Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

There's a piece in The S*n today with Tom Boyd talking about Phil O'Donnell that got me thinking. Given that Boyd was at Motherwell for 8 years having come through the ranks, made over 250 appearances, captained us to the Cup and had been fucking dynamite on the left with Cooper for his last couple of years - is there a more fitting candidate to be a 'Well legend that in reality just isn't viewed that way?

I get that he went to Celtic and never really gave us a thought after he left - but we tend to eulogise guys that did far less in their time at the club than Boyd. Lambert and O'Donnell both went to Celtic (and took tons of stick when they came back to Fir Park in green and white) but are (rightfully) seen as 'Well legends - why not Boyd? 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

There's a piece in The S*n today with Tom Boyd talking about Phil O'Donnell that got me thinking. Given that Boyd was at Motherwell for 8 years having come through the ranks, made over 250 appearances, captained us to the Cup and had been fucking dynamite on the left with Cooper for his last couple of years - is there a more fitting candidate to be a 'Well legend that in reality just isn't viewed that way?

I get that he went to Celtic and never really gave us a thought after he left - but we tend to eulogise guys that did far less in their time at the club than Boyd. Lambert and O'Donnell both went to Celtic (and took tons of stick when they came back to Fir Park in green and white) but are (rightfully) seen as 'Well legends - why not Boyd? 

He's a total w**k by all accounts.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Being of a slightly older generation swello I always held Joe Wark in the highest regard, can't recall with any confidence but I think he was a 1 club man and was truly one of the nicest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Being of a slightly older generation swello I always held Joe Wark in the highest regard, can't recall with any confidence but I think he was a 1 club man and was truly one of the nicest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Did he play for Nottingham Forest?

Genuine question, I'm constantly convinced there was a Scottish midfielder who played for them in that era but constantly forget to find out

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Genuine question, I'm constantly convinced there was a Scottish midfielder who played for them in that era but constantly forget to find out

That was John Wark I believe he was Joes nephew, Notts Forest escapes me but he played in a fantastic Ipswich side in the 80s

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Quick wee follow up to my initial reply John Wark was also a player I rated highly, almost the kind of player from his era who would still find his way into current day Man City Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal sides, a very versatile player who scored goals for fun from midfield.

There were a few Scottish players at Forest when they were doing well in the 70s and 80s including John McGovern who captained them to two European cups but never once got capped for Scotland, the apocryphal story is Ally MacLeod didn't realise McGovern was Scottish as he spoke with an English accent having moved to England at a young age. Also Kenny Burns, John Robertson, and Archie Gemmill

To being it back on track, I don't think any of them played with Motherwell but I could be wrong.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

1c8528b3af3f37eb61b2958db97394e7.jpg

Dutch club N.E.C are behind you

Pity you didn't give them the job of organising your banner for today.  What was the person responsible for that banner thinking about ? 

Events conspired against you today folks. A wee bit of luck and it could have been so different. Good try anyway and good luck for the rest of the season. 

On 25/11/2017 at 12:17, RandomGuy. said:

John Robertson maybe, played on the wing

Chat seems to be that we've not appealed the Red card from sunday. Part of me is raging about that (especially after reading Rodgers using the trusty "clever" euphemism to describe Sinclair's dive) - but I can also see why the club wants to move on from it. The cup is gone, and losing the appeal (which I think for purely political reasons, we would do) would effectively validate the red card and the penalty which would be a bit of an own-goal. It's a shite state of affairs but I think it's probably the right decision in a no-win situation.

29 minutes ago, Swello said:

Chat seems to be that we've not appealed the Red card from sunday. Part of me is raging about that (especially after reading Rodgers using the trusty "clever" euphemism to describe Sinclair's dive) - but I can also see why the club wants to move on from it. The cup is gone, and losing the appeal (which I think for purely political reasons, we would do) would effectively validate the red card and the penalty which would be a bit of an own-goal. It's a shite state of affairs but I think it's probably the right decision in a no-win situation.

Aye, there's something more to it than just "we don't want to waste time and money".

It didn't stop them wasting time and money appealing (and losing) Richard Tait's booking for simulation against Hibs or Charles Dunne's last man shove in the back in the LC game against County. The very fact that of the many we've appealed this season one of the few we've actually been successful with was Dunne's appeal for a straight red after Cummins' dive in the St Johnstone game makes you think that it should have been a similar outcome as the two cases were almost exactly the same. Even down to the same ref.

Edit: FWIW;

This was successfully appealed:
giphy.gif

But we're not going to "waste time and money" on this one? Hmmmmm.
giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats