Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Bring him home.

Motherwell-s-Lionel-Ainsworth-celebrates

It's pathetic, but I'd be happy with that.....

I assume that Main is a replacement for Bowman and Fisher is so far out of the picture that he doesn't merit being replaced /harsh

11 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

27612A3100000578-3031201-Bain_refuses_to

You have just signed one of the most frustrating players you'll ever see. Trust me when i say you will either love him or hate him.

On his day he is utterly amzing.

Others you'd prefer a 12 year old child up front.

Id have loved to have him back at Tannadice but obviously its not to be.

My main takeaway from the Ciftci interview is him mentioning that we were in for him in the summer as well. That's three windows in a row we've either been in discussion with him or close to signing him. Hopefully that's enough to make him feel wanted at the very least.

Beyond that it makes me wonder whether it's actually the case that he's always been earmarked as Moult's replacement (short term at least). Obviously we were public about our interest in signing him despite the fact Moult and McDonald were staying last January however he didn't leave for Plymouth on loan until quite late in the summer window (August 21st). It's speculation on my part obviously but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if we'd been in conversation waiting to see whether anyone would pony up cash for Moult and ended up having to patch it when it became clear no one was going to meet our asking price.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that it seems relevant if Ciftci coming in for Moult has been a long-term thing that everyone has been on board with rather than a case of us scrambling around for options. If it is the case that we've got our first choice target then well done everyone.

Edited by capt_oats

Although I remember McGhee moaning about it at the time - I never realised that the fact that we had a game up in Dingwall on the last day of the window was the reason that we couldn't complete the Ciftci deal originally - that's really amateur stuff actually. 

I really hope being the "main man" up front again appeals to Ciftci's ego and helps to get some form out of him...

Interesting that there aren't any murmurs of players heading out the door yet (on loan or by cancelled contract) - I assume that we will want to do something with all the forwards that we have especially...

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Although I remember McGhee moaning about it at the time - I never realised that the fact that we had a game up in Dingwall on the last day of the window was the reason that we couldn't complete the Ciftci deal originally - that's really amateur stuff actually. 

I really hope being the "main man" up front again appeals to Ciftci's ego and helps to get some form out of him...

Interesting that there aren't any murmurs of players heading out the door yet (on loan or by cancelled contract) - I assume that we will want to do something with all the forwards that we have especially...

The best part of that is that the fixture had been re-scheduled by the clubs themselves. It was originally supposed to be played on the 1st Feb.

So we agreed to move the game, play it on deadline day and then low-key moan after the fact that the reason we couldn't get a deal done was because we were travelling back from Dingwall.

I see Alan Burrows tweeted last night they still hope to make further additions both at the back and up top, that would tell me we are actively trying to offload the likes of Bowman or Fisher as they've clearly not had the desired effect we hoped for,  I get the impression we are going to be pretty active during this window.

I'm happy with the Ciftci signing. We know that, somewhere in there, he's got bags of talent and can score goals up here. 

I would suspect that with Ciftci, Main & plans to bring in another striker we're probably going to empty Fisher & Bowman. I was a big fan of Fisher at ICT but he's just not working out. Bowman had a wee purple patch earlier in the season (which coincided with Moult being absolutely on fire) but looks devoid of ideas. The Accies game before New Year was absolutely brutal. In the second half their defence just kept ushering him wide and Bowman was just running straight for the corner flag with clearly no idea of what to do. 

Seeing as Fisher's got another year to run of his deal after this season even a loan would do him some good if we can get his wage covered. I mean if we were able to get Laing out to Notts County on a similar-ish deal a couple of years ago then I'm sure there'd be some League 2 side in England would take him on.

I can't help but feel that Bowman's confidence took a knock after the LC semi-final. There was the incident here he caught Tierney on the thigh last season but the dust settled on that pretty quickly but the fall-out from him breaking Cardoso's face (funny as it was) has meant that every challenge he goes for the opposition are claiming for it.

It's wild to think that his scoring record in non-league down in England compared favourably with Moult. Assuming wiki's numbers are right Bowman was 81 goals in 253 games, so 1 in 3.12. Moult was 47 goals in 161 games so 1 in 3.42. There's an argument that McGhee's handling of Bowman after he arrived didn't really help things either.

Having said all that, he had a decent spell at the start of the season and he's got a LC final appearance to boot, his stock is probably as high as it's been up here. An agent should be able to spin that pretty well. The fact he's out of contract at the end of the season should mean we'd be quite easy to deal with I'd think. 

For me the biggest thing about the Ciftci signing is that it feels like we've been aware we needed a "quality" signing to replace Moult and that shopping in the Vanarama market wouldn't cut it.

I think Tanner will probably be certain to get the 2nd striker position to play alongside Ciftci. I could see Bigi benefiting from having a target with technical ability to aim at as well.

Edited by capt_oats

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's wild to think that his scoring record in non-league down in England compared favourably with Moult. Assuming wiki's numbers are right Bowman was 81 goals in 253 games, so 1 in 3.12. Moult was 47 goals in 161 games so 1 in 3.42. There's an argument that McGhee's handling of Bowman after he arrived didn't really help things either.

I had thought about that too - it probably goes to show that just because someone is scoring a decent amount at non-league level in England doesn't mean that they will find it a breeze here. Moult was clearly playing at a lower level than his talent/potential merited - it may be that Bowman was pretty much at his level already and our top level is a step too far. Bowman contributed really well earlier in the season but that was mostly as foil for Moult rather than in his own right as a main striker and it's been obvious that the pathetic shitstorm after the LC semi had a big effect on him.  

I've got no ill will to Bowman at all - he's never shown a lack of effort and if he got a decent move by being released now, I'd wish him good luck.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

I had thought about that too - it probably goes to show that just because someone is scoring a decent amount at non-league level in England doesn't mean that they will find it a breeze here. Moult was clearly playing at a lower level than his talent/potential merited - it may be that Bowman was pretty much at his level already and our top level is a step too far. Bowman contributed really well earlier in the season but that was mostly as foil for Moult rather than in his own right as a main striker and it's been obvious that the pathetic shitstorm after the LC semi had a big effect on him.  

I've got no ill will to Bowman at all - he's never shown a lack of effort and if he got a decent move by being released now, I'd wish him good luck.

I think that pretty much nails it.

If you look at his career numbers you can see a drop when he stepped up to League 2 with York. Of course, that isn't going to tell the whole story and may have been relative to the team he was playing for in the league (they finished 7th that season, which also saw Wes Fletcher score 13) and the job he was asked to do for the team but he went from top scorer at Hereford to not making double figures at York back to 18 at Torquay and 20 at Gateshead.

5a564ecfee562_ScreenShot2018-01-10at17_28_59.thumb.png.7064aa62c6f932ec8dd9dfd483f493e3.png

Good bit of chat from Robinson and Tait on the socials. According to Robinson the focus is now on getting defenders in, possibly two. Also saying we’ve a couple of boys we’ve got out to look at.

I take it the boy on the right of the picture (in front of Plummer) is one of the “trialists”. Nice to see Adam Livinstone and a couple of the other u20s out there too.

fdc63999553e01cf28654ae862aac2a0.jpg

Decent bit of #content tbh.

Edited by capt_oats