fair bit but as a general indicator it’s pretty useful. If we’ve managed to get a player with that sort of scoring record in for free then it’s pretty good business and well worth a punt.

Agreed mate! Besides Jacob Blyth who apparently scored a buck tonne at a level or two below, that amount of goals at any level isn't to be sniffed at!

On 13/06/2018 at 20:40, capt_oats said:

I'd say we're definitely still in the market for another striker, a Tanner alternative and a LWB.

Totally fine with us taking a punt here not least because he seems to be a very different sort of striker to what we have.

Here he is lads, some of the goalkeeping and defending btw...

I see ronaldo and De Gea have clearly been watching Danny Johnson's highlights reel

13 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We're away to Celtic the weekend of the League Cup semis and at home to them 3 days after the Final...

Not entirely unlikely we get another triple header.

I wouldnt mind that. As long as we win the cup.

Icelandic fans giving Motherwell credit for their 'Viking' chant in this half million viewed video(3:10).  We can't help but be viral sometimes these days, great job to the Bois in the East Stand.  Over here in North America, even the American Football fans are copying it now, Minnesota Vikings call it the Skol chant.

Not really, but its cool to be mentioned in a video like this.  I just like giving kudos to the young guys whenever I can, I remember my time as a season ticket holder in the mid-late 90s when I was younger in a dreary atmosphere, wishing we had something like what they do now to liven up the place.  Although we sat in the main stand so shit like that was never going to happen there.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Do Motherwell fans seriously try to take credit for this?

I get that the first time the Icelandic folk saw it was in a game v Motherwell, but that slow clapping thing had been going on the continent for years before that.

Jealousy will get u nowhere now. It might have been going on for a while but the Well Bois took inspiration from the film 300 with Gerard Butler. Stjarnan took it back to Iceland after playing us. Then the National fans adopted it. So as you say the Iceland thunderclap has its origins in the Shire. 

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Jealousy will get u nowhere now. It might have been going on for a while but the Well Bois took inspiration from the film 300 with Gerard Butler. Stjarnan took it back to Iceland after playing us. Then the National fans adopted it. So as you say the Iceland thunderclap has its origins in the Shire. 

No not jealous, agree it's great Motherwell get a mention for when the Icelanders first saw it, but it's a bit like Celtic fans trying to take credit for inventing that standing with your back to goal with arms round each other bouncing thing when it'd been going on for years in Eastern Europe previously.

Agree with faddy88 that The well Bois have done a lot for atmosphere at matches, and have probably been the best of the young 'ultra' style groups in Scotland.  Did Well fans pick up the clap from one of their European ties in particular? :whistle

Europe was great for us in giving the Saints support new tunes and displays etc. Eskis in Turkey and Lucerne from Switzerland especially.  Lucerne was probably the best away support I've ever seen at McDiarmid for atmosphere.

Not really..everyone knows that the turning your back to the play and bouncing a la Celtic came from Lech Poznan if I recall. The actual clapping along with the chant HuH - was started by the Bois. The synchronised clapping may have been around before but the Icelandic version came straight from Motherwell. Hence why we are mentioned in the video and countless other news articles on the subject. 

I miss European football but god knows why. The draws are genuinely crap such as sending you lot to deepest Turkey and us to Krasnodar on the Black Sea. I remember with that last draw there were 32 or so potential opponents inc Estoril in Portugal or Brugge or Eindhoven etc etc. Only 3 of the draws did I say I would not or could not go to and yup sure as shit out comes one of the three ! 

My favourite trip was probably Nancy for the 2500 we took and the gap from last game. But Panathanikos was also a great trip. Pop up to see you Acropolis before the game as you do..

8 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Not really..everyone knows that the turning your back to the play and bouncing a la Celtic came from Lech Poznan if I recall. The actual clapping along with the chant HuH - was started by the Bois. The synchronised clapping may have been around before but the Icelandic version came straight from Motherwell. Hence why we are mentioned in the video and countless other news articles on the subject. 

I miss European football but god knows why. The draws are genuinely crap such as sending you lot to deepest Turkey and us to Krasnodar on the Black Sea. I remember with that last draw there were 32 or so potential opponents inc Estoril in Portugal or Brugge or Eindhoven etc etc. Only 3 of the draws did I say I would not or could not go to and yup sure as shit out comes one of the three ! 

My favourite trip was probably Nancy for the 2500 we took and the gap from last game. But Panathanikos was also a great trip. Pop up to see you Acropolis before the game as you do..

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/13/iceland-motherwell-lens-where-did-the-thunderclap-originate

It started with Lens, who've been doing it for over two decades, apparently.