Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, Busta Nut said:
I honestly thought the SLO was basically his job. Trying to get himself a lackey.

I never really saw it like that tbh. The SLO idea is sound enough, it’s more the detail that we were looking for in applicants that seemed unrealistic.

As thisGRAEME says every other club in the league seems to have been able to have adopted an SLO (Accies, Morton, St Mirren, QOTS, Killie, County all have one in place along with Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers). Barring the two obvious ones I doubt any of the others handed over a brief to applicants in the same way we did (in the case of Celtic, it's an actual full time position http://www.celticfc.net/pages/supporterliaisonofficer). Looking at what the SLOs at other clubs do (from Twitter, other forums) they basically seem to just be a point of contact, someone to relay information between fans and the club. Questions about ticketing and ticket distribution seem to be the main points rather than paint on the steps of a stand though.

Despite the “fan engagement manager” job title Murrant’s role seemed to be a commercial manager. In a crude sense the bottom line was him being in charge of getting people in through the gates, keeping them there and making sure the club is working to meet customer needs. Again, being crude it was about “how do we generate more money from our potential fan base” with his role being to implement and head up those strategies.

Either way it’s a totally different job. The whole point of the SLO is that they’re essentially supposed to be a “fan rep” rather than a club employee. More akin to a union rep than anything, a conduit between club and fanbase with the idea being that they're in a position to relay points of concern from to fanbase to the club. That’s fine. However expecting someone in an unpaid, voluntary position to be pitching up at 10am on a Monday and Wednesday or taking on the level of responsibility set out in that job description is just unrealistic IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

Sparra sat down with Motherwell legend Stephen Craigan to discuss his career at Motherwell. We discuss being released in 2000, his return to the club, cup finals, the drama of ‘Helicopter Sunday’, European adventures, his relationship with Jim Gannon, taking up the role of under-20’s boss at Fir Park and much more.

Recorded at Fir Park as the players headed for a few well-earned days off, there is some background noise during this episode – the excitement was evident!

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-12/

Great to see Moulty get Player of the Month (when was our last? ) but the panel seem to have somehow failed to see Alan Campbell when watching our one man team.... 

In full agreement with this. Whilst Louis has been a fantastic player for us, he has hasn't even been player of the month for motherwell. As swello said, Campbell has been outstanding, as has Hartley. This is nothing more than lazy journalism based on tv highlights.

I dont think anyone is moaning at it...its just ever so slightly bizarre, that Moult (who we all think the World of by the way) can win SPFL player of the month when there are players playing in the same team as him who have probably been better than him over the course of the month.

As said above, its sheer laziness from whoever dished the award out in my opinion

This is a great thing to be moaning at.

Im certainly not moaning about Louis winning it. I'm happy with any well player receiving recognition like this. However i can think of many a month when he could have won it and never. Yet there was a few players in the team this month who were well ahead of him as far as our best player was. Guess it's more to do with being flavour off the month with however is on the selection board.

Just to clarify - It's better us moaning about this than Zack Jules, Super Joe and our lack of midfield i.e. the shite we put up with last season. That was the point I was trying to make.

FFS Nam style flashback!

Just to clarify - It's better us moaning about this than Zack Jules, Super Joe and our lack of midfield i.e. the shite we put up with last season. That was the point I was trying to make.

It's not moaning. It's more an observation. Or opinion if you want.

16 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I want to get back to moaning about the difficulties in reaching Europa League away games.. 

On 6/30/2016 at 15:07, Casagolda said:

Robbie Leitch officially joins Burnley on a free transfer.

I know I said it before but seriously, what the f**k. How can somebody who's never been deemed good enough to even make our match day squad end up getting signed for a Premiership club.

Mental.

He's signed for us, apparently.

Any word on what sort of player he is? Suitable for the first team squad at our level?

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Any word on what sort of player he is? Suitable for the first team squad at our level?

2:40 

Came off the bench in our youth cup final win to score a cracking 4th goal and set up the 5th. 

That's about all I have tbh, never  made it into our first team squad and he appeared behind the likes of Campbell and Turnbull in the pecking order. 

A Premier League club in England came in at the end of that season and probably offered him quadruple what we did  just to play for their development side and he was off. 

Certainly had a bit of talent but with no first team football behind him it's hard to tell what level he's at really. 

7 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

2:40 

Came off the bench in our youth cup final win to score a cracking 4th goal and set up the 5th. 

That's about all I have tbh, never  made it into our first team squad and he appeared behind the likes of Campbell and Turnbull in the pecking order. 

A Premier League club in England came in at the end of that season and probably offered him quadruple what we did  just to play for their development side and he was off. 

Certainly had a bit of talent but with no first team football behind him it's hard to tell what level he's at really. 

Cheers pal. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Jack Ross has a weirdly mixed transfer record so far - some huge successes, a couple of perma-crocks and several mediocre squad players.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Casagolda's pretty much summed it up in his post above except to say it was Burnley he moved to. That move largely seemed to come out of nowhere especially as he wasn't really a regular in our u20s at the time and tbf you can't really blame someone for taking up an offer to join a Premier League club in England.

In terms of wide players Cadden, Thomas and MacLean were all ahead of him and after he left Jake Hastie stepped in so Leitch was never really missed. Nevertheless, that goal he scored in the Youth Cup final was an absolute peach. I was right in line with it and it was one of those that you knew was a goal as soon as it left his boot.

I think the robbie leitch situation sums up the difficulties for young players - even at a club where there is a decent path into the first team.

Ideally, young players shouldn't make their "big" move before they have decent first team experience because the vast majority of the players who head down south with little or no first team games end up with "boomerang" moves back up the road soon after - usually to a lower level club to the one they leave in the first place. 

I say "ideally" as Robbie Leitch wasn't near our 1st team and it would have been a tempting offer to join a well funded academy - but he'd probably have been as well on loan to St Mirren over the past year.... 

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think the robbie leitch situation sums up the difficulties for young players - even at a club where there is a decent path into the first team and his father is Academy director.

FTFY.

Totally agree though. Listening to Craigan talk about the situation with the u20s in the podcast Busta posted the link to further up the page it puts a lot of things in context, he admits himself that he knows that a decent number of those he's working with won't get into the first team and that's the reality. Similarly there's a weirdly frank interview with Adam Livingstone in the Evening Times that touches on the same sort of thing: 

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15590463.Adam_Livingstone_ready_to_fulfil_Fir_Park_dreams_after_fighting_back_from_the_brink_at_Motherwell/?ref=twtrec

The Leitch one was just quite difficult to get a handle on as he'd gone from not even being a particular stand out in our u20s and nowhere near the first team to signing with Burnley.